News:

Registration Issues: email manjul.bose at gmail for support - seems there is a issue that we're still trying to fix

Main Menu

2006F - Boring, Run-of-the-mill, nothing to see here, build

Started by GeeEssFive, September 07, 2015, 04:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeeEssFive

Been lazy about posting, bought my buds "not running well starter bike" about a year ago looked like this:

06' F blue and white. His friend learned on it  and put it down at low speed so his uncle who owns a shop painted it and modified it to look "more gixxerish". The list includes: The obvious custom paint that's real matte black, cheapo carbon look levers, carbon look mirrors w/ led signals, fenderectomy with custom led signals, woodcraft clip-ons, and a carbon Yoshi slip-on.

Problems- Bad tires, forks out of whack, leds still had factory bulb holders and bulbs hidden under the seat, not running right (didn't know why at the time), exhaust leak.

GeeEssFive

A year in my possession... we have this:

In no particular order, the extensive list... Buddha"s Magic jets (solved running issues), E conversion using a Dime City Cycles light and cheap brackets from amazon, 3rd eye bicycle mirrors, CRF250X fuel valve, Realigned the forks (needed to realign clip-ons too), Cut off the under-seat luggage bars, removed chain guard, lubed chain, I re-routed and moved some electronic bits around and added a real LED flasher so I could remove the bulbs, new rear tire (front is OK), trimmed and repainted the fender, giant sickspeed horn, Ebay front LED signals, full PAIR system delete, clutch and choke cables were routed wrong and binding- fixed that, bought a luggage net then removed it.

I finish with the most recent picture taken of it featuring yours truly.

yamahonkawazuki

a suggestion once you get used to her. my 97 i had in 2007 i went down 2 teeth on front sprocket. she would pull GOOD lol. downside is it runs engine maybe 500rpm higher at hwy speed. but allows in my opinion more use of what power she makes. also used a k&n lunchbox filter. loved that thing. or if you went up a tooth or two in front. = slower takeoff but better fuel economy. but get used to her first, your mind will tell you what if anything you can do to improve it.
Aaron
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

crackin

Looks good pal, nice job. If i were you, i would shorten the rear fairing by 2 inch's right at the point where the rear handle was. That way you remove the gapping hole left by the handle. Just stick some masking tape where you want to cut and you use the tape as your line. then fiber glass it back together. Just like how they chop hot rod bumpers and such. You will have to move the rear light in 2 inch's as well but thats how project bike go.
No matter what i do to it, it's still a GS
It's not how fast your bike is, it's how long you are prepared to hold the throttle on.

GeeEssFive

I've put about 700 miles or so on it since this last year and I'm pretty happy with the way it behaves, if anything id go up in front, this thing already gets up faster than my car haha.

As far as the tail is concerned I've been through many plans but just keep putting the factory tail back on, but I'm really not a fan of it... its too wide, too long, and its got that gap, but it looks clean so it stays. Here's something I tried, the naked frame, looks cool at some angles but like hell at others so yeah, it stays stock. I bought that grab handle, but haven't gotten around to refinishing it yet- that should help a bit.

crackin

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the "naked frame" either. I like the black frame, i'm gonna go black on mine now.
Maybe you could lower the head light a bit, and lower the dash. Just unbolt it and put the dash plate under the mounts on the triple instead of on top. I'm not 100% it will work but im sure it will. I did it on my bike but i dont have the stock dash plate.
Have fun.
No matter what i do to it, it's still a GS
It's not how fast your bike is, it's how long you are prepared to hold the throttle on.

The fink

Why ya being all modest and stuff, great job, looks fantastic  :thumb:
Be who YOU are, and say what YOU feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
-Dr. Seuss

GeeEssFive

Crackin, I've just been able to see what you did with the gauge set up on yours, it looks awesome and much cleaner than I was expecting from the description. That dual gauge pod is the bane of anyone who has clip-ons on their bike, one of these days Ill go with one of the mini tachs, DCCs got one with the 4 indicators built in to the face in a 2.5" package or I can go 1.9" and come up with my own indicator lights- the smaller would be awesome right off the sender on the forks... just a matter of waiting for my cash to start burning a hole in my pocket again.

Fink, Thanks buddy I appreciate it

Wagoneer

'01 GS500
-140 rear tire
-Jardine exhaust
-jetted
-Katana 600 rear shock
-Sonic .90 fork springs
-1/2" aluminum fork brace
-dual dominators
-R6 throttle tube

GeeEssFive

Funny thing is, that was the first headlight unit I fell in love with, I was originally going to go for a Ninja 250, GROM, or Ruckus, and at that time was interested in strictly micro-streetfighter style things, daydreaming and making imaginary shopping lists on sites like Motomadness. At the moment Im also waffling between wrapping and BBQ paint on the rest of the pipe. At some point (once I figure out the logistics of a stand/spools/no spools) Ill pull the center stand off of there too.

cbrfxr67

"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

GeeEssFive

I did this rough paint/photoshop of an idea Ive been kicking around, Id throw some kinda tail light up under there like some others have done, however every one I've seen who's done that chop did it to a pre-01 model who's seat sits a bit lower. Throwing that up there to see the general feedback on it.

GeeEssFive

Chopped up the perfectly good factory fairing and I'd do it again.

ShowBizWolf

I've not ever been a super fan of belly pans but I have to say, that is an awesome (and smart) way to do it  :cheers:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

GeeEssFive

^^ Thank you very much ^^

After years of going "not yet" and "the technologies not ready" I finally broke down and tried out an LED retrofit headlight. The pictures suck, yes, but taking pictures of light on a cellphone doesn't really work it turns out. This thing is 17 watts, but produces 1200 lumins, cool white in color, it makes signs jump out as they reflect bluer than the light it sends out. It turns on and flips between high and low instantly. The headlight no longer gets brighter as you up rpms or flickers as you idle, in fact none of the bulbs do anymore. I will admit the beam pattern is not the best, but I've yet to be flashed by opposing drivers and after a few "I've been behind you, how annoying am I" impromptu traffic interviews, I'm convinced that unless you're in my miata or a hella dope-fresh slammed VW, I am not a considerable annoyance to other road users. Currently the only incandescent bulbs on the bike are the 2 tail light bulbs. The hints of green in the first is a green parking bulb.

cbrfxr67

"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

GeeEssFive

Winter really hasn't brought to many updates, small rewiring jobs and tidying that really isn't anything to photograph. Thats mostly due to purchasing a new everyday vehicle, and sending that miata up there in the background to weekend/getting worked on duty. I believe I've finally come up with an idea for the rear end of the bike and hopefully I can have it ready once these cold days go away.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk