Author Topic: Brakes and tires  (Read 726 times)

Offline 89gS500_Kirk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AMA Supersport Racer
Brakes and tires
« on: June 02, 2017, 07:58:11 PM »
I have an '89 GS500e and the front and rear brakes are not the best. I know I need to change/replace the pads however do any of you have suggestions for upgrades to the entire front brake system? Also what front and rear tires do you all suggest for stock rims? I need to get some new tires this winter and want to make the best decision possible for my limited budget. (I will use my app to upload a couple pics of my bike)

Thanks in advance

Offline 89gS500_Kirk

• AMA Supersport Racer
Re: Brakes and tires
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 08:00:14 PM »
Here is my project, I still want to do more to it but stopped so I could ride her for the summer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline Bluesmudge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • World Superbike Racer
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 08:50:40 PM »
I always thought the GS had pretty good brakes.

The easiest improvement in stopping power is switching to HH brake pads.
If that is not enough you can replace your brake lines with stainless steel lines to remove the flex of the stock rubber lines. I have HEL lines on my bike.
Putting on a thick aluminum fork brace will eliminate some of the pull you get from fork flex under hard braking with a single brake rotor.

After that you are looking at something more complicated. A member on this forum used to sell a bracket to adapt 4 and 6 piston brake calipers for the front but I don't know if he still makes them.
The best upgrade is going to be swapping the entire front end to something like a Katana 600 or GSXR that has dual rotors.

For tires I recommend the Pirelli Sport Demons in the stock size. They have been the best overall tire I have used.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 08:53:52 PM by Bluesmudge »

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 08:52:40 PM »
I recently replaced the stock brake lines, front and rear, with braided stainless ones. Motosport had a sale on Galfer ones back in March. Couldn't pass it up! I very much like the new lines.

I'm sure you'll have a bunch of replies with tire suggestions but I'll throw mine in anyway. I have a 140/80 Michelin Pilot Activ on the rear of my GS and I didn't have to modify anything to fit the bigger size. On the front I have a Michelin Pilot Street, stock size. I have no complaints about either of them.

Your clip-ons look great!

+1 to Bluesmudge... I had my reply all typed out and then he beat me haha. Almost forgot about the thicker fork brace! !
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 10:19:46 PM by ShowBizWolf »
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR750 headlight w/LED H7, '01 GSXR1000 signals, Chuck81 fork brace, '05 Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, fenderectomy, R6 shock, 25mm raising links, underglow, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards and pegs

Offline J_Walker

• World Superbike Racer
  • EST 01/22/1994
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 09:21:21 PM »
if you go with 80 talls in the rear on the GS, plan on getting slightly longer dog-bones to raise the rear a little, or put in a really stiff shock, otherwise you will be rubbing underneath bottom of the plastics on heavy bumps or with 2 up riding.

Properly bled, and some HH brake pads on the bike, make a world of difference.. don't put on anything else, its extra money, but its worth it.
-Walker

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 10:18:55 PM »
Huh, that's strange... Walker, have you encountered that issue? I remember you recently bought new hoops... and I think you went with the 130/80 maybe?

I have stock dogbones and the stock shock on my GS (set to 5) and I've never had a problem with the tire rubbing on anything. I even have the Bandit 400 hugger as well. I do go over some crazy bumps here in PA and I also take a passenger with me from time to time :dunno_black: I will say though, that my chicky friends that have ridden with me were all on the more petite side  :icon_mrgreen:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 02:47:13 AM by ShowBizWolf »
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR750 headlight w/LED H7, '01 GSXR1000 signals, Chuck81 fork brace, '05 Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, fenderectomy, R6 shock, 25mm raising links, underglow, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards and pegs

Offline Big Rich

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 12:51:16 AM »
Kirk, look around for a front caliper from an F model. It has an upgraded piston design compared to the E model caliper. The rear caliper never changed. New braided lines, HH pads, and new fluid, and you'll be good.
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

Offline Suzi Q

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 02:19:45 AM »
+1 for the F brakes being good. I like mine
Deals on Amsoil if you want it. PM me for details.

Offline 89gS500_Kirk

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 01:44:44 PM »
Thanks ALL for the replies, I am planning on making the bike look A LOT better this winter and make these upgrades. I will get the HH Brake pads and braided lines along with BizWolf tire suggestion. I typically do not have anyone on the back and the seat I am changing over to will not be the best for 2 people.

I am going to get progressive springs for the front, should I replace the rear shock as well? I was thinking the R6 sock, I think I read on here where that was a good upgrade. I am 6'4 210 lbs if that changes anything as for shock upgrades.

Thanks again  :cheers:

Offline Suzi Q

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 03:40:44 PM »
Progressive springs are frowned upon.

http://sonicsprings.com/catalog/straight_vs_prog_tech_article.php

Go Kat750 for the rear. It's direct bolt in, and is closer to the original design than a yamaha product.
Deals on Amsoil if you want it. PM me for details.

Offline mr72

• World Superbike Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 04:53:49 PM »
FYI I also have a Pilot Activ on the rear, stock size 130/70. Seems fine. I don't have much to compare it to.

On the front I recently switched from the Shinko 740 that was nearly worn out to a Pirelli Sport Demon again in the stock size 110/70. Night and day better.

There is a ton of information about tire choices for these bikes in the forum, including a lot IIRC from gsJack. Search, read up, etc.

BTW when I bought my bike it had a 6-piston caliper conversion and Hayabusa caliper. I switched back to stock. There is nothing to complain about with the stock brakes as far as I can tell. They seem more than fine to me. But again, I'm not comparing the performance to something else.

Offline qcbaker

• World Supersport Racer
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 05:03:13 PM »
BTW when I bought my bike it had a 6-piston caliper conversion and Hayabusa caliper.

Offline mr72

• World Superbike Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 05:16:46 PM »
BTW when I bought my bike it had a 6-piston caliper conversion and Hayabusa caliper.

Haha.

My thoughts exactly. I sold the 6-piston caliper and conversion kit.

Bike stops on a dime with stock caliper. Works for me.

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 05:18:37 PM »
Kirk, have a look at this thread too, if you have time. Has some good info in it in regards to rider specs and suspension setups:
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=69391.0

Offline qcbaker

• World Supersport Racer
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 05:52:59 PM »
Haha.

My thoughts exactly. I sold the 6-piston caliper and conversion kit.

Bike stops on a dime with stock caliper. Works for me.

Yeah, I've never had an issue with stopping the bike. Only "issue" is that the front suspension seems to dive a bit under even light braking, but that's more of an "I should upgrade my springs" issue than it is a braking issue. But, I don't feel like investing more than I have to into my GS at this point since I'm planning on selling it and upgrading to GSX-R by next year.

Offline Kito

• AMA Supersport Racer
  • slow and low!
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 03:52:25 PM »
I am using the EBC FA231 HH
They are really good.. could not feel any fading at all

2004 Track/Street Rat .... or maybe just trash!

Offline Kito

• AMA Supersport Racer
  • slow and low!
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 04:23:54 PM »

Putting on a thick aluminum fork brace will eliminate some of the pull you get from fork flex under hard braking with a single brake rotor.

Never thought bout this.... nice!

I will study this and I will try to feel this effect under hard braking.... and maybe cut some Al for my GS also! :icon_razz: :thumb:

tks

Offline gregjet

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2017, 08:12:29 PM »
The stock "fork brace" isn't. It is so thin and the holes are so near the edge it is only a mudguard support. They crack often.
I made a new stiffer one bu sandwiching 10 layers of carbon fibre clamped between 2X 5mm Al plates ( bonded to both). It is way stiffer.
Some pics: One of the rough work and the installed :

Offline Kito

• AMA Supersport Racer
  • slow and low!
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2017, 10:23:18 AM »
The stock "fork brace" isn't. It is so thin and the holes are so near the edge it is only a mudguard support. They crack often.
I made a new stiffer one bu sandwiching 10 layers of carbon fibre clamped between 2X 5mm Al plates ( bonded to both). It is way stiffer.
Some pics: One of the rough work and the installed :

Thanks! I appreciate that!

Offline Kito

• AMA Supersport Racer
  • slow and low!
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2017, 10:47:10 AM »
Progressive springs are frowned upon.

http://sonicsprings.com/catalog/straight_vs_prog_tech_article.php

Go Kat750 for the rear. It's direct bolt in, and is closer to the original design than a yamaha product.

I was planning to do the same.... so what do you think about:

1) just increase the spacer size (increase the pre loading)
or
2) fit some air valves on the top fork nut and put some compressed air inside it 

cheers man!

« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 11:43:19 AM by Kito »