News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

Broken key, stuck in gas cap

Started by EdChen, December 14, 2006, 11:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdChen

So, I know this was my own fault. Last week, I put in the key and it was really tight, frozen, and my key twisted a little, then i gave up.  Today, i went to top her off and i got the gas cap open, but i couldn't get the key out, and it broke in the tumbler.  I couldn't get the tumbler to turn back to the vertical position to get the key out.  I probably should have chucked the key when it was weakened with the first bend :(

This was with my extra key I got made when i got the bike, so i have the original and other copies, so I had a friend bring it to me and i rode home with the cas cap flopping around.

Any ideas as to getting the part out?  Should I just try turn it back with a screw driver, then somehow pull the little part out?

thanks for any help!!

Edward

Egaeus

I'd take it to a pro.  Some thinks are better left to them. 
Sorry, I won't answer motorcycle questions anymore.  I'm not f%$king friendly enough for this board.  Ask me at:
webchat.freequest.net
or
irc.freequest.net if you have an irc client
room: #gstwins
password: gs500

hmmmnz

i have a key broken off in my tank as well (not my doing) i have just left it there,
to open it when im at the gas station, i pull the key from the ignition turn it on its side and use the edge to turn the tank lock.
to close it turn it the other way until it stops then press down on the lid until you hear a click then turn it the rest of the way. easy and not really that much of a hassle :thumb:
pod filters, costum r6 quill exhaust(no baffles)40/140 jets, heavy duty springs, sv650 rear shock, gsxr srad tail, bandit 600 4.5 inch rim with 150 tyre, gsx twin disc front end "1995 pocket rocket"  ridden by a kiwi in scotland

aplitz

Pull the cap, bring it to a local locksmith, they can extract it.  Expect to pay ~$20, at least that's what I charge for theat kind of thing (I'm a locksmith).

EdChen

Would it be possible for them to pull the key without removing the cap, could I ride it there and have them remove it? Thanks a lot for the replies! Looks like I'll be looking for a locksmith tomorrow morning!

Ed

97Octane

Anyone know how much or what the procedure is of getting a dup. made for an 05 GS? My understanding is that they keys are "transistorized" making it more involved than duplicating from a blank.

The only flaw with my bike, is that only have one key. I want another for backup. Any tips you guys can give and anyone have any info on approx. costs?  ***I dont have the bar # that is indicated in the owners manual***

I havent called the stealership yet.

Egaeus

Quote from: 97Octane on December 15, 2006, 08:20:17 AM

Anyone know how much or what the procedure is of getting a dup. made for an 05 GS? My understanding is that they keys are "transistorized" making it more involved than duplicating from a blank.

The only flaw with my bike, is that only have one key. I want another for backup. Any tips you guys can give and anyone have any info on approx. costs?  ***I dont have the bar # that is indicated in the owners manual***

I havent called the stealership yet.

No, it's just cutting a key unless the people at Suzuki went nuts. 
Sorry, I won't answer motorcycle questions anymore.  I'm not f%$king friendly enough for this board.  Ask me at:
webchat.freequest.net
or

EdChen

I just got two more spare keys made at the hardware store here for about $3.50, not all places have the right blank though.  If you find one that has motorcycle blanks, even though it's big and long, the ilco SUZ18 [x241] will work just fine.  I also hear that old volvo blanks work too.

Egaeus

Old Datsun blanks work as well.  I had to go to a locksmith to get any though.
webchat.freequest.net
or

EdChen

Just got back from the locksmith and they worked it all out.  They had to take apart the lock, but half an hour and $29 later, i have a working gas cap :)  Thanks all! <3

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk