News:

Registration Issues: email manjul.bose at gmail for support - seems there is a issue that we're still trying to fix

Main Menu

New to me '02

Started by alpo, March 17, 2018, 01:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alpo

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum.

I picked up an '02 about a month ago. Less than 6400 miles, but not well loved. She had been sitting for years with ethanol gas in the system. Nasty stuff when it evaporates. Fuel lines were rotten; the carbs were so gummed up the butterflies wouldn't move.

I cleaned out the tank, rebuilt the carbs and petcocks, and added new fuel lines. The ignition switch was sticking, so went through it, too. Fresh oil and filter. Fired her up for the first time last night - she purrs like a kitten.  :)

Bled the brakes today. New tires on the way. She ought to be ready to ride in a couple of weeks.

Sandgroper57

Welcome Alpo
Glad to see you are getting some reward for your effort. Hope you end up with a good, reliable ride.
Mike
2008 VStrom 650

alpo

Thanks, Mike!

I enjoy working on bikes. Having one fire for the first time is rewarding. :)

ShowBizWolf

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the bike purchase!

I'm always glad to read about a GS being rescued and given TLC.

Do ya have any pics to share with us? We love pics!

-Brittney
:cheers:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

alpo

Thanks!

Here she is right after I brought her home:

gregjet

Doesn't look too bad externally. Left fuel is always a pain. Did you check the fuel tap and the inside of the tank? Looks better than the lump I bought.
Have fun.

alpo

It's not too bad. It's been dropped a few times, but does not appear to have been crashed. The handlebars were badly bent on the right and there are some dents in the right side of the tank. That mark on the tail fairing is a crack someone tried to repair. What's really odd is the instrument panel was badly bent and the plastic gauge holder was destroyed. Almost like someone became angry and beat on it then threw it down a couple of times.

The whole fuel system was awful. I cleaned out the tank with some hot water and Oxiclean, then soaked it with Evapo-rust. It's like new inside. Both of the fuel cocks and the carbs were taken apart and cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner. They came out looking brand new. All new o-rings and seals everywhere.

Someone had been in the carbs in the past: There were Allen-headed bolts on the float bowls and adjustable needles. The jets appear to be stock. I left everything as it was except setting the pilot screws to 3 turns out. She idles well and revs out nicely.

I rigged up some 5/16" ID fuel line to get her running, but it's too thick to fit properly on the gas tank fuel chicken. It's the first one I've seen with two nipples, which makes it a PITA. I need to get some smaller diameter fuel line to make it right.

Next up are the wheels. I'm waiting for tires to come in then will take them both apart.

She'll be a fun bike one of these days.  :cheers:

alpo

New tires came today! Michelin Pilot Street Radials. They should be a significant improvement. The old rear is from 2001!

She ought to be ready for a test ride this weekend.

Sandgroper57

Had a set of Pilot Streets fitted to my GS just this week.
I bought the bike with BT45 front and Sport Demon rear which did the job but never gave much 'feel'.
Very happy with the Michelins. Cornering is more precise and confidence inspiring, also noticably smoother on rough surfaced roads. :thumb:
2008 VStrom 650

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk