News:

The simplest way to help GStwin is to use this Amazon link to shop

Main Menu

Intro to get rid of the silly captchas.

Started by Suzi Q, January 29, 2017, 07:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suzi Q

Been riding since I was a kid, although it's been a while since I had a bike. Girlfriend wanted to learn, so we found an '09 TU250X for her on CL on the cheap. It's at the shop getting tires. Took off on Friday night going on a craigslist hunt, and came back with a running '04 GS with silly mods and 5k miles, and an 01 SV650 with 3k miles that was parked under a tarp 4 years ago and needs love. I'm up where it snows, so the plan is to sort the G out, set up for me and ready for the spring and then get the SV back on the road.

Loaded in the van:

Profile shot:

Silly LEDs.
Deals on Amsoil if you want it. PM me for details.

Suzi Q

Here's a shot of the SV on the back. Dirty from transport, but it wasn't much cleaner before...

Two side by side:

ShowBizWolf

Welcome to the site Suzi Q! Awesome bikes... hope you make a thread to show how the progress goes with them and what ya do!

I took my motorcycle safety classes/test on a TU250... after riding my GS for about a year and a half at that point, boy did that bike feel like a toy! So light and easy to handle.

And hey now... not all led underglow is silly lol... I have purple and green on my bike  :oops:  :icon_rolleyes:

Great intro thread and good luck  :cheers:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Suzi Q

So here's what I know so far:

The GS has about 5k on it. Bought it from a kid that didn't know a lot about bikes...it was his first. Any way, some slight battle damage from that...bent handlebars and scratches on the covers, but easy enough to fix. He did the leds, but somebody before him chopped the fender, changed the signals and ditched the fairings. Also, the muffler says suzuki, but someone must have removed some baffles or something, because it's loud. Runs great though. Already have modulators for it...next looking for handlebars, covers, guards, sliders and springs, as well as normal oil/spark/valve job/chain/tires/sprockets/rearsets/spools. Will also be re-jetting and intake/exhaust as able and over time. Hoping to hit a couple track days with it this summer as I learn to drag a knee. So far, I've just siphoned all the gas out of it.

The SV...I didn't actually seek out the bike...I was more eyeing an 04+, but it was such a sweet deal that I couldn't pass it up. It appears stock save for a set of rear spools. First owner put 2700 on it. Second brought it up to 3400 and then parked it 3-4 years ago. I have keys for it, but gas cap is currently stuck shut, so I'm going to have to get the bad gas out some other way. Once that's done, I'll see about pulling the carbs off to rebuild them and get it cleaned up/running again. I'm not a huge fan of the styling of the S, but it seems like it is comfortable. Once it's running and on the road, I'll decide whether I'll sell it and go after something else, or if i'll trick it out too.

ShowBizWolf

Yeah I was wondering about the exhaust on the GS... noticed the holes in the end of the can. Fender chop looks pretty good from what I can see. Did ya get the grab bar with the sale?
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Suzi Q

Quote from: ShowBizWolf on January 29, 2017, 07:33:32 PM
Welcome to the site Suzi Q! Awesome bikes... hope you make a thread to show how the progress goes with them and what ya do!

I took my motorcycle safety classes/test on a TU250... after riding my GS for about a year and a half at that point, boy did that bike feel like a toy! So light and easy to handle.

And hey now... not all led underglow is silly lol... I have purple and green on my bike  :oops:  :icon_rolleyes:

Great intro thread and good luck  :cheers:

Haha sorry about the underglows...and thanks for the welcome. The GS is fun! I've actually ridden it a bit, and it's good times. Right now it's stock. Has 5k on the clock, and bought, again, from another new rider, so swapped handlebars first thing. I also swapped the grips out on it, and put on a set of Shinko 712's. It's in the shop for tires/sprockets/chain/valve adjust, and once it's home she'll do the spark plug/oil/air filter. As she gets more comfortable, we'll do the shocks/spring, and then remove the second TB butterfly and change the gearing. At some point, the GS will be a natural transition, so she'll be able to bounce around a bit and try different things.

We're going to the BRC in April, so we'll be back on 250's there too. I actually enjoy the little TU...the styling is delicious. I look forward to stealing it from her from time to time.

Suzi Q

Nah, no grab bar. Don't carry pax, so not sweating it. I didn't even think about the holes...that must be it. It actually sounds pretty ballsy that way...not sure about power. I'll have to see if there is a dyno around somewhere.

Suzi Q

ShowBizWolf

Quote from: Suzi Q on January 29, 2017, 07:53:24 PM

Haha sorry about the underglows...

Lmao no sweat!! Haha just was kiddin' with ya. Tbh I have mixed feelings about them as well and I honestly got way more enjoyment out of installing them on my bike than I do knowing they are there sometimes... except when I turn them on and my friends are like oooOOOoooo  :laugh:  And also I know I'm a LOT easier to be seen when riding at night!

Oh WOW the TU looks sharp in that color!

And woot toot the captchas should be gone for you now :D

Suzi Q

They are indeed, but I'll still chat with ya. Your sig says superbike bars...how do you like them?

The TU is great, and super sharp in the red. I got a really great deal on that one too, as it needed work. She loves it, and I'm excited to get it back from the shop.

ShowBizWolf

I've never seen one of them in red, just black cuz that's all they had at the DMV and it really didn't do anything for me. That red is a very very nice color for sure.

I absolutely love the superbike bars. When I got my GS I was 100% new to riding and working on motorcycles and my stock bars were bent (and faded and rusty, yuck) so I took it to a bike mechanic and he put on superbike bars for me. Were only $25 and he said it would make the bike a lot more comfortable for me... and he was totally right!

I actually have a set of clip-ons I bought last year because I wanted to try them out and I like the look... but the comfort of these bars I have now has been stopping me.

Suzi Q

The newest TUX's come in an orange that's rather delectable. Thanks for the info on the bars...I think I might go that route with the replacement as well. They're $22 on BB plus 5% AMA discount. :thumb:

ShowBizWolf

Awesome! You're quite welcome. If it helps I'm 5'7"... different bars fit different people but they really do work great for me. And BB is great for discounts :icon_mrgreen:

urbane

Bike looks great in red, I teach the classes with the silver and gold ones - kinda ugly.

Suzi Q

I think the gold is the orange, which I'm okay with clean. The silver looks good too, but I think that's just that classic look to me. I'm with you guys on the black though. Super bland to me. I know you guys are teaching with them but, if you ever get one to screw with, there are a number of mods that quickly make the TU a fun little bar hopper. tu250riders is a solid forum, but the short list is to remove the second butterfly in the throttle body, open the airbox and drop a tooth up front. You can also do a power commander/auto tune if you want, but I'm hesitant about putting $500 worth of computers on a $600 bike.  :dunno_black:

Suzi Q

Quick post on my way out; shop called...the little TUX is all set to be picked up. In the meantime, my GS exploded.  :dunno_black:

Suzi Q

Here's a closeup of the fender chop for anyone wanting to see. Not super happy with the hardware or drilling holes in the fairing, but it works. Might look to clean it up in the future.

Here's the exhaust. I have no idea if this is going to pass inspection here. I wish I had taken a video prior...it sounds pretty beast. Closest thing I can compare it to would be the Delkelvic 200mm shorty vids you see on youtube. I will post a video in the spring if I still have it. No clue how it affects the actual power of the bike.

Lastly, found a Protek LL-140 lowering link I hadn't seen before. Luckily it has a position for "stock," so up she'll go with the rear suspension swap.

In other news, the underglows appear to be superglued inside the frame. They're [admittedly] kinda growing on me. Took a look at the date codes on the tyres and she's sitting on the same Battlaxs she left the showroom floor with. Not sure yet on what I will replace them with.

As for the SV650...I still can't even get into the gas tank to drain it, so it's looking more and more like I'm going to have to drill and rekey. Either way, the GS is priority for me right now, so not sweating it. Hoping to clean the shop up this weekend and get some more work space.

Quick question...if I were to swap to the Pingel petcock, that means I get to take out the mass of vacuum lines, right? Trying to find ways to clean the bike up.

Thanks, and shiny side up.

- SQ

yamahonkawazuki

figured you were on the other side of the pond somewhere after reading "tyres" cause i was trying to figure out what a tu250 was. when i took my msf course in 2003 i had already owned my first of 5 gs' but the course used suzi cheesy 250s err gz250. although it was fun to take them on the road @ pellissippi st. comm. college. please forgive my rudeness suzi, welcome to ze nuthaus :). if the underglows are purple youll have a fan  in showbiz, plus the occasional visit from pandy as well. heck i had purple valve stem caps. on my sportster. which came from my first gs. i call this place the nuthaus because if you hang afround long enough, you wont be able to leave  muwahahahahahaha.
Aaron
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

Suzi Q

I think my phone auto-corrected that...I'm stateside. TU250 was available in other parts of the world before, but came available in the US with the 2009 year model, and it is the successor to the GN250.

Here's a link to the current year model: http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles/Products/TU250X/2017/TU250X.aspx

Thanks for the welcome, no rudeness detected! Underglows are more blue than they look in the photos. These are my 2nd and 3rd Suzukis...first was a '02 GS600F I bought when I was a kid and sold after about 6k miles. Had a sportster at one point and a couple random dirt bikes over the years, mostly Hondas, but never took the time to get the motorcycle license as a kid, so BRC coming up in the springtime. Should be entertaining, if nothing else, and I'm taking it with my SO, so that should be fun. There's a few track days this summer I'm hoping to be ready for, and an amateur road racing circuit, if I get that far. Right now, just watching the snow fall and dreamin' of warmer days.

ShowBizWolf

+1000000000 to dreaming of warmer days, that's for sure :grumble:

Awesome update!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk