News:

Registration Issues: email manjul.bose at gmail for support - seems there is a issue that we're still trying to fix

Main Menu

My 1993 GS500 Race bike

Started by burning1, January 15, 2012, 04:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burning1

Hey guys,

I got a request in one of my videos to post up some information on the bike it's self. I figured I would do it here, partially because it was easy, and partially because it helps give the GSTwins forum a little more exposure. :)

Unfortunately, the bike as it was in the videos no longer exists - after siezing the engine, I tore the bike down to the frame, and am currently in the process of rebuilding it as a 450. By the time I'm done, the bike will still technically be a GS500, but there won't be a lot of unmodified original parts left. I'm expecting to be able to to legitimately claim I have a yamakowazuki. ;)

The bike I'm riding in the videos has a heavily modified suspension, and has been lightened significantly for the track, but is otherwise stock. Power plant is completely stock, from airbox to exhaust tip. It even has an OEM air-filter and jetting.

Here are the last standing still pictures I have:

Front end is stock from an 06 GSX-R 600. The stock springs were just about perfect for my weight. It has a Michelin Power One V tire, and EBC Extreme Pro pads, but is otherwise stock.

Rear swingarm and wheel are currently stock. I have a Yamaha R6 shock with stock yamaha spring installed, and a Bridgestone BT003RS 140/70/17 (yes, different tire brands, front and back.)

Engine, frame, filter, fueling, and exhaust are all completely stock. Headlight, insturment cluster, etc... Have been removed. Ignition system is stock, and the bike has been converted to keyless. I also removed the stands, and un-necessary trim bits.

When I raced the bike, it had the stock forks, with cartrage emulators, springs, fluid, and a brace. Front tire was a BT003RS.

I have a dyno chart from the bike that I'll post up at some point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNlTtDLHIyY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAxWM_lZOVE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gymLfLw654Q

Big Rich

I gotta get back to this thread when I'm not on my phone. Looks good on the small screen though!
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

slipperymongoose

Just spitballing here how hard was your front fork conversion?
Some say that he submitted a $20000 expense claim for some gravel

And that if he'd write a letter of condolance he would at least spell your name right.

burning1

Bob Broussard did the work for me. The GS stem was pressed into the GSX-R tripple, and a spacer was machined to fit the upper to the stem. It bolts right on.

Cost for the forks, triple, and wheel was ~$600. Machine work would probably be another $100-$200.

Because it's a full race bike the conversion was really simple - if you're building a GS500 race bike, and you aren't limited by production rules, I would *strongly* advise going the full swap route over modifying the stock internals.

For street use, you're better off modifying the stock forks. With the right upgrades, the stock front end can perform extremely well - there's no need for dual disks or anything. And going that route allows you to retain the stock insturment cluster, handlebars, and headlight.

Going this route will cost ~$400-$500 for the emulators, springs, oil, brake lines, caliper, pads, and fork brace. As you can see from my track photo (yellow plate, #857,) you can get pretty low with that route. It doesn't work nearly as well as the GSX-R forks when cold, though.

slipperymongoose

I would just purely do this for upside down forks. I don't have any problems with the current forks at all.
Some say that he submitted a $20000 expense claim for some gravel

And that if he'd write a letter of condolance he would at least spell your name right.

Big Rich

:bowdown:

Great vids Burning. Very mesmerizing. I think you mentioned it before, but what is the button on the left control that you keep hitting? Surely you aren't blowing the horn that often (please say nitrous.......)

burning1

It's nitrus.

(In all seriousness, it's a compulsive habit from my street riding - I cancel the signal after shifts and turns.)

Legnd

Quote from: burning1 on January 16, 2012, 01:59:27 AM
It's nitrus.

(In all seriousness, it's a compulsive habit from my street riding - I cancel the signal after shifts and turns.)

That's better than me, I just hit the horn accidentally instead of the turn signal... all the time.
Just got into Motorcycling. First bike- 1992 Suzuki Gs500e. Purple with Pink highlights baby!

steezin_and_wheezin

awesome bike!

love watching yer vids, but always catch myself wishing for more road audio!! what cam are you running?

you suggest just rebuilding stock forks for mainly street use.. a gsxr front full inverted forks have always caught my eye, and have been in the big picture for my little gs. is there something with the gsxr front that wouldn't be optimal for street use on the gs? or as you said just for ease of heading/clusters/etc mounting
if yer binders ain't squeakin, you ain't tweakin!

burning1

The 2006+ GSX-R forks come with .90 springs. That might be overly stiff for the street, but it depends on your weight and riding style. Otherwise, they will actually be a little more comfortable than the fully upgraded front end, and will work better when cold. Earlier model GSX-R forks are a little softer, IIRC.

Main reason I recommend against installing them on street bikes is the hassle and cost of doing so. You'll either have to fab up a bracket for your instrument cluster, or replace it completely (which is what I did,) install an electronic speedo, fabricate new headlight mounts (or install a new headlight) and install some turn-signals. The install would be a little more straightforward on a GS500F - you'd just need to install a new insturment cluster or make a bracket... But, the forks wouldn't look as pretty on an F, IMO.

In my case, I installed a Starlane GPS lap timer, which includes an electronic tach, and uses GPS for speed data. Lighting was of course, a non issue.

IMO, the USD forks look pretty bad ass on a naked GS. :)

burning1

Here's the original, unedited video. Audio track is mostly wind noise, but you'll catch some audio in there. Most of the passes happen early in the video. The last 2/3 is mostly tangling with a couple of faster bikes. Lots of room for improvement upon where I was with my riding when the video was taken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sQaIy9I11U

Camera is a Contour HD.

Slack

Are you sponsored by Dasani?   :dunno_black:
Quote from: MeeLee on June 07, 2015, 07:14:25 PM
Be aware, this is not very wise advise!

burning1

Big Rich

Just remembered: have you checked out the Eurospares site? I was browsing around on it and there was a good bit of talk of the Suzuki twins (400, 425, 450, and 500).

Slack

In all seriousness though, in all the threads I've read about building a tack bike no one has ever mentioned having overflow liquids run into a container (although it sure as hell makes sense).  I was reading the VIR track prep guide last night and it didn't mention anything about that.  Is that something that most tracks require?  Do most guys do it on the cheap like you, or are there more visually appealing methods to reach the same ends?
Quote from: MeeLee on June 07, 2015, 07:14:25 PM
Be aware, this is not very wise advise!

burning1

The catch bottle is not required by most track-day providers, but it is required by many trackday organizations. Strictly speaking, it's not mandatory for the GS500, since I don't have coolant or a number of other fluids that can cause problems and necessitate the catch bottle... but I do it to appease the tech guys.

There are nicer mounts... Lots of guys use energy drink cans, and it's legal to just attach the overflow hoses to the airbox. I had a baby bottle on there for a while, but eventually lost the top and replaced it with the Dasini bottle in a pinch at the side of the track. It worked, so I never bothered replacing it.

guilfordin

New LSR racing venue;  Wilmington, OHIO.  Online info at:  ecta-lsr@hotmail.com

The real deal.

Gary

andyroach

Hi,
I have just purchased a couple of GS500's to compete in a new race series in Spain. It is only for GS500's and you can only mod the suspension, exhaust, airfilter and put in a jet kit. You can also fit whatever bodywork you want along with controls.
But, what I want to know (along with a lot of other guys in the series)is what is the R6 shock like on the track. you said it was perfect for your weight. What weight are you?
I'm off to watch your vid. :D
Cheers
Andy

burning1

Hi Andy! Glad to hear you're racing a GS500.

Yes, the R6 shock is just about perfect for my weight, in stock form. I weigh around 180lbs without gear. Stock spring is good, and the adjustments are in the middle of the range, indicating that it should be fine for guys who are a little heavier or lighter than me. Other good news is that replacement springs should be readily available.

Cheers, and let me know how it goes. :)

andyroach

Thanks for that info.
I will be heading a riders meeting tomorrow (Saturday) to sort out the regs.  :sad: But I am really looking forward to getting the beast on the track (and crashing. It's what I do. I'm fast, but tend to forget about the laws of physics).
Any idea what is the best seat unit to fit. I have been looking at them and can't work out which one will fit the best.
Cheers
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk