Author Topic: oh y'know, just another build thread.  (Read 12680 times)

Offline iamhiding

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Formula Extreme Racer
Re: oh y'know, just another build thread.
« Reply #260 on: October 28, 2017, 07:10:25 PM »
hiding, I really appreciate your reply!!

I've been playing around with dogbones and just swapped in the R6 shock on my GS a few months ago. Right now I have raising links to give the rear a 1" lift but was thinking about going taller... but I know I can't do that unless I go back to the stock shock because I had to grind the swingarm just to install the 1" raising links WITH the R6 shock.

So I have been debating whether or not to just do the SV650 shock conversion and go back to the stock dogbones... OR buy the 2" raising links and go back to the stock shock. The SV650 shock swap is actually cheaper than buying more raising links. Crazy!! But buying the 2" raising links would be less work (cuz of the trimming and re-drilling of the SV shock).

I know it's not much work at all but I don't wanna do any more than I have to if I'm not gonna like it.

So you'd say that the raising links almost totally transform the stock GS shock into something good? Can I ask what your weight with gear is? I'm about 145-150lbs.

no worries showbiz  :cheers: like you'll find a lot of this stuff is trial and error, how do you find the r6 shock and 1'' lift? like an inch lift is quite a bit really, from what i've researched suspension tuners don't tend to stray far from lifting the rear 10-15mm for fine tuning. well for track stuff on many bikes anyway.

i can only guesstimate but the sv shock is going to be better suited to the gs with the stock forks, even if the internals are standard if it's a lift you're looking for.

you picked up on a very key point, yes the 2'' lift links will completely transform the gs shock from being a mooshy mess even with preload wound right up to the complete other end of the spectrum however it's borderline too harsh. it works well for my application but i cant imagine it working well on standard forks, i'd suggest against it unless you're all for it as a bit of experimentation.

with the SV shock you're gaining height from the shock length alone without messing the linkage, which is probably the better way to do it, it still changes the leverage ratio but not as dramatically as messing with the bones.

for reference i'm 6ft, 75kg and full gear will be around 10kg on top give or take. that equates to about 187lbs in total.

i think my idea setup would be an inch to an inch and a half lift, the only reason i've got it as jacked as high as 2'' is that i'm working with what parts i have available.

if you just do shorter dogbones, because of the swingarm angle you will definitely wear the rubber chain guide out quicker and possibly have the same sprocket cover issues i've had but then again my problem might be caused by my sprockets being offset. i've not read about this being an issue with the sv shock swap.

if it were me i'd stick with the r6 shock and 1'' lift but if you want to go the dogbone route you could always see what other bikes use dogbones that'll work for the lift. you'll need roughly 165mm eye to eye, just a thought rather than spending waaaaaay too much on jack up kits. for example i used thunderace dogbones.

another option you have is drilling holes to make the original gs dogbones shorter. some people will think that it's sketchy but i've seen it done as many times without bother when swapping shocks to make up for lost height or even just to jack it up a bit, it's not the ideal way to do it though.
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter
//gsxr 1100 mental oldskool supersport
//gs500 daily rat tracker cafe fighter that changes every couple of month... cafe fighter?

Offline Endopotential

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #261 on: October 29, 2017, 08:23:17 PM »
Hey just took a closer look at your polished gas tank, looks great!

Are those Japanese characters painted in a with a stencil?  They don't look like the usual Yoshimura decals.
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=70953.0

2007 GS500F Cafe Fighter - cut off the tail, K&N lunchbox, short exhaust, 20/60/147.5 jets, R6 shock, all sorts of other random bits...

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #262 on: October 31, 2017, 06:57:17 PM »
That is exactly the kind of information I was hoping for. Thank you so much hiding! I think I'm gonna go for the SV swap and see how I like it. I dug up some more threads on it and also found one on eBay right now for $25, shipped.

Even if I don't like it, I can always put things back to how they are now... AND add some missing information/answer more questions/take more pics regarding the SV swap.
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR750 headlight w/LED H7, '01 GSXR1000 signals, Chuck81 fork brace, '05 Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, fenderectomy, R6 shock, 25mm raising links, underglow, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards and pegs

Offline iamhiding

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #263 on: October 31, 2017, 09:58:28 PM »
Hey just took a closer look at your polished gas tank, looks great!

Are those Japanese characters painted in a with a stencil?  They don't look like the usual Yoshimura decals.

hey endo, yeah thanks  :D the tanks more brushed than polished, no point polishing a turd right  :icon_lol: but yeah just sanding pads and brushed in one direction.

nope no paint which kinda confuses people haha the tank is brushed front to back and using a stencil that i made up from a decal, i brushed the logo in with sanding pads left to right so that the logo pops out. yeah it's all just bare metal, i have to give it a wipe over with oil every other day which is a bit annoying  :icon_lol: it looks truly awesome at night when the logo reflects light differently.

and yes it's just the Japanese kanji on the yoshimura logo, theres a few variations and they're usually accompanied by 'yoshimura usa' etc  :thumb: same stencil i used on the frame actually.
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter
//gs500 daily rat tracker cafe fighter that changes every couple of month... cafe fighter?

Offline iamhiding

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #264 on: October 31, 2017, 10:14:18 PM »
That is exactly the kind of information I was hoping for. Thank you so much hiding! I think I'm gonna go for the SV swap and see how I like it. I dug up some more threads on it and also found one on eBay right now for $25, shipped.

Even if I don't like it, I can always put things back to how they are now... AND add some missing information/answer more questions/take more pics regarding the SV swap.

thats what the forums here for  :thumb:

thats a bargain! i always see things going cheap on the us ebay but then the shipping cost is unreal haha  :icon_eek: parts always seem so much more expensive in the UK. like i just had to buy a bracket for the tail swap on my cbr for 25 but i could see them selling for 2 in the US  :confused: :icon_eek: needs must unfortunately.

thats it showbiz, it gives you the option to change things about if you don't like it and even sell whichever you don't use to make some funds back.

current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter

Offline Endopotential

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #265 on: October 31, 2017, 11:44:31 PM »
Don't know, that's a pretty good looking turd  :cheers:

If you get bored of oiling the bare metal, I got mine powder coated clear.  So far it's held up pretty well after about a year.

On to our other topic, I've got an R6 shock.  You think that if I went to a shorter dogbone to raise it 1" or so, that the shock wouldn't have enough travel?  and 2" lift would kill it?
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=70953.0

2007 GS500F Cafe Fighter - cut off the tail, K&N lunchbox, short exhaust, 20/60/147.5 jets, R6 shock, all sorts of other random bits...

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #266 on: November 01, 2017, 12:52:28 AM »
Idk if you were asking hiding or me but I can say that when I put the 1" raising links on my bike about a month ago with the R6 shock (how my bike is currently set up), I had to grind the heck outta the swingarm to make everything fit (right in the same spot you had to tend to in your project thread Endo). I don't think 2" raising links could fit with the R6 shock unless I did some serious actual cutting on the swingarm to allow clearance for the shock. I don't know about it messing with the travel tho.
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR750 headlight w/LED H7, '01 GSXR1000 signals, Chuck81 fork brace, '05 Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, fenderectomy, R6 shock, 25mm raising links, underglow, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards and pegs

Offline iamhiding

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #267 on: January 11, 2018, 11:47:29 PM »
Don't know, that's a pretty good looking turd  :cheers:

If you get bored of oiling the bare metal, I got mine powder coated clear.  So far it's held up pretty well after about a year.

On to our other topic, I've got an R6 shock.  You think that if I went to a shorter dogbone to raise it 1" or so, that the shock wouldn't have enough travel?  and 2" lift would kill it?

:D :cheers:

i've played with the idea of clearing it with powder but i'm not big on high gloss finishes, i've got a blast cabinet and i'm going to be building an oven at some point. one of the potential drawbacks with powder coating is that once the coating gets broken it can allow for moisture to get in behind the powder and with steel, rust can eat things from the inside out yet the powdercoat finish stills looks decent. sounds mad but it can happen to the likes of frames. the tanks damaged, it'll never be worthwhile powdercoating it i don't think, i'd like to track down one of the later larger capacity tanks. in the uk we only got a 15L tank on the early models. i've always found anything clear over bare steel to go cloudy with uv over time and once water gets in it like gives you cracky rust lines under the coating.

the intention was always to let my tank rust and patina up but i keep changing my mind haha or do some kind of rust art. scrapyard camouflage  :icon_lol: it's currently rusting up a fair bit.

i really couldn't say about the r6 shock, clearance is pretty tight against the swingarm with my 2'' jack up links on std shock if i remember correctly and i'd previously ground the area down when experimenting with another shock as well just like you two. the upper shock mount on the frame can always be modified to gain height if need be, that way you'd get the best of both worlds, but obviously its not a plug and play bolt on mod.

current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter

Offline iamhiding

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #268 on: January 12, 2018, 12:07:31 AM »
recently i've been so caught up in another project, think i'm 108 hours into a bare frame restoration/rebuild and nowhere near finished, believe it or not i'm a bit of a perfectionist in spite of the gs  :icon_lol: . so thats taken up the last couple of months of spare time over the xmas period, other projects have been held back as well. also passed the car test so i've been loving blasting hot air in the cold mornings. only times i've used the gs in the last month or so is when it's been snowing  :icon_twisted: :icon_lol:  :thumb: unreal fun haha

it's looking a bit worse for wear with being parked up covered in salt so took it out for a wee blast to free the brakes up a bit and get it dirtier before bath day.

look at the corrosion build up on the engine, this is honestly the most neglected the bikes been in my 5/6 years of ownership. it's not really that bad but i cant be letting it rot away.

rust starting on the tank, think i might do some rust art and let it all patina up, not too sure still.

gave it a long over-due wash! it's not 100% but its not going to rot away. afterwards got everything sprayed up with oil minus the tank so it's all good again.

currently the back brake needs pulled and cleaned as it's sticking, the indicators aren't working which is fine enough for bumbling around locally but obviously not great, need to get a battery for my multimeter so i can sort that and my rear tyre is absolutely knackered and almost unusable. another shock knuckle bearing/s have went again, so got a few things to sort out but all my time/funds getting put into the aforementioned rebuild  :dunno_black: i'll find some time eventually but juggling 4 bikes and a car all needing work in your spare time is ehmm... tedious. all good fun though.
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter