News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Clymer manual Here

Main Menu

Brat project

Started by Peter Tez, July 28, 2017, 09:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Tez

Hello..

I am new here, bought a 2005 gs500 a few weeks ago. and I want to make a brat out of it.. I have searched and read tons of stuff here already, and thought it's about time to get involved a bit.

This is how I bought it.

and this is with just some first slight modifications at the front. removed windscreen and put in barend mirrors. also changed the handlebar to some the PO had lying around. I don't think it's stock, but it's ugly enough..

some things were a bit off about the bike though. first, when I cleaned it, I noticed there was water in the filler cap. so I checked the drain hose, which was somewhere it shouldn't be. and it was folded so obviously no water was coming out. the PO said the bike never saw any rain, but I drained the tank immediately and there was not a lot of water indeed.
but a few days later I noticed  the fueltap was backwards on the tank, and the hoses were in their original positions, so ON was connected to RES at the switch, and RES to ON... so I have been riding on reserve the whole time, probably sucking in al the water that came in the tank.

and then I noticed that the spanners that hold the rubber between carbs and cylinders didn't even have any screws in them...

my technical knowledge stops about there, but I hope I won't find any other stuff...

so I will keep any work done posted here, and let's see where the bike ends up :)

tobyd

Looks like a good base for a project! Do you know if that's the original shock? Looks a smidge like an R6 conversion one!

ShowBizWolf

It sure does!!! :D

Welcome to the forum Peter Tez... looking forward to your thread! :cheers:

Oh and are you sure your fuel lines are connected according to the corrected diagrams in the wiki (not the ones in the manuals or parts diagrams)?
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Peter Tez

It is another shock indeed  :) but I don't know which one. I'll post a picture soon to confirm if it is a R6 like you say. it has 2 configuration screws of which I would like to know what they serve for.

the bike is was also upgraded with a dyno jet set and a laser deeptone muffler. but I think I will sell the laser and get myself a megaphone or a shorty slash cut..

and I used the wiki diagrams, but the tank mounted petcock was mounted wrong. but I do like it like this because it's very easy to close that petcock from the left side of the bike.

Peter Tez

so this is the shock

and the right side with laser muffler

so now I want to cut the tail of the frame and try to make my own seat. just to experiment and make it cheap. I have good leather and materials at home.. I only wonder if it's possible to protect the leather for rain without leaving the bike with a greasy ass.

I also want to put on a smaller front fender. is it possible to go cutting the stoch fender? I have no experience working with these plastics...

ShowBizWolf

Looks like the earlier model R6 shock ('06-ish)! Cool!!! :thumb:

It is very much possible to mess with the stock fender. Since owning my GS, I've made two different fenders and am currently working on a third. The first one I did was pretty small/minimal. Then I made one that looked like one from Roc City (Big Rich said that's what it reminded him of and then I had to google it to see what he meant lol!) The one I'm working on now is half 'Busa and half GS.

I've had great success making these fenders using a dremel, fiberglass resin and cloth/mat, duraglas and lots of patience ;)

I'm not gonna clutter up your thread with pics but you can check out my project thread and see the different fenders if you're interested. http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=70880.0 Page 1 and 3 show the first two fenders and then progress on the third starts shortly after that.
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Peter Tez

That first minimal fender you made is very nice!! that's about what I am aiming for...

ShowBizWolf

Sweet!! I don't have any progress pics on that one but it was by far the easiest. Got a cheap stock GS fender off eBay (didn't matter that it had the usual melty spot on the lower back portion) and cut it down the way I wanted with the Dremel. Cleaned up the edges, sanded it, primed it, painted it, cleared it and that's all she wrote!

Did absolutely nothing in terms of stopping road crap from flinging up onto my engine and pipes... and I'm much too OCD for that nonsense lol so that's a huge reason why I moved on from it... but I certainly did like the way it looked.

cbrfxr67

good stuff here,....subd!
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Peter Tez

So I finally had some time to so something with my bike..

I decided not to make my own seat for now, because real leather probably isn't the best idea. and I found a cheap nice seat, so I just bought it..

sorry, no process pictures, I forgot to take some. but this is what it looks like for now.. I just grinded the end of the subframe, drilled some holes for the indicators and the seat brackets, improvised a fender with some scrap metal (mainly for holding the light and licence plate)

it kind of looks crappy, but the idea is becoming visual. now I want to get rid of the mufler and put a black shorty or something like that.
but first I want to clean up the electrics. wait for my smaller battery and make a nice cosy battery box under the seat. Or right behind the lunchbox, where it is still hidden behind the big frame.

I don't like how the subframe looks, so I am figuring out if I should try to weld my own subframe, or if I should try to make this work. I guess I'll try to make this work first..

mrgaru

please post progress pics of the electrical cleanup when you get around to it!!  :tongue2:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk