News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Haynes manual Here

Main Menu

My 2000 GS500 Fighter

Started by Shanehsmp, February 15, 2012, 02:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shanehsmp

Well,

After months of partying and travelling...football season is back and I now have some time to relax and work on the bike...so this is where we are...

I found a local fabricator and asked him to fab up a new subframe for the solo seat/bobber look...well...it didn't come out as planned...(sorry for the crappy pics)

Frame As delivered to welder...wanted the seat to fit like this...

Well here it is as he saw fit....

As you see the angle is way off from what I wanted, he didn't factor in any support for the under the seat (it would be supported by the lock mechanism)....I was livid...told him to cut it off and reweld it the way I asked him to...back and forth argument...I said screw it and decided to take it home and go with my original plan.....

Hyosung tail, shortened width wise...about an 1.5" or so....

Now my problem is....I need to make up something to support the tail and I need suggestions...should I weld up supports or should I just screw in a series of heavy gauge sheet metal bent/riveted together to form a support cradle under the passenger seat on the tail (bike will be solo seat)

Phil B

Wheell.... if he's a professional welder... maybe he knows something you dont. Like maybe, what you were asking for, would not support your weight for long?

Maybe you should be grateful for his hardheadedness. Odds are, if you found out the hard way, it might be too late for you to go back and thank him for his expert opinion :-}

Shanehsmp

Quote from: Phil B on September 09, 2012, 07:59:17 PM
Wheell.... if he's a professional welder... maybe he knows something you dont. Like maybe, what you were asking for, would not support your weight for long?

Maybe you should be grateful for his hardheadedness. Odds are, if you found out the hard way, it might be too late for you to go back and thank him for his expert opinion :-}

Always has to be that one person. :icon_rolleyes:...

no, he did not do his job...I asked for something and he didn't do it...if he couldn't do what I asked for then he should of informed me...there really isn't anything to it....I'm paying for a service, give me what I pay for or don't do it

cbrfxr67

Fookin do what I say!  I think it's STEEL and basic geometry could get you what you wanted and you could stand on it, jump up and down, whatever on it.

Not sure what you have to work with but I made my locating points to mount the tail first.  Afterwards I welded (you could bolt on) a crossbar and located where the seat would ride best and mounted it.  Admittedly it took me quite awhile, on off, on off, on off, trying to figure out the best place for it.

If you're going to use that tail, you have quite a bit off arse hanging past your support.  I'd prob look for some 3/16" to 1/8" flat bar to where I could get the support in and bolt it on to what genius welder did.  I'm guessing there are supports points that I can't see in the pic.  If you bend, shape, bolt on and meet your mounting points at the angle you want, I don't think you'll have any issues with tail support since it is a solo.

Was looking at pics again, and blacked out, you could still do what you want.  You could make a cowl to help cover the subframe and hide it.  Bolt on your seat support to what's there and be in action.  The cowl (plastic, thin metal) could hide some wiring and also give you good place to mount led tail light under seat (?).  Thanks for the opp to use my mad paint skillz!  heheh  Just imagine the red as black.  Did red so you could see it.

"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Shanehsmp

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on September 10, 2012, 07:40:57 AM

I had the same exact thought, but I felt that It would be the same amount of hastle to fab up plastic to cover he metal used to raise the seat up...I'm just going to go with the tail, might as well (for now).

Anyhow....

Haven't done much....picked up a used rear tire so I could get the bike together and have it rolling...
With no tail....disregard the high headlight....just seeing how to mount the steering damper without it interfering with headlight

With tail

tail, belly pan and hugger ...which is for sale as it will not compliment the look of the bike

Still need to figure out the tail mounting and how I will fill that passenger seat hole....I will thinking heatforming lexan and bonding it to the ABS tail...

mabrio

Good plan and it's getting there mate, looking forward to be completed rebuild ;)
GS500E - Classics
Dynojet Stage 3
K&N Drop in Full System S/S Custom
Barnett Clutch
Iridium DPR8EIX-9
Progressive Front Forks
RK O Ring Chain
GIVI 21ltr Mini Cruiser
GIVI Windshield
GIVI Monorack MR4

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=58809.0

MaxP

A work in progress. Personally do not like the bob. But plenty of others people do. To each their own eh. Thank you for sharing your project.

steezin_and_wheezin

Scrolled through thinking it'd be nice to see the tail width in relation to the tank/frame. Its early here, so i double checked before pleading for the photo. low and behold, you had taken it already!

I think that its going to look fantastic after button up!! The width of the tail fits sniiicely and the bigger rear wheel will compliment for sure. Good work, stoked to see the progress!
if yer binders ain't squeakin, you ain't tweakin!

Shanehsmp

Thanks for watching guys...I had picked up another tail from a pocketbike....but it doesn't look good in comparison to this tail....I finally, kinda got the bike "together"....

final things to do before I fully reassemble and tear back down for painting...

-make tail mounts and bracing
-cut up some vinyl sheets for an undertail
-sheet metal electronics mount for seats under tail/behind the seat
-mount exhaust/chop stock muffler down angle pipe upwards slightly
-figure out wiring out back once I make space for all the wires.
-make a new seat out of the hyosung seat that I currently have

Here's how she sits as of today...

Got some power...

Thinking about using GSXR clip-ons instead of the MX bars...this is so I can mount the speedo directly to the triple...I'm lazy

Shanehsmp

It's been awhile....

Got pretty much all the steel welding done last night.

Relocated the ignition

Finished subframe mounts

Next up, reassembly to get all the wiring sorted out, figure out the remainder of the subframe and have the aluminum welded/reinforced.

Need tires, found a Ducatti Monster can for cheap, gonna cut it and mount it under the frame....Sold the MT-03 headlight, going to get a 7" round light, turns and tail light....lastly, need to figure our what I'm doing for a tail/seat. This is costing me far too much.

Shanehsmp

Picked up the bike last night, welder/machinist did a damn great Job.

Brought it back to my apartment and put it together in my dining room....effing love the feel, just need to figure out my tail situation....I need a nice stubby tail or another pocketbike tail that doesn't look so crazy like the one on there now.....will be figuring out the subframe in a few weeks when I'm not so poor

Wagoneer

Why not something like a Ducati monster tail? I think that would go perfect with your whole theme.
'01 GS500
-140 rear tire
-Jardine exhaust
-jetted
-Katana 600 rear shock
-Sonic .90 fork springs
-1/2" aluminum fork brace
-dual dominators
-R6 throttle tube

Shanehsmp

Quote from: Wagoneer on August 29, 2013, 11:09:39 PM
Why not something like a Ducati monster tail? I think that would go perfect with your whole theme.

I wanted to do that originally,

But over time with all the directions this thing took I stepped away from that idea.  Plus  everyone seems to be using that same seat, I want to stand out just a little.

cbrfxr67

quote: 'stand out just a little'  :thumb:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

jacob92icu

With this tail when it is all painted and the motor is in, I feel like it would look like a tiny motorcycle sitting on a huge motor! Hahaha
I am into buying bikes that people have given up on and fixing them up!

RIP Patrick Lajko, I miss you man.

dB-tje

Nice job!! did this GSXR front end fit without problems?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk