Author Topic: Brat project 2.1  (Read 427 times)

Offline Peter Tez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
Brat project 2.1
« on: August 27, 2017, 06:09:34 AM »
So I have started a second brat project (I like brats)...

mine is going really slowly because it is my daily ride that I can't miss for a few days. And as I will start a motorcycle mecanics course next month, I was searching the internet for something cheap old to work on.

now I found a 2005 GS500, listed as "motor seized", for $450.
and another 2007 GS500 with working motor (with 9k miles on it!!), frame, rear wheel, tank, and a box full of small parts, for less than $300. the bike had an accident, but the guy assured me he had the motor running after the accident.

so I took a trip to get them both and have myself a nice project :) when this is finished I have a bike to run when working on my other bike..

I will try to document my blood sweat and tears here.

so here is the bike I bought

the bike was dirty!! the pic diesn't show it, but I don't think the guy had ever washed this bike..
first thing I did was checking how 'seized' the engine was. crankshaft was turning, so not seazed at all. drained the carbs and a green liquid came out of 1. trying to get them of I realise it must have been a long time since anyone got those carbs off.
finally off and open, and no wonder the bike didn't run. the pilot jet was 100% clogged, and there was sand all over the place.
so I took the clean carbs with came with the other engine, and the bike started without hesitation  :)

I think fixing a 'seized' engine never will be this easy again.

so I have 2 running engines now.. I will still use the other one, which has less mileage and is a lot cleaner .

the plan: take everything apart, select the best out of the 2 bikes, clean and polish or whatever is needed, modify and paint frame, put everything together. I'm happy I have an assembled bike next to me to comfirm I put together the right pieces :)

after the first day there was this

the yellow bike behind is a running '83 honda cm450 which I found for scraps. this will be a long run project

a little further down the road

here you see how dirty the bike is!!

and then, after 2 days and figuring out a lot of rusted bolts, it looks like this

the pipe is still on, because I tried to get it of for 4 days without succes. I sprayed wd40 and another rust eating spray twice or more a day, but I can't get it out. if anyone has any ideas how to get it out? I found the blowtorch and water technique, but I don't have a blowtorch. the allen key form is not existant anymore so I only tried pliers. here's how it looks like

as I have no garage, I made a little storehouse out of my little van. which from now on will serve for camping trips and as mobile workshop..

to be continued

Offline Endopotential

• Formula Extreme Racer
Re: Brat project 2.1
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 07:25:32 PM »
Wow, you got your bikes for a steal!  Keep us posted  :cheers:

I'd highly recommend deleting as much of the vacuum system as you can.  So far so good on mine.
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=70953.0

2007 GS500F Cafe Fighter - cut off the tail, K&N lunchbox, short exhaust, 20/60/147.5 jets, R6 shock, all sorts of other random bits...

Online gregjet

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 08:57:51 PM »
For the exhaust studs try a mixture of petrol/acetone and castor oil and some heat OR just two stroke oil disolved in petrol. Try and get it to both ends of the thread if you have a stud /nut exhaust flange. Apply it a few times and let it wick in. Might do the trick

Offline Peter Tez

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 03:19:40 PM »
Thanks for the info!

But having the engine out of the frame, I tried it first making a slip in the bolt heads with a grinder, then heating is with a blowtorch, and then going nuts with an impact screwdriver.. it took me a long time, especially the last one (of course...) but I got them out :)

so things are happening slowly. this is my first time I do something like this so I find myself losing a lot of time doind unnecessary things or realizing I should do thing in a different order. I had taken the whole bike apart, to realise I wanted to test the other engine I scored. so I put the basic stuff together with the other engine in to test it. I also realised that if I want to clean the frame with high pressure water, it might be good to have wheels and shocks assembled to protect all the bearings.

anyway, I am enjoying it and learning a lot :)

I have cleaned a lot of bolts and small metal parts with vinegar and steel wool..

this is a before/ after of a footpeg bolt

and some of the parts:

they were realy realy dirty and rusty.. so I am prety happy with the result

this is the partly assembled bike now, with everything needed to start the engine (except the mufler, oil filter and oil)

AND

I scored something else! by fast acting luck I bought a '83 suzuki GS450L in good shape for $450. And I got a parts bike with it for free... this is the gs450l and the parts bike

the parts bike has gs450 frame, engine and carbs. gsx600 ('95) front end and rear suspension, and gs500 wheels and swingarm.
I also have the original gs450 swingarm, gs500 front and a whole lot wiring, parts and brake calipers (which are not in the best shape)

sooo If I can restore the front brake calipers, I have myself a nice front end and rear suspension upgrade for this project..
let's see where this goes..

now next step is to get the engine running, and figure out which parts of the frame I want to cut and weld. Then I can take everything apart again for all the painting (frame, tank and probably engine too)

« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 03:21:56 PM by Peter Tez »

Offline yamahonkawazuki

• Resident MonoPod
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Motorcycle God!
  • -Dum spiro spero (while i breathe, i hope)
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 06:05:41 PM »
Ahh yes. Gratuitous potential bike born. Looking fwd to it.
Aaron
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 02:08:42 PM »
sweetness,...love those quick deals
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline ajensen

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 06:14:26 PM »
You've come across some really great bargains! I know you will have a lot of fun playing with all those parts. Keep us posted.