Author Topic: Snapped bolt on oil filter cover  (Read 178 times)

Offline Shift-E

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
Snapped bolt on oil filter cover
« on: May 14, 2017, 10:43:31 AM »
FML. So yesterday, during an oil change, I ended up snapping a bolt on the oil filter cover. I was hoping that 2 bolts would be enough to hold the seal, but of course now it's leaking oil.

Short of taking it to a mechanic to weld the bolt back in place, is there anything I can do to fix this?

Offline Big Rich

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Motorcycle God!
Re: Snapped bolt on oil filter cover
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 11:11:15 AM »
I'm not the kind of guy that says "Google it", but this happens so frequently that sometimes it's best to just see what has worked in the past:

https://www.google.com/search?q=broken+oil+filter+bolt+gs500&oq=broken+bolt+oil+filter+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l2.9283j0j4&client=ms-android-att-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#scso=uid_WRhy2QALHGMKJuyJrgE0PQ_1:16

There are plenty of ways to fix it, it just depends on what skills and tools you have available to you.
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

Offline sledge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Motorcycle God!
  • You mix it??.......with WATER??
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 11:28:36 AM »
                       ***CONGRATULATIONS***

You are the 1000th GS5 owner to snap one of these bolts.

There are several ways to overcome this issue and as Rich says the best option is to google it and decide which method best suits the exact circumstances together with your abilities, resources and confidence.
Wish I had a list of bikes like Dennis :(

Offline myersg11

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 12:55:20 PM »
1st oil change I made = 1st stud I broke ever.
Fortunately easy fix... mine came out with a vice grip.  Really just depends on how far down it broke as to whether you have to drill and tap.  In my case, no need.  Just *carefully* threaded it back in.
2007 GS500F a.k.a. Suzi
2007 GS500F a.k.a. Suki (no, you aren't seeing double)
2001 GS500E a.k.a. Suzette
2001 SV650S a.k.a. Toothless
2006 C50 a.k.a. Suzanne
2014 DL1000 a.k.a. "The Crow"
... and way too many Yamaha XS650s

Offline J_Walker

• World Supersport Racer
  • EST 01/22/1994
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 01:43:39 PM »
-Walker

Offline ski_rush

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 04:58:31 PM »
First, to the OP, I'm sorry this happened to you and I hope you get it figured out.

To the veteran members, are there good tips you would suggest to avoid this problem since it's so common? I was actually going to change my oil this week, and now I'm a little scared to do it. Thanks

Offline Big Rich

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 05:52:08 PM »
The #1 reason this happens is because Suzuki outsourced the studs to a sweat shop in Taiwan...... haha.

All joking aside, the studs usually snap because of people over tightening the acorn nuts. An accurate torque wrench is the proper tool, but I have always used a normal 1/4" wrench, with the socket in the center of my palm. All you need to do is just barely snug the acorn nuts up and they'll be good for thousands of miles.
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

Offline gsJack

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 06:31:11 PM »
Changing oil every 2-3k miles with filter change every other oil change for 180k GS miles I tightened those nuts many many times without breaking a stud.  I used a socket, short extension, and 3/8 drive ratchet and held the rachet head in my hand with the extension between index and middle fingers and snugged them down.  Easy does it, think snug not tight.
407,400 miles in 30 years for 13,580 miles/year average.  Started riding 7/21/84 and hung up helmet 8/31/14.

Offline Shift-E

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 09:20:44 PM »
Thank you so much for the responses, everyone. I think the spring loaded cover tricked me, and I really should have screwed them all on in more of a sequence.

Im relieved to hear that this is a common issues with a simple fix. I wasn't aware that the bolts were actually studs that could be removed and replaced. I had no idea what to search for to try and fix this, so I'm very glad you guys knew exactly what I was talking about.

Would it be completely unheard of to replace the studs completely and simply use one solid bolt? It feels like that would be easier, but I say this before googling to see what these replacement studs even look like...

Offline X-ray

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Formula Extreme Racer
  • My brain hurts.
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 09:42:33 PM »
I've read here in the past the studs may intentionally be the week link. It's easier to replace a broken stud than drill and tap a new hole in the engine case.
'93 gs500 w/ Red Oxide primer paint job. Hasn't been on the road in years but wrenching on it is my escape.

Offline Shift-E

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 11:29:31 PM »
I've read here in the past the studs may intentionally be the week link. It's easier to replace a broken stud than drill and tap a new hole in the engine case.

That actually makes a lot of sense. With it being an aluminum block, the soft metal could easily be stripped and making the repairs way worse.

Offline user11235813

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 05:12:20 AM »
Either buy an inch/lb torque wrench, or go visit someone who has an inch lb torque wrench and then practice on some of your crankcase bolts to get a feel of what 6ft/lbs feels like. Just keep undoing and doing it up until you are confident of how little force it really is. Once you get the hang of it you won't be snapping oil cover bolts.

First, to the OP, I'm sorry this happened to you and I hope you get it figured out.

To the veteran members, are there good tips you would suggest to avoid this problem since it's so common? I was actually going to change my oil this week, and now I'm a little scared to do it. Thanks
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 05:13:19 AM by user11235813 »

Offline Shift-E

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 08:56:33 PM »
Would anyone be able to comfirm the size of the stud? From my researching, im seeing that it is a 6mm stud bolt, but don't know for sure or the length. I want to see if I can find a replacement at a local fastener shop, rather than wait for an oem replacement to be shipped in. Especially for such a small and cheap thing...

Offline Shift-E

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 02:54:26 PM »
Fixed my stud issue. Luckily I was able to get it out with vice grips, but with so many 1/16 turns lol. It was in a tight spot.

I know it isn't ideal, but I actually replaced it with a full bolt. I got an M6x30mm bolt. Im just going to be more careful when pulling that one on and off to not tighten it much and accidentally strip the block.

The dealership wanted near $3 for just one stud. And buying from the states didnt make sense because of shipping costs. I'll probably tack it on when i have a bigger in the future.

I ended up just going to a local hardware store because I was in a bit of a pinch to get it fixed, and all the local fastener shops were closed so I couldnt check to see if they carried any similar studs.

For anyone interested, i believe the stud is 6mm 30-35mm. Dont know the official length though.

Offline Darkstar

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 12:01:29 PM »
You just initiated yourself.
Welcome.
2007F with 18k NY/NJ miles. Stock exhaust/airbox. Rejet to 20/60/132/one o-ring/1.25 turns out.

Offline Shift-E

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 12:03:17 AM »
Trial by fire hahaha