News:

Registration Issues: email manjul.bose at gmail for support - seems there is a issue that we're still trying to fix

Main Menu

Gun Owners?

Started by Kijona, May 29, 2012, 10:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Watcher

Remember, a barrel shroud is "the shoulder thing that goes up"  :cookoo:

The people who make the laws against guns are the people who are scared of guns, and people who are scared of guns know nothing about them.

It's the same kind of people that want to ban pit-bulls because they are vicious, and want to ban sports cars because they cause speeding...

The sad part is this "protectionist" culture is being taught in schools.

On several occasions my 8yr old niece has come up to me with some toy in a package and asked me to help her open it.
So I get my pocket knife out and she gasps and recoils slightly, and I am astonished.
Then I have to ask her why she is afraid of my knife?  She usually stays quiet.  I then explain to her if she wants to get the package open, she has to use a knife.  It's a tool, and when used properly is not a danger to anyone.
Then she usually relaxes but it happens every time.

I can't help but think some adult she is around often is putting it in her head that knives are bad.  I'm sure it's guns as well, I've had that conversation with her before and hope I set the record straight but she sees my firearms a lot less often than my pocket knife...

Pussify the youth and you remove the future resistance...
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

Badot

Quote from: Janx101 on March 27, 2014, 01:55:53 AM
A bolt action ..... Assault rifle?! .... Maybe in the hands of 'The Flash' ??!! ....

This is just a beautiful way of putting it that I would never have thought of  :bowdown:

adidasguy

Odd thing is CA bans detachable magazines.I wonder how you load one if you can't remove it?
This is just the tip of the insanity going around.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Watcher

Quote from: adidasguy on March 27, 2014, 12:15:28 PM
Odd thing is CA bans detachable magazines.I wonder how you load one if you can't remove it?
This is just the tip of the insanity going around.

CA legal weapons with detachable magazines, like AR-15s, have "bullet buttons".  The button is recessed and requires a tool to actuate, like a bullet tip, so they can't be quickly reloaded.

-Neil Peart

adidasguy

Seems CA wants it harder to do. Don't  they realize that criminals will still have real guns and not the farkled up legal ones as defined by law? Only the honest will have restrictions. Criminals won't which is why  they are called criminals.

Disassembling your rifle at the range just to shoot  more than 10 or 15 rounds? I'm not sure where a lever action with an end loading feeding tube like a .22 lever gun fits. You can not remove the tube and it holds 18 .22's. Ruger 10-22 is now an assault weapon. I suppose soon someone will make a fast loading bottom fed fixed magazine so you can have fun shooting.

When they say "military style features" I suppose that could include  trigger and a barrel - and they probably will expand the law to include everything.

Interesting that gun related deaths are going down as gun ownership is increasing according to FBI statistics. Also, states with the strictest gun laws have the most violence. You never hear of crimes prevented or stopped by a law abiding person with a gun. Those out number the crimes with a gun. Never a gun shoot out at a gun show - only in "gun free zones" because there is no one to stop the criminal.

Glad I live in WA.

SB 47 amends the definition of an assault weapon to refer to a rifle that has one of several specified military-style features and "does not have a fixed magazine," rather than a gun with one of those features and the "capacity to accept a detachable magazine. Continued legal possession requires that you REGISTER and pay a FEE (TAX) on ALL your semi-autos newly classified as "assault weapons."

These new laws apply to rifles that do not have a fixed magazine. The laws define "fixed magazine" as an ammunition feeding device contained in, or permanently attached to, a firearm in such a manner that the device cannot be removed without disassembly of the firearm action. This wording essentially renders other magazine locking devices useless. AR-15 owners now have to disassemble their firearm action in order to release the magazine.

Just to be sure there is no confusion, the new law states (b) (1) Any person who, from January 1, 2001, to December 31, 2013, inclusive, lawfully possessed an assault weapon that does not have a fixed magazine, as defined in Section 30515, including those weapons with an ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from the firearm with the use of a tool, shall register the firearm before July 1, 2015. See here for exact wording of the law: SB 47.

Roxtar

most "assault weapon" bans apply only to things that are semi-auto and centerfire. a rimfire 10-22 should be okay.
2009 GS500F

Watcher

Wow, glad I'm not moving to Cali any time soon...

Those guys are going crazy with their gun laws.

I remember talks not too long ago about micro-engraving firing pin heads to put microscopic serial numbers and manufacturer data on struck primers so under a microscope the weapon firing the shots could be identified.
It's absolutely ridiculous, even if our technology was currently up to the task it'd be so easy to circumvent and cost so much to do, and would render 100% of all currently owned firearms illegal.

I'm amazed with what they can get away with.

@Roxtar, don't be so sure about that.  Where I live there was an assault weapons ban and it's limitations were defined within any long gun that is semi auto.  Shotgun, .22lr, centerfire, didn't matter.

-Neil Peart

adidasguy

Quote from: Roxtar on March 27, 2014, 02:08:27 PM
most "assault weapon" bans apply only to things that are semi-auto and centerfire. a rimfire 10-22 should be okay.
Depends on the state and the idiots there. It has a removable magazine with 10 rounds or more. NJ has bans and/or registration (read that as future confiscation) of rifles with more than 10 rounds, which by their definition makes Henry lever actions illegal and Henry is based in NJ.

To keep up on what is happening, his site is nice:
http://bearingarms.com/

http://bearingarms.com/now-new-jersey-threatens-to-ban-common-22-rifles-confiscate-guns/

The New Jersey Assembly's Law and Public Safety Committee was scheduled to hold a public hearing on Monday (postponed for snow) about a bill that reduces the maximum magazine capacity from 15 to 10.

Since the legislation covers both detachable and fixed magazines, it has the effect of to banning popular, low-caliber rifles.

The Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs gave the draft legislation to top firearms experts in the country to determine what guns would fall under the expanded ban.

They discovered that the bill would affect tube-fed, semi-automatic rifles because the magazine cannot be separated from the gun.

Thus, the experts found that at least 43 common rifles would suddenly be considered a prohibited "assault firearm," such as the .22 caliber Marlin Model 60, Remington Nylon 66 and Winchester 190.

Just having one such gun would turn a law-abiding owner into a felon overnight.

yamahonkawazuki

Gotta love the gun laws Eh? Every single one has the effect of selling MORE.
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

Soloratov

As a prisoner of commy NY I can attest to the insanity of it all. Our beloved governor here rushed through his backwards law so poorly that it outlawed the police from carrying guns...YEAH, YOU READ THAT RIGHT. For about a month, the police were in violation of state law by carrying their service pistols. But oh that was fixed, then the 7rd limit imposed was just overturned too. How dumb is this administration? Well, ANY kind of AR-15 style rifle that has a pistol grip is illegal...but I can readily attach a bump-fire stock and it's perfectly fine. Here at least the rules are based on semi-auto rifles only. I purposely just went out and bought a beautiful Mossberg MVP .223 rifle for this reason. It uses AR-15 mags, I can attach the oh so scary muzzle break, add a scope, bipod and all the frills I want...cause it's bolt action. Thing is admittedly a tack driver too. The amazing statistic is, that after all these laws go out, MORE firearms are purchased, and lets be honest, Connecticut is a perfect example of how pathetic the registration laws are going to be...ineffective and ignored.

Kijona

I've been thinking about a new purchase lately; possibly selling off a few things too.

I had a guy interested in selling a nice Mark VII, Israeli-made Desert Eagle in .50AE but haven't heard back from him in a while. Probably sold it to somebody else. :(

Watcher

The Desert Eagles set the scale at ridiculous, especially in 50AE.

There's no reason you would need anything with that kind of power in a handgun unless you take evening strolls in grizzly territory, and at the cost per round I would cry every time I went through a magazine.  If I really just wanted one as a range toy I'd get it in .357 so it'd be cheaper to shoot. 
But that's just my opinion.

That being said I heard the DEs are great shooters, and they aren't priced astronomically, so have fun if you get one  :thumb:

I've been thinking of a new gun as well, and selling some of my shooters to help pay for it, but right now I really should save my $$ for car stuff.
Looking at an AR.  Have a few in mind, but I need to get some in my hands.
Would be selling my 1970s Marlin 39A and my Mosin Nagant 91/30.  Don't really use those much anymore...

-Neil Peart

Kijona

Quote from: Watcher on September 06, 2014, 04:40:40 PM
The Desert Eagles set the scale at ridiculous, especially in 50AE.

There's no reason you would need anything with that kind of power in a handgun unless you take evening strolls in grizzly territory, and at the cost per round I would cry every time I went through a magazine.  If I really just wanted one as a range toy I'd get it in .357 so it'd be cheaper to shoot. 
But that's just my opinion.

That being said I heard the DEs are great shooters, and they aren't priced astronomically, so have fun if you get one  :thumb:

I've had a Taurus 4" .44 magnum and a Rossi R971 4" 357. I just got tired of the 357 and the 44 never worked right so Taurus replaced the gun and I traded in the brand new replacement for my Mini 14.

I honestly want the Desert Eagle for its ubiquity and quality. The newer ones aren't as good, but the older Mark VII's are awesome. It uses a rotating bolt design similar to an AR-15 and is also one of the few gas operated pistols in the world. They're extremely accurate and let's face it...you pull that thing out at the range and everybody wants to look at it. :)

Check out Windham Weaponry AR-15's - great for the money.

I've been thinking of a new gun as well, and selling some of my shooters to help pay for it, but right now I really should save my $$ for car stuff.
Looking at an AR.  Have a few in mind, but I need to get some in my hands.
Would be selling my 1970s Marlin 39A and my Mosin Nagant 91/30.  Don't really use those much anymore...

Watcher

Well...  I sold my GS500, and instead of socking the money aside for a new bike come spring I went and did something completely impulsive but incredibly awesome.

:2guns:

I've got all winter to save up $$ for a bike, I'm planning on financing something new anyway, and I've wanted an AR since before I seriously got into motorcycles and never fulfilled that dream.  It's about time I indulged myself in a core desire  :thumb:

-Neil Peart

bombadillo

Quote from: Soloratov on February 03, 2014, 07:04:14 PM
Being that I am stuck in the ultimate commie state, I have been been looking at one of these beauties:

Mossberg MVP Patrol 5.56/.223

OR

Kel Tec SU-16 A/B/CA

Since we were recently informed that all our evil assault rifles were illegal, I needed an excuse to use the existing hardware and ammo I have. So, these guys use standard AR-15 mags. Both are 5.56/.223. I'm leaning toward the Mossberg however...I have a soft spot for bolt action. I like the precision...however, the thrill of semi auto is great. With both coming in around the same price it will come down to which I can get easier as they are both a bit hard to find.

If you want to know anything about the MVP, look no further than www.http://mossbergmvp.com/ 

I'm a mod on that site, and honestly, its probably my favorite long gun to take out and just plink or hunt varmints with.  I really advise you go ahead and grab one when you can.  You'll never regret it for the price.  www.budsgunshop.com is probably the best pricing out there on the MVP lineup.
GS500E with a bunch of cool stuff!

Kiwingenuity

Since its a bit of an unusual one - am picking up a replica DeLisle carbine this week - quite keen to try it out.  My brother has one and it is somewhat quiet for a .45

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Lisle_carbine

Watcher

.45 is engineered for a 5" barrel.  Out of something like a 16" barrel it's damn quiet!  I got to shoot a replica 1920s style "Tommy Gun" and I was surprised at how gentle and quiet it was.

Cool find, that's a little known piece of history there!  :cheers:

-Neil Peart

Kijona

.45ACP has a much slower burning powder than say 9mm variants (380, Makarov, Luger, etc.) and .40. This results in softer, albeit heavier, recoil. .45ACP is one of my favorite rounds to shoot, other than .22LR.

Jespenshade12

I have a 12 shotgun and a .223. No matter what though, I will always take my bow over my guns. Just love shooting the bow.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Watcher

I tried getting into bows for a little while, never struck a chord with me...

I've almost always been into guns, though.  Ever since I was little I always had BB guns or made models of them out of Legos or something.

-Neil Peart

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk