News:

New Wiki available at http://wiki.gstwins.com -Check it out or contribute today!

Main Menu

1996 GS500 Basket Case Build into a GS600R

Started by cbrfxr67, April 12, 2011, 02:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbrfxr67

Gracias mysterious.  Been working on my panel idea.  I took a bunch of pics but this one pretty much sums it up.  I need to get some rubber trim and haven't figured out where to get it yet.  A bracket down low and one in the front hold it tight.  Not sure how I'm liking it yet but I'll wait to paint it before I decide.

(lost pic)

Started working on another set of carbs for my 600.  Need to finish the right side panel,...need more time in the day!
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

steezin_and_wheezin

took me a second to realize you were holding the filler panel!

i think that looks great from that angle, other than the louvers(which i really like the look of!) you can hardly tell its not stock. looks like it belongs there

Any updates for us?
if yer binders ain't squeakin, you ain't tweakin!

cbrfxr67

Been working on it and sewing it up.  Figured I make some worthy progress before posting again.  Saw that I was at page 20, it's Springtime and I'm still not done, so want to get on it already.  Trying to make my next post as close to finished as possible.
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

steezin_and_wheezin

Awesome, didn't realize you were that close to the final product! We don't mind quick updates, I just love following the progress of builds

Hell i was updating my build thread when i had just a shop full of parts and no GS!! haha
if yer binders ain't squeakin, you ain't tweakin!

xunedeinx

I beat ya to it, and for less time any money!!

(600+ cc sportbike, that is.)

cbrfxr67

Damn straight you did sir and mighty fine acquisition!!!  Looks HOT HOT HOT in your living room.  SEXXXY!
-buddha

cbrfxr67

Wasn't going to update til I was closer to being done but I liked this pic.

Worked on it as much as I could today.  Going to do a quick spray and then come back later for details.  Ordered rubber trim from McMasterCarr to finish my panels with.  Today redid the tail bracket my son made to make it a part of the tail instead of bolted to the frame.  Finished my idea for the front which was something of a pita.  I want to paint it first before posting pics of that monstrosity.
-buddha

knowles

Nice when you going into production on the tails?
1989 GS 500EK

xunedeinx

Thats pretty sweet.

Just worth mentioning though, with my 180 rear I have now, with new michelin pilot power's, It can break the rear end loose.

Gunna be fun hitting 10k rpm with the 140 rear!

xunedeinx

Too long without an update. Are you done yet??

cbrfxr67

Screwing around painting.  Tank turned out to be a total mess.  Used stripper which didn't even get through the nineteen layers of crap paint & bondo that were on it.  Ended up, wire wheel on a grinder, attacking it. 

After I redo the tank then I'll put it all together and post pics.  Finally.
-buddha

adidasguy

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on April 11, 2012, 10:10:25 AM
Gracias mysterious.  Been working on my panel idea.  I took a bunch of pics but this one pretty much sums it up.  I need to get some rubber trim and haven't figured out where to get it yet.  A bracket down low and one in the front hold it tight.  Not sure how I'm liking it yet but I'll wait to paint it before I decide.

If you're talking about rubber trim around the bottom of the tank, that's a stock item. Order from any Suzuki dealer. One pack is enough for 2 tanks.
04+ has same trim but they were cheap and put it only at the front. Probably saved them a whole 25 cents in manufacturing. 89-00 used it all around the tank.

yamahonkawazuki

Quote from: adidasguy on May 07, 2012, 10:58:48 AM
Quote from: cbrfxr67 on April 11, 2012, 10:10:25 AM

If you're talking about rubber trim around the bottom of the tank, that's a stock item. Order from any Suzuki dealer. One pack is enough for 2 tanks.
04+ has same trim but they were cheap and put it only at the front. Probably saved them a whole 25 cents in manufacturing. 89-00 used it all around the tank.
actually cheaper tbh to get some rubber door edge molding from a car parts house ( it fits perfectly. i used the chrome one on my first 97 gs. pretty much same stuff and cheaper versus dealer orders.
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

Funderb

:D

just kidding. take your time. my fzr is still sitting and rusting in the back yard.
Black '98 gs500 k&n Lbox, akrapovic slip-on, kat600 shock, progressive sproings, superbike handlebars, 40/147.5/3.5washers

"I'd rather ride then spend all my time fiddling trying to make it run perfectly." -Bombsquad

"Never let the destination cast a shadow over your journey towards it- live life"

Shepa

Quote from: Funderb on May 20, 2012, 02:02:32 PM

:D

just kidding. take your time. my fzr is still sitting and rusting in the back yard.
:icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:
He does take his time...

Somehow, I feel guilty for completing mine in just 20 days.  :icon_mrgreen:
So far, over 6000 kms of pure pleasure.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Funderb

Your build went badassedly smooth. lucky dog. Turns out the 'fzr1000' I bought has a yzf750 engine in it with one set of bad rings....

How much work do ya think it'd be to put that thing in the gs? :D I might actually measure it and see, I'm pretty sure its too big tho..
Black '98 gs500 k&n Lbox, akrapovic slip-on, kat600 shock, progressive sproings, superbike handlebars, 40/147.5/3.5washers

"I'd rather ride then spend all my time fiddling trying to make it run perfectly." -Bombsquad

"Never let the destination cast a shadow over your journey towards it- live life"

cbrfxr67

TOO funny Funder/Shep!!
And I've been piddling here and there.  Had to redo the tank and still not happy with it but will have to do for now.  I want to get on with it.  Still uncertain about the front.  My son says it looks really weird.  We'll see.  May pull it all off and go with a streetfighter 'mask' later.

Was trying to incorporate my louvre theme into the tail but my subframe is messing up my idea for using the metal panels.  Just wouldn't cooperate so I got Tomb rage and threw it in the trash.

Tried using a piece of plastic sheet that seems to be okay.  Riveted some metal pieces to the inside to give it more sturdiness.  I think I'll go with this.  (Will refinish it in black or bedliner or undercoating)(I like this pic, how the F2 is lurking in the background)

And very true Funder!  Shep's build was like spreading butter,...smooth and easy.  Sure Tesla is a genius but still a great build & riding in no time! 
-buddha

cbrfxr67

Worked on bringing it all together yesterday.  Opinions welcome.

Still have front blinkers and some odds and ends to put together but just about done.  Finally,...haha
-buddha

codajastal

Apart from the weirdo on the bike I think it looks awesome and really MEAN :thumb:
I am not interested in anything you have to say
Don't bother talking to me, I will not answer you

mattnes17

Everything looks great but the front headlight set up. Just no my style. Amazing work tho man  :thumb:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk