News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Haynes manual Here

Main Menu

ShowBizWolf's 1998 GS500E

Started by ShowBizWolf, August 10, 2016, 09:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Rich

83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

J_Walker

No problem I couldn't find it anyway, though I only looked for like 5 minutes.  :D everythings a mess, can't wait until the floors go into the house so I can reorganize my stuff.
-Walker

Suzi Q

Cool looking and nice fab work on the ankle guards. Getting ready to tackle rearsets here.
Deals on Amsoil if you want it. PM me for details.

ShowBizWolf

Thanks everybody!!! :-*

Ok so not much to update just yet. I did order the paint though!! Nose fairing will be Suzuki "33J Pearl Novelty Black" like the tank.

I bought this nifty tail bag on eBay for $17. Didn't like the straps it came with so I bought some black elastic for $3.49 and made my own using the clips the bag came with. Got to actually use my sewing machine for the first time in forever!!

Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

peteGS

Very tidy, that's a great idea! I need to work out something a little neater for my gym gear... now you got me thinking  :thumb:
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

gregjet

Excellant idea. Nice design.

cbrfxr67

"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Suzi Q

That's a sweet little thing and looks good too.
Deals on Amsoil if you want it. PM me for details.

ShowBizWolf

Thanks everybody!!

Not much that's very exciting to report atm... I'm in the middle of replacing the fuel lines... and I finally bought one of those rubber cushions that goes between the frame and the tank. Had to scrape off old rubber/silicone from the improvised one I made like 4 years ago. Also omitted the inline fuel filter that was on my bike when I got it... cuz the old line was stuck to it and I broke it while trying to get it removed :icon_rolleyes:

Having a bit of a headache with replacing the horn. The first one I got was great... plugged in the two wires, turned the key on, beeped it twice, attached it to the bike, wanted to test it one last time and it did nothing. Gave it back to my dad, he tested it on a battery and it still didn't work. Got a replacement... plugged it into the bike, turned the key on, hit the horn button and all it did was click. Like, you could see the disc moving on the front but it wouldn't beep. Gave it to my dad, he tested it on a battery and it works great. Smh I'll be working with it tonight/tomorrow I'm sure. Maybe my battery was just worn down :dunno_black:

Also made a bit more progress on the never-ending fender project. Hoping to have that finished up by next weekend.
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Big Rich

Biz, those horns might still be good. If they are like what I'm thinking, the mounting bolt goes thru the center of the horn..... and if it is mounted to tight, it compresses the "bell" part of the horn and it can't vibrate (and therefore not make noise).

ShowBizWolf

That's good to know!!

I don't think that's the case in my situation though sadly... I tried the horns both on the bike and off... and I had the same results each way. I'm gonna fiddle with it more when I get home from work tonight and see what I can figure out.

ShowBizWolf

Okay so here are the deets. When I'd plug the two wires into the horn and hold it in my hand, with the extra bracket it comes with bolted onto the back, turn the key on and hit the button, it works perfectly.

When I remove the extra bracket the horn comes with (cuz I don't need it when mounting to the GS) and hold it in my hand, turn the key on and hit the button, all it does is click.

Then I mounted the horn to the bike, turned the key on, hit the button and hooray everything works as it should.

Smh just goes to show that even the "simplest" of things aren't always super simple :-P

Big Rich

:woohoo:

Another problem solved...... now get back to work on that fender! Haha.....

ShowBizWolf

Omg you know it!!! Can't wait to get that bugger finally done!!!

ShowBizWolf

New fuel lines are on and the bike is back together. Went so much easier than in the past when replacing those lines!

Painted and cleared the nose fairing yesterday and now I'm gonna get some fender sanding/duraglasing done before work at 3:30.

peteGS

Ooooh progress!!!! Always feels good when you get some stuff done don't it?
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

mr72

what fuel lines did you use? What prompted the change? Sorry if you've covered this before.

I think I need to swap mine too :)  But I like my front fender and stink at fiberglass!

ShowBizWolf

Howdy mr72! I wanted to replace the lines because the last time I did them was in 2013 IIRC and they were getting hard. I think it says in the manual to replace 'em every 4 years too so that also had something to do with it lol. I bought the OEM ones this time along with the clamps because I remember how much of a bear it was last time, struggling to make lines fit and get the right clamps, stop leaks, etc. These were a joy to work with, hands down!

Yes Pete you are exactly right, it really is nice to cross stuff of my list!!

Just a few pics of the progress today:

Can see my new horn in this pic too :D

peteGS

Nice work ShowBiz! Looks like it's coming along nicely there  :thumb:
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

ShowBizWolf

Many thanks, Pete! I got some more done on it today before work. The back section doesn't look like much now but once it's smooth and I do the first coat of primer, I think it'll show the shape and what I was aiming for. I'm still leaning towards painting this half silver and leaving the back half black.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk