News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Clymer manual Here

Main Menu

Question regarding replacing fuel lines

Started by ski_rush, May 20, 2017, 08:21:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ski_rush

So, I have the 3 oem hoses and clamps I need to replace the fuel lines on my bike. Two issues/questions:

1. Removing old lines. Even though they are cracked and dry rotted at the end of the line, they are much more snug than I expected. I tried pulling it with a pair of pliers and it didn't come off like I expected. I can easily cut then with a razor. Does that sound ok? I'm guessing my current old lines are not stock because the new ones I got have a protective braided covering, whereas these old ones do not. So, any issues with me just cutting them off?

2. Fitting the new lines. I'm assuming the new lines will also be very tight and tricky to get on. Any suggestions on shipping the new lines on? Windex?

Thanks

Rallyfan

You can cut or use some sort of hook to peel back the old lines provided you do NOT score the fittings. The new lines go on very easy and I'm never using aftermarket lines again. Suzuki lines have a different Φ on each end so make sure you use the correct clamp and sort which end goes where.

ski_rush

Dumb questions...I got them off and on pretty easy.

Now, I need to make sure I don't screw the correct placement. All I saw was a white dot on one tube. I hope I don't put it on the wrong place.

Another question. Does the gas tank have a vent tube that hooks into nothing? Where does that go?

ShowBizWolf

I'm not sure that it has a specific routing... but I've had my tank off a handful of times over the years and never had any problems just picking a route for it that ended pointing down towards the ground and making sure there are no kinks.

Getting ready to put my new oem lines on soon too. I'm looking forward to it being much easier than in the past using aftermarket stuff!

Edit: ok after looking up a diagram I believe it's the drain hose for if there's water that gets in around the filler cap
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

ski_rush

I got it done. It wasn't a difficult job. I ran the bike for a few minutes to make sure it's all hooked up right. It sounded fine. I did notice another problem...

It appears that the previous owner got a new battery some time. Well, who ever installed the battery did not hook up a battery breather tube! This has resulted in battery acid leaking into the battery compartment and corroding and rusting various spots there. This has to be addressed... The battery tray seems like a pain to remove because of all the wires connected to it on both sides. I'm thinking I should at least throw some Rust-Oleum on it.

ShowBizWolf

Ugh I know what you mean!! The first time I looked at that battery tray I thought it'd be a pain to remove too! But I did it last summer/fall and it came out great.

Removed all the old foam, sanded it, rusty-metal primered it and then painted it a nice glossy black. Oh and replaced the foam too with the sticky backed kind you can buy at Home Depot (I think it's for around a/c units in windows or something).

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=70880.20
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

ski_rush

Quote from: ShowBizWolf on May 20, 2017, 01:33:12 PM
Ugh I know what you mean!! The first time I looked at that battery tray I thought it'd be a pain to remove too! But I did it last summer/fall and it came out great.

Removed all the old foam, sanded it, rusty-metal primered it and then painted it a nice glossy black. Oh and replaced the foam too with the sticky backed kind you can buy at Home Depot (I think it's for around a/c units in windows or something).

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=70880.20

Any tips on removing the wires connected to the sides of the battery tray? I fiddled with it a little and didn't quite see how to remove/disconnect them.

Thanks

Rallyfan

Quote from: ski_rush on May 20, 2017, 09:25:28 AM
Dumb questions...I got them off and on pretty easy.

Now, I need to make sure I don't screw the correct placement. All I saw was a white dot on one tube. I hope I don't put it on the wrong place.

Another question. Does the gas tank have a vent tube that hooks into nothing? Where does that go?
There is a gas tank drain fitting facing downwards that desperately needs tubing attached to it and routed under the bike away from anything hot else overfilled gasoline may lank on a hot engine and poof!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk