1996 GS500 Basket Case Build into a GS600R

Started by cbrfxr67, April 12, 2011, 02:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbrfxr67

I agree Shepa on the F2 vs the F3.  F2 is simpler without the F3 'extras.'  Today I spent all day working on the airbox.  I figure go for the hard stuff first.  haha  I mocked it up and got the dimensions and basic plan.  I am big on 'using what you got' and all I could find was the front of an old Snap On toolbox for metal.  Measure, cut, bend, flip, bend, hammer, weld,...I did this all day and still didn't finish.  There isn't much room at the top of the carb.  Down from there, it only opens up to maybe three inches in a pie shape.  I have to save room for my battery, someplace.  I don't want to relocate it up the tail.  The top piece in the picture mounts to another 'plate' that attached to the carbs themselves.

I'm still not sure how to do this.  Today may have been just a beginning exercise in figuring out what to do.  If I choose to use this first idea, I'll have to mount a pod filter under it, or a flat style filter on top.  Going to take some time to solve this puzzle.  Anyone got ideas?   :icon_question:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

jeffdodge

No ideas from me.... but wow. doing a killer job.

cbrfxr67

So, scrapped the first idea using the light steel version.  Tried to clean up the airbox and make it work and couldn't get it to cooperate so onto the next thing.  Thicker metal?  Fiberglass?  Aluminium?  Plexiglass?  Abs?  A Cornwell dealer and avid rider that I know told me to use fiberglass.  Said it was easy and I couldn't really mess it up because you just keep going till you get it right.  I've never fiberglassed before but why not?
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

jebz240

jeffdodge

Fiberglass is pretty easy to do... Though I dont know how I would go about it in this configuration

Shepa

My idea is to use the lower piece of cbr airbox (the one that's bolted to carbs), stuff some filtering material (sponge perhaps) in it, and make a plastic lid/cover for it, either made from original airbox (de/formed with hot air fan), or custom made from fiberglass (shouldn't be too difficult).

Right now, everything is just pure theory and pictures/service manuals/cbr forums checking and rechecking, can't wait to get hold of the donor bike to finally start the project.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

cbrfxr67

I think I will go with the fiberglass idea first.  I already have the mat and the resin/hardener isn't much $.  Maybe the 'lost foam' process will work:  make the mold, cover it in wax paper, fiberglass it up, then spray acetone inside to dissolve the foam.  I think this would work depending on the strength of the final piece.  It isn't going to be a stressed part and I can make a bracket to support it when mounted.  Time to go get some foam & resin,...
-buddha

cbrfxr67

Today started trying to fiberglass the airbox.  Set up a mold out of wood and gave it a shot.  Thought I'd wait a couple of hours and wanted to clean up the headers.  My old vise stand was an old watercooler which never worked from the beginning but I was too lazy to do something about it.  My header kept tipping over till I got annoyed and fab'd up a little stand. 

My work level is typically me sitting on old cat litter buckets so this little stand sits at the same level.  Needless to say, I ran out of time and didn't even crack my mold open.  I did test out an old chain, just to be sure I had clearance on the swingarm.  I was pretty happy to see that all was good.  This is a 530 so the 520 will be even better.(sorry for the dark pic, should've turn on the lights)

-buddha

hhlragnarok

so how can u fit the carb into GS frame?

cbrfxr67

It isn't the carb that won't fit.  It is the airbox that needs a mod to be able to make it work.  The carb fits (see pic) but there is no room between it and the gs tank.  That is my puzzle that I am working to solve right now.
And, didn't get a chance to do anything after Saturday.  Hopefully today when I pop the 'mold' open it will be a good.
-buddha

hhlragnarok

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on May 29, 2011, 04:53:48 PM
It isn't the carb that won't fit.  It is the airbox that needs a mod to be able to make it work.  The carb fits (see pic) but there is no room between it and the gs tank.  That is my puzzle that I am working to solve right now.

How about just cut the bottom of the stock tank and re-weld it?

kml.krk

If you happen to do any welding on the gas tank just be careful.
I was told that even if it's empty it can still explode due to fumes gathered inside  :dunno_white:
Theoretically tank should be filled with water before you do any welding on it.
I have no idea whether it's true. I am not a welder. Good case for Mythbusters I guess  ;)

Anyways it never hurts to be preventive!
Yellow 2004: K&N Lunchbox, Leo Vince SBK, 2005 GSXR Turn Signals, 20/65/147.5, 15T front sprocket, Progressive Springs etc...

"Bikes get you through times of no money better than money gets you through times of no bikes." - Phineas

Twism86

Quote from: kml.krk on May 31, 2011, 08:33:39 AM
If you happen to do any welding on the gas tank just be careful.
I was told that even if it's empty it can still explode due to fumes gathered inside  :dunno_white:
I have no idea whether it's true. I am not a welder. Good case for Mythbusters I guess  ;)

Anyways it never hurts to be preventive!
The best bet is to purge it with a non-flammable gas. Nitrogen for example, if you dont have that some dry ice would probably work.
First bike - 2002 GS500E - Sold
Current - 2012 Triumph Street Triple R
"Its more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"

Tom

Big Rich

Quote from: kml.krk on May 31, 2011, 08:33:39 AM

No offense kml.krk, but that is absolutely not true. You don't want water any where near something getting welded. After all, we are talking about enough electricity to melt steel.

I've seen everything from blow dryers, heat guns, and car exhausts used to dry out a tank before welding. Or fancy shmansy nitrogen........
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

kml.krk

Yellow 2004: K&N Lunchbox, Leo Vince SBK, 2005 GSXR Turn Signals, 20/65/147.5, 15T front sprocket, Progressive Springs etc...

"Bikes get you through times of no money better than money gets you through times of no bikes." - Phineas

cbrfxr67

No updates yet.  Did get my tail light in which really looks nice.  Working on pulling engine, transmission, wiring (everything) out of my van to do a swap into my older van.  This will take me a few days before I can get back to the GS.   :technical:
-buddha

hhlragnarok

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on June 01, 2011, 06:46:51 PM
No updates yet.  Did get my tail light in which really looks nice.  Working on pulling engine, transmission, wiring (everything) out of my van to do a swap into my older van.  This will take me a few days before I can get back to the GS.   :technical:

can't wait to see ur progress man.....

Shepa

In the meantime, here are couple of my pics...

Comparing the sizes...  :icon_mrgreen:

And (some of) the work in progress...

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

cbrfxr67

Wow Shepa!  Looking really good!  scottychop told me to use the engine as a stressed member and I didn't listen, wanting to keep the gs's frame relatively the same.  I think I should've done it your way.  Looks much easier and less weight is always better.  Also you were able to mount it lower than I did without the frame in the way which will give you more room on top.  I can't wait to see how you do the airbox!  You're really making great progress!!  Please keep posting pictures!  Awesome!
-buddha

The Buddha

How is the motor standing there ?
BTW I think cbrfxr67's is a better looking one atleast as of now. The front frame rails give it the needed triangulation, cos steel bends, aluminum is super stiff and the aluminum frames are built with no welds in the neck - you dont get a weld in an aluminum frame till you get ti the widest point of the frame, I'm thinking the front frame rails would help with flex. There also needs to be a good place to hang a radiator.
Cool.
Buddha.

Quote from: Shepa on June 02, 2011, 04:43:38 AM
In the meantime, here are couple of my pics...

Comparing the sizes...  :icon_mrgreen:

And (some of) the work in progress...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk