News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

Cafe racer

Started by Proar, January 15, 2016, 07:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proar

So this is probably a "common" question in here but i really need some help. I own a gs500e from 96 and i really want a cafe style bike. And with that goes ofc. A seat. But in my country its illegal to cut the frame and since i am a sad law abiding citizen i will obey  :cookoo:

So here are my questions
1: has anybody here done this? I am a metal worker so my resouces should be fine (i just lack the creativity)
2: does anybody have experience with this kit? http://www.dimecitycycles.com/blog/2011/12/dcc-tech-tip-installing-a-cafe-racer-seat-no-welding/
3: is there a recomendation for a custom shop who might be able to help?

All forms of advise are welcome. What i dont need is another: "a 500 is not suitable for cafe!) etc. etc.

Thank you in advance

mwe

Quote from: Proar on January 15, 2016, 07:35:09 AM
(i just lack the creativity)

That hasn't stopped the rest of the cafe racers builds!

From what i can gather, you just take a perfectly good motorcycle....spray the thing with flat black rattle can (including chrome bits and be sure to get the fork legs good) no need to pull the brakes hit them too with the the flat black since when you engage the pads later they will clean up the rotors.  The get a piece of ply wood or ironing board and cut to the size of the seat...cover it with an old leather jacket from the thrift store cut down to size and stapled it to the bottom of your new seat...couple of zip ties here and there and bob's your uncle.

for what its worth if I were to build a custom with a gs500.  i would pull the motor and electronics and bin the rest of the bike.  i would probably then get an older tube framed twin and swap the motor over and go from there but hey thats me...or perhaps just leave it as is and boost the shaZam! out of the motor with a little disco potato as an exercise in shits and giggles.

As a metal worker i would be much more impressed with some crazy pie cuts and tig welds then a plywood seat.

Big Rich

Wow. That was one of the most ignorant things I've read around here lately.

To the OP: since I don't own a GS500, take this advice with a grain of salt. But try and use the original seat pan as much as possible (especially the mounting / latch points). For the rear "humo" of the seat, you have basically 2 options: upholstered foam or a fiberglass tail section. Upholstered foam will give more of a 60's look to the seat, but the rest of the bike will look very modern in comparison. A fiberglass rear section will look more late 70's- early 80's race bike.

What kind of metal working do you do? Welding is one thing, but sheet metal shaping is quite another (Google search for Roccitycafe for a great example).
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

Proar

Well ive already disasembled it and had it painted so no new frame here  :laugh:
And as for what kind of metal work i do i can do both iron, stainless steel and aluminium
But as for those suggestions ill say that i have seen them! I guess ive just thought them to be to hard for a first time bike project.
And that my metal working skills would be the right handed choice. But thanks for the tips so far  :D

cbrfxr67

"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

iamhiding

thats weird man :cookoo:

you've got me interested, where are you from? unless its enforced or it would fail an annual vehicle check if you have one... id just cut it personally.
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter
//gsxr 1100 mental oldskool supersport
//gs500 daily rat tracker cafe fighter that changes every couple of month... cafe fighter?

The Buddha

All these "cafe" kits leave too many exposed fasteners, wiring, other ugly bits, and they almost universally have that retarded a$$ side mounted license plate on the axle nut. yea you spend 30g on a bike and forget to allow a spot to fit the license plate. Big mods should look like they came out of the factory that way. Small mods like a pipe should look like its been modded and you spent a lot of time and $$$ getting it right.
Just as an example - On my Kat FE GS, the 1-2-3 things people notice on mine - the engine side cover, the pipe and headlight ear assy (I cooked those up). The experienced GS'ers notice clip on's ... but not the fact that they dont look like 89 clip on's. Those that have 89 clip on's notice they dont look like their clip on's. But usually not further. I have these retarded clamp on headlight collars and ears - that should be tossed in a few weeks for a modded stock one.

Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Proar

Quote from: iamhiding on January 17, 2016, 01:52:04 PM
thats weird man :cookoo:

you've got me interested, where are you from? unless its enforced or it would fail an annual vehicle check if you have one... id just cut it personally.

Well im from denmark so its sadly by law. But my frame has already been powder colored so im in a stage now where i dont wana risk ruining anything and feel its kinda to late. So yeah  :dunno_black:

Proar

So i have so e pictures of my seat work so far and i would like some opinions both good and bad. But im having som problems with uploading my pics with me reply here. Any admins i should contact? They're all png and in jpg format

Big Rich

Try signing up at photobucket  (for free) and upload your pictures to there. Then you can copy and paste the IMG code to the Twins site.
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

ShowBizWolf

Yeah photobucket or imgur... I've even used some pics I have in my GS album on my facebook... linking the pics to this site is the way to go since the upload thing hasn't worked for a while now.

Totally want to see what you've come up with !!
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Proar

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/proar16/embed/slideshow/Mobile%20Uploads"></iframe>

This should hopefully work :D

Daeouse

that looks painful to sit on. . .

Doing it without modding the frame is quite possible!

Here's some motivation I found for you:
Jon "MotoSquirrel"
2009 Yamaha V-Star 950
My Blog!

Proar

Well i still need to polster it and for that ive bought some foam that is a bit harder than normal? Those pictures are just what i have so far

lucas

How come you built the seat up so high, are you extremely tall?

Proar

Quote from: lucas on March 27, 2016, 10:10:26 PM
How come you built the seat up so high, are you extremely tall?

For one yes. But im also trying to use the original seat holder and the front clip holder on the bike

lucas

I'm only 6'1 and when I get off after a 45+ minute ride I wish I had a higher seat.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk