News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

1000+ miles o'fun, but Stall-o-matic...

Started by ollie357, June 01, 2004, 11:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ollie357

Hey there. I've just purchased a new GS500F a few months ago and its been fun. However, there is this one major prob. No matter how long i warm up the bike it will ALWAYS stall unless I've actually rode it for 5-10 minutes. I'm guessing that maybe there isn't enough air getting into the carbs? Does that make any sense? Also it will back-fire slightly during intitial throttling. Unburned fuel? I've scoured your VERY USEFUL pages here and noticed that every one re-jets and adds a new air filter to their bikes. Think that will help? My bike is stock so far, BTW. This problem has  been pissing me off :x since I keep stalling for the first few minutes, not because of my technique but rather the bike. Also it's quite dangerous, i.e.
stalling in the middle of intersections, having to overcompensate with the throttle and then having the revs after awhile skyrocket causing you to nearly plow head on into a car, sheesh...
If anyone can help I'd appreciate it, otherwise, I'm off to another  bike. :dunno:
The bike does handle twisties very well though. It would be a shame for me to get rid of it just because the first few minutes on it are crap whereas the rest of the ride is great.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.....

"Back off man! I'm a scientist."
-Dr. Peter Venkman

MarkusN

The GS takes about 10 min to really warm up. I just gradually reduce choke to keep idle somewhere between 2000 and 3000 during the warm up phase.
And you'llg et used to throttle / clutch coordination, even depending on engine temperature.

pantablo

rejetting makes the warmup time reduce to near zero. Do a search on jetting, carb rejet, or something like that for more info. Or check my site, I think I have something there that will help. if you want to buy a jet kit Factory Pro makes one for the 2001+ gs500 (which has different carbs than the 89-00 models, so those jetting rules of thumb dont apply).

Jetting makes a difference alone. Less restrictive air filter requires different jetting still.
Pablo-
http://pantablo500.tripod.com/
www.pma-architect.com

Quote from: makenzie71 on August 21, 2006, 09:47:40 PM...not like normal sex, either...like sex with chicks.

scratch

How about just simply adjusting the idle screw?
The motorcycle is no longer the hobby, the skill has become the hobby.

Power does not compare to skill.  What good is power without the skill to use it?

QuoteOriginally posted by Wintermute on BayAreaRidersForum.com
good judgement trumps good skills every time.

ollie357

I tried something different that seems to help a lot now. After letting the engine warm up I revved it to about  9-10 rpm several times. Really cranked it. That seems to do the trick now. It will however wake up my downstairs neighbor. Hey, whatever'll allow me to get on the road faster..... :thumb:
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.....

-Dr. Peter Venkman

ollie357

I tried something different that seems to help a lot now. After letting the engine warm up I revved it to about  9-10 rpm several times. Really cranked it. That seems to do the trick now. It will however wake up my downstairs neighbor. Hey, whatever'll allow me to get on the road faster..... :thumb:

-Dr. Peter Venkman

Juanfer

Hay dos clases de motociclistas: los que se han caido y los que se van a caer. Ride Safe!

PAC

Where's your choke set?  On my GS500F there's sort of like 4 positions for the choke.  Full on (towards you) and the bike revs to 4000-4300 RPM.  Slightly back and the revs fall to the 3000-3500 range. A little further back and the revs fall down to about 1000 rpm but the bike will freely rev quickly but the rpm's come down a little more slowly when given gas, even while cold.  All the way off results in the normal 1500rpm idle, but it will stall if given much throttle if I haven't been running for at least 5 or 10 minutes.

So after all that... Assuming a cold engine, I start it on full choke.  After 15-30 seconds when the engine is humming at 4k, I back it off to the 3k position while I don the helmet and gloves.  Then it's to the third position for the first 5 or 10 minutes of riding.  I've not had a stalling problem since following those steps.

I don't know if that helps, but it's my $.02
Blue 2005 Suzuki M50.  I used to have a GS500F.

South East Rocket

Pablo, I saw the new avatar.  I know you got you that RR, but I didnt know you started dressing like a Ninja ! :lol:

ollie357

all righty, messing around some more I found that setting the fuel on prime also really helps during the first few minutes on the road, then i switch back to ON. o.k. so its a fuel flow prob, no biggie. i'm still going to re-jet and add a new exhaust system though. Other than that the bike runs great. Rode ~500 miles last weekend ( Boston to Vermont and back)
Butt was sore.

-Dr. Peter Venkman

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk