Daeouse

Not bad, man! Please buy a cover though! LOL! :wink:
Jon "MotoSquirrel"
2009 Yamaha V-Star 950
My Blog!

iamhiding

Quote from: Daeouse on January 30, 2016, 06:45:16 PM
Not bad, man! Please buy a cover though! LOL! :wink:

haha I've got 2 sitting, unexpected snowfall but yeah no point at all man, its a bit rat and until its built up properly its not worth the effort, it rains most of the time here at the moment and its contradictive to trap moisture under the cover by putting it on a wet, salty bike. just need to keep it clean and the salt from the roads off of it.

good news though, that is it finally back on the road after a 2 year wait and an intense final month haha :thumb: good fun but damn its slow, but it is what it is and its partly why i love the effing' thing. roll on summer so i can get the new front end on =] few wee things still to fettle with in the mean time. sounds ridiculously loud when cruising, really down think i'll need to strip the can out haha

one thing to note is that the carbs are in need of tweaking on the 1/4 throttle pilot circuit and the 4/4 seems to be marginally lean.

current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter
//gsxr 1100 mental oldskool supersport
//gs500 daily rat tracker cafe fighter that changes every couple of month... cafe fighter?

Daeouse

Understandable. Ride safe on those roads!
Jon "MotoSquirrel"
2009 Yamaha V-Star 950
My Blog!

iamhiding

// wee update

dropping the oil for a long overdue service, as black as you get but no nasties at the bottom :thumb:

old manky k&n and a nice fresh filter.

no nasty stuff in the filter / filter housing either.

finally got round to simplifying the fuel system with the new valve. nice, short, no excess bumf. (just need to remember to turn the fuel off and on haha  :icon_lol:

just showing the routing.

cable tied onto the clutch cable to support it.

and a very quick re-jet. best to make only one change at a time so i threw the 152.5 mains in and reset the mix screws to 3 turns.

only had a short ride as it was like 11.30pm, haven't plug chopped it yet but 4/4 throttle feels much stronger and the issue with 1/4 // 2/4 on deceleration is still present as was expected. need to play with needle height as its either too lean or rich in the midrange, very difficult to differentiate whilst riding. but yeah one change at a time so i'll play with it tomorrow :icon_mrgreen: night well spent  :cheers:

still enjoying the little bike massively, just with i had more time to mess around with it with having to bounce time around on other projects when I've got it spare. :icon_mrgreen:
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter
//gs500 daily rat tracker cafe fighter that changes every couple of month... cafe fighter?

iamhiding

also playing with the idea of going +5t on the back sprocket taking it to a 44t  :confused: would be entertaining with the -2t I'm already running up front  :cookoo: :icon_rolleyes: :icon_mrgreen: just when I've got a spare bit of money to play with really. like I've said before the bike is only for doing short quick, razzing around backroad or into town type miles. really is just a bit of a laugh.

gearingcommander.com << if you're interested in playing around with gearing  :thumb: great resource.
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter

J_Walker

when I rebuilt my engine I cleaned it top to bottom. all fresh metal.. after the first 500 miles I checked the oil. blacker then tar. I think the GS just likes making black oil..  :dunno_black:
-Walker

iamhiding

Quote from: J_Walker on February 12, 2016, 08:55:43 PM
when I rebuilt my engine I cleaned it top to bottom. all fresh metal.. after the first 500 miles I checked the oil. blacker then tar. I think the GS just likes making black oil..  :dunno_black:

Sounds about right dude, pretty sure most engines are the same. Christ my thunderace used to gobble 600ml> every 100 miles or so... The oil never got a chance to get dirty in that beast hahaha constant fresh, almost at 2/ rates.  > :o
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter

Daeouse

Jon "MotoSquirrel"
2009 Yamaha V-Star 950
My Blog!

iamhiding

Quote from: Daeouse on February 13, 2016, 08:52:19 PM
Looks like good work!
thanks dude  :thumb:

so, yesterday i played with the tune a little. and found that although the 152.5 mains made the bike pull stronger at full throttle but it actually had less top end. my speedo which is calibrated to gps accuracy (spot on and unarguable unlike the stock speedo) was struggling do low 90s where as before it was happy till 95 then struggled for the last few mph.

yeah the theoretical 110/115mph the gs has claimed as stock top speed is... very unlikely haha with the work I've put into mine to make it a hot gs, the engine being a healthy and low mileage 22thou, a bit less weight, it being geared for acceleration, should do 117mph @ redline in 6th with the 150/70 rear tyre but i can only scrape an ACCURATE 99mph out of it at a push. i had seen 115/120mph on the old speedo, just shows how inaccurate they are really. I'm not heinously overweight, 6ft & 80kg haha just for the record.

[/url]

raised the needle down one clip to its highest setting, massive improvement midrange.

y'know those o-rings that block the vacuum port that are far too east to lose... hahaha bugger! in the 100 times I've pulled the carbs i can't believe i finally lost one.

cut up a little bit of inner tube just to block the hole for now, just means i can't sync the carbs which is fine as they were synced not long before it came off the road. i do have a spare set of carbs somewhere, but god knows where I've put them. its fine for now though.

// raising the needle sorted out my my 1/4 - 1/2 throttle hesitation on deceleration, played about with the air mix screw out on the road for bit, tried leaner and it was worse and found that 3.5 turns out helped the midrange acceleration (I'm assuming because the circuits overlap albeit slightly) but it developed a < 1/4 hesitation under initial load, i.e. pulling away. dialled it back to 3 and it seems to have diminished it.

now for the top end speed I'm lacking, I'm thinking one of 2 things. either the 152.5s are too rich despite 150 plug chops coming up on the lean side or maybe its down to the new fuel line setup. i wouldn't have thought so but its a possibility and its the little things that can throw it. at the moment I've thrown the 150s back in to test top end again.

wee pic from the snowy tuning session, one of the few roads clear enough to do it. had plenty of fun on the white stuff though  :icon_lol: :cookoo:  :thumb:

carbs are a game of trial and error but I've been threw enough to know what I'm doing nowadays, carbs on the gs are far too easy to work on as well.

so, some more diagnostics and fine tuning are on the cards for today.

//

was helping the brother with the vfr last night, placed his wheel up against mine... now just how badass would that look! it completely takes away from my original intent with the bike though thats the only downside but it lends itself to that madmax / zero fucks given vibe i love so much.

anyway, he's going back to road tyres for the good weather coming in and offered me the front tyre to use so i would just have to buy a rear to suit if i fancied doing it, his 180/55 is no use for a gs. conti TKC80 if you're interested. so anyway its quite likely this will be getting done at some point  :thumb: I'm tempted to keep the forks/wheel/etc and the swingarm/wheel/etc with a set of tkc on them as spares i guess so i can chop and change when i swap the front end and swingarm etc. quite like the idea of that.

ohhh the temptations!  :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

right, cup of tea and craic on  :thumb:
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter

iamhiding

spent some time playing around in the snow and testing it again. 1/4 throttle problem is still present it would seem but mostly when pulling away initially, this is with it at 3 turns. i think I'm going to take a run with 2 and go to the other extreme with 4 just to gauge a better feel of whats going on again, going quarter turn at a time. its not running terribly by any means i just can't find the sweet spot so my thinking is that if it gets better with richer mix above 3 turns its likely needing a size up on the pilot. either way the hesitation when picking up 1/4-1/2 throttle on over run is no longer present.

4/4 throttle is a bit strange, 150 feels airy and i know from the plug chop that it is a smidge lean (lean is better for top end) and the 152.5 pulled better but lacked in the top end. I've lost a couple of mph top end even with the 150s returned as well now so there could be something else at play like the changes I've made to the fuel system even though its higher flow and should eradicate any fuel starvation. really i need to check the plugs with the 152.5s in don't i haha

all this stuff might seem irrelevant but its just to help me remember what I've tried :thumb:

couple of snaps from todays slidey adventures  :icon_lol:

just a shame i don't have those knobbly tyres for it haha
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter

iamhiding

bit of a comical one. was out on the bike, stood up on it to jump off whilst coming to a stop and...

left peg snapped hahaha it must have been cracked from the crash on the old frame. been gifted a set of what seems to be aftermarket bandit 12 pegs to fit/make work :thumb:

wire for the heated grips decided it would rather be, well it would rather be unattached lolz. sealed unit, doesn't appear to be repairable so they'll be coming off tomorrow and getting replaced with a good ol' set of renthal greys :icon_mrgreen:

haven't really had any time to mess about with the gs, just been riding it about popping wheelies at every opportunity, making noise and having fun.

I've also ordered something a bit mental that will hopefully turn up in the next day or so  :nono: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:  :thumb:
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter

ShowBizWolf

ooooooh what a teaser!!

Can't wait to see the pegs  :thumb:

I've entertained the idea of heated grips cuz I like to ride every chance I get (it's not too bad tonight, 38F) but I never got around to buying some.

Loving the thread btw  :cheers:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

iamhiding

Quote from: ShowBizWolf on February 22, 2016, 07:09:17 PM
ooooooh what a teaser!!

Can't wait to see the pegs  :thumb:

I've entertained the idea of heated grips cuz I like to ride every chance I get (it's not too bad tonight, 38F) but I never got around to buying some.

Loving the thread btw  :cheers:

pegs aren't anything special but they're quite tidy, they'll hopefully do the job haha riding around with a stub of a gsxr peg is no use like.

well when i bought the heated grips many a year ago it was my first winter riding, must say they made a hell of a difference when you're out in low or minus temps. they're not scorching hot but its enough to keep the chill off your hands. kind of hated the extra clutter from the wires and the control unit though, that and how chunky they were. can't compare Fahrenheit to Celsius from the top of my head but if you do a lot of riding in 4C and under, you're not fussed about chunky grips i'd definitely recommend them. think I'm going to be running a set of heated gloves for the rest of this winter.

but yeah cheers dude :cheers: quite enjoying having just a F-it, functional, rat, zero F's given project  :icon_mrgreen: its actually quite surprising how many people complement and ask about it given that its not really in the best cosmetic condition. its just not the usual uninspiring commuter that people expect a gs to be.

getting a bit rusty round the edges but it will be much tidier when i get round to painting and stuff when the good weather comes in and the bike becomes tertiary.
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter

ShowBizWolf

The extra clutter and the chunky grips are actually both of the main reasons that I was like ehhh maybe not !! 

I could do more searching/shopping for different kinds I'm sure but something else just always seemed more important... I'm sure we all know how that goes  :icon_rolleyes:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

iamhiding

Quote from: ShowBizWolf on February 23, 2016, 02:28:01 PM
The extra clutter and the chunky grips are actually both of the main reasons that I was like ehhh maybe not !! 

I could do more searching/shopping for different kinds I'm sure but something else just always seemed more important... I'm sure we all know how that goes  :icon_rolleyes:

they were a bit of an impulse buy if I'm honest haha hadn't taken into consideration all the clutter. i'll snap a pic of the setup later on for you before i hopefully get round to pulling them off.

it all just depends on what you're wanting to get out of the bike and wether or not its already doing it for you but if temps are an issue then heated gloves that you only use on the cold days could be a solution. saying that if your using summer gloves when its chilly. stepping up to thick winter gloves makes a considerable difference.

personally what really changed the bike for the better was changing the clipon bars we got in the uk to regular 7/8, putting heavier oil in the forks and preload spacers. think that and the braided lines just transformed the bike into something much more competent than a mooshy unresponsive commuter.

after that the jetting, k&n filter, exhaust, ignition advancing, gearing were really just chasing a bit more entertainment and oomph out of the little thing. i reckon if you can do it on the cheap then its very worthwhile as the bike responds well to it.

loads of other wee things I've done but the above really did transform the gs into something it was never meant to be.
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter

iamhiding

shot of the new pegs yet to be modded & something interesting  :icon_lol:

i thought they are mk1 bandit 1200 rear pegs but I'm not sure now, checked  a pair on line for comparison and the mount wasn't a match so i shall endeavour to find out.

so atlas the little bit of fun i was scheming up!  :icon_mrgreen: 44t (+5t) sprocket coupled with my pre-existing 14t (-2t) on the front  :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: hahaha just a little bit of fun.

if you want to see what kind of changes it would make check gearingcommander.com << excellent resource << and no the bike isn't going to do 70mph flat out like everyone would expect  ;) it should roughly do 106mph real world speed not the wildly inaccurate speedometer reading you take for granted.

annnnnd... the standard length 110 chain isn't long enough... oh balls.  :icon_rolleyes: i had accounted for the change in axle position being relatively minimum but forgot to take into consideration the added diameter of the sprocket itself. because I'm clever like that.

so using : https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/chainlength.html calculator and information from the gs wiki and obviously changing sprocket sizes to match

''

Teeth On First Sprocket   16
Teeth On Second Sprocket   39
Chain Pitch In Inches           0.625
Centre Distance (inches)   25.5

''

worked out i need 111.15 links and because you always round up and to an even number 112 link chain.

works out to be 69.47'' in length.

//

so I'm put in a position where i'll have to replace the chain if i want to run the gearing and then I'm as well off replacing the front sprocket as well, so much for some cheap fun.

yes you should always change sprockets and chain at the same time if its wear rate is going to be an issue to you but my set had covered next to nothing. that and the bike doesn't do massive miles so its the lesser miles out of its lifespan really isn't an issue for me. i would never do this with an old well worn set.

//

bit annoying but its not the end of the world, just going to have to get a chain and possibly a new front sprocket, means I've got a low mileage set to sell or to keep as spares  :thumb:  its cheap enough but still unanticipated cost.
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter

Daeouse

Jon "MotoSquirrel"
2009 Yamaha V-Star 950
My Blog!

iamhiding

nabbed an almost new tsubaki racing - pro 520 for a third of the cost of a new one. its done 100 odd miles on a 2014 zx6. for anyone who hasn't heard of tsubaki... they are the bee's knees :thumb: 38kn and rated for 200bhp on their 520 pitch. its a race chain, spec wise its not too dissimilar from the likes of DID etc's race chains.

so I'm hoping its not a specific joining link required for the chain as i'll have to track one down, order it up and wait an age before i can fit it but I've got this DID 520 for the vx2 sitting, hope its going to be the right size. pin diameters can vary between chain to chain so who knows.

//

been thinking about my plans for a swingarm swap as well. i may still do it but the whole point was that i was going to have a cbr f3 swinger sitting spare and that might not be the case anymore so I'm thinking about putting a bandit 6 wheel on the back as a cost effective way of getting a 160 rear and better tyre choice. I'm not really one for massive tyres, the gs certainly won't benefit from anything larger than a 160, it just doesn't have the power to justify it and its not worth losing the bikes flickibility over looks is it. I've got other priorities with the bikes at the moment so this won't be in the immediate future. certainly not till the cbr is back on the road anyway.

current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter

baronduff

Nice work dude, a lot of problem solving being done :P interested to see how the pegs work out as I'm currently rebuilding my GS and the pegs are a bit... clunky...

Sooo the vacuum crap, am I correct in believing that if I pull off the frame petcock, replace it with inline and plug any and all vacuum ports on the carbs i'll be vacuum free? All this vacuum stuff is just something else to go wrong!

Out of curiosity, who do you insure with? I'm using Bennett's, but they wanted an extra £500.00 (!?!?!?!) to insure me with an after market exhaust from their original reasonable price of £200ish.

Cheers.
'08 GS500F: Fairings removed, MT-03 headlight, Integrated tail light, Brisk BR12ZC plugs, chuck81's Billet Fork Brace.

iamhiding

Quote from: baronduff on March 10, 2016, 08:56:34 AM
Nice work dude, a lot of problem solving being done :P interested to see how the pegs work out as I'm currently rebuilding my GS and the pegs are a bit... clunky...

Sooo the vacuum crap, am I correct in believing that if I pull off the frame petcock, replace it with inline and plug any and all vacuum ports on the carbs i'll be vacuum free? All this vacuum stuff is just something else to go wrong!

Out of curiosity, who do you insure with? I'm using Bennett's, but they wanted an extra £500.00 (!?!?!?!) to insure me with an after market exhaust from their original reasonable price of £200ish.

Cheers.

thanks man :thumb: thinking you're thoroughly prepared, pulling things apart, realising you don't have what you need so putting it back together to repeat another day hahaha happens far too often man. atleast the gs is easy to work on.

yeah you have a couple of options for it but you can remove the frame mounted secondary petcock and block up the vacuum pipe/s without any bother. so option 1. i replaced the petcock on the tank which allows me to just run the one fuel line from the tank to the carbs but option 2. if you stick with the standard under tank one you'll have to put a t-junction in to take the original main/res lines into one before running it to the carbs. if that makes sense.  :icon_lol:

if you're running a pre 01' gs id recommend upgrading the system as they are definitely prone to issues but if its post 01' you're just creating more work for yourself as they aren't as prone to the fuel starving issue. the whole vacuum system is actually really clever, I'm quite a fan of it and plenty of bikes run it without having any issues. id previously upgraded to the post 01' petcock and ran problem free for a long time, my main reason for upgrading the system once again was ditching a bit of weight and clutter but really if its still working its all good and when it finally starts starving you switch it to prime and it runs fine.

another thing to note is that should you accidentally leave the fuel tap on without the vacuum system and your float sticks or the seals under the needle seat go your crank case is going to get a petrol enema. and trust me when it gets hot in there things go bang! :icon_lol: all you're really doing is swapping a potential problem for another.

//

as for the pegs, these bandit ones I've got aren't going to be straight forward but the gsxr pegs i was running before just needed a wee bit of grinding, downside being that getting anything to work on a spring return is going to be hell without swapping rearsets it seems so i just had mine safety wired down. been juggling other projects around so I've just not had the free time to do anything with the gs other than run it about.

//

insurance, theres so many variables but i shop around quite a bit and MCE have been the best prices for me for the last 3 years, they don't charge for modifications but should you need to claim they also don't cover the cost of mods so it boils down to where your priority stands with that. when i declare mods from what would be for example £150 TPFT on my gsxr11 in stock trim it becomes 5-6-£700+ with other companies... its just absurd so in that regard i think mce has my corner of the market. heres hoping i never have to claim haha

yeah i was 105 for my modded cbr600 f3 + 70 i think to add a thunderace streetfighter and then when i binned the fighter it was 40 to switch the insurance from it to the gsxr11. i do love multi bike policies :thumb:

//
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk