News:

New Wiki available at http://wiki.gstwins.com -Check it out or contribute today!

Main Menu

1996 GS500 Basket Case Build into a GS600R

Started by cbrfxr67, April 12, 2011, 02:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shepa

Quote from: mattnes17 on May 29, 2012, 12:04:18 AM
Everything looks great but the front headlight set up. Just no my style. Amazing work tho man  :thumb:
+1  :thumb:

Nice work on hiding that hole between the frame and tank, I like those Mad Max style builds.
But the whole package is a bit spoiled by that front headlight for me.
Just my opinion.

Maybe Triumph-style double f/lights for a change?

And you definitely need a wider rear tyre.  :thumb:
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

cbrfxr67

Thanks Cods.  Tried to find some hot broad walking by the shop but sorry, got stuck with this homeless guy. 

I wasn't sure about the front either but I think I'll leave it that way.  Just different and make you think 'wtf is that?'

In the end came down to: GS500, Cbr F3 engine, F2 carbs, 900rr tank, dirtbike radiators, 600rr tail, gsxr fender, and homebrewed panels made from old battery charger panels, oh and can't forget snowmobile headlight!

I'll get a video up soon when I can get a camera.  Wanted to mention, thanks to Shep, Tomb, and Xune.
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

steezin_and_wheezin

LOVING it! keep that headlight for sure, makes it look mean

Great work mang, stoked on how it all came together! Only thing that gets me is the gs rear wheel in comparison to that beast RR tail. Still that's small stuff. The tail fits the bike, but the gs wheel leaves more to be desired..

That engine in the frame with the headlight, tank w/ louvers, and 600 tail looks f%$king awesome :bowdown:

Can't wait to see that video!!
if yer binders ain't squeakin, you ain't tweakin!

Funderb

dude. that looks...... awesome, i cant even put words to it. It is definitely a bike someone from GWAR would ride.

I dont see any fans on there, does the f3 motor stay pretty cool at idle? wondering if you'll run into any overheat problems when you're sitting still.
Black '98 gs500 k&n Lbox, akrapovic slip-on, kat600 shock, progressive sproings, superbike handlebars, 40/147.5/3.5washers

"I'd rather ride then spend all my time fiddling trying to make it run perfectly." -Bombsquad

"Never let the destination cast a shadow over your journey towards it- live life"

Guymo

+1 on the headlight. I like it, looks badass

also +1 on needing a bigger tyre hahaha. but i guess thats in the works

cbrfxr67

Thanks sincerely.  Yes will do the standard swingarm swap after I wear out the 'new' Avon on the back.  And fan is on the left side radiator.  Seems ok so far.  If I have issues during the Houston hell summer heat, will consider another set up.
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Shepa

Well... on this very day, one year ago... the project was over after 20 days of work (4-5 hours a day).

To simply sum it up: 7771 kilometres of pure pleasure so far.

Last month I took a two day trip to Montenegro (800 kms overall), and on the way back discovered a beautiful route through Bosnia: great asphalt, lots and lots, and lots of bends, and almost no traffic... only downside was the rain almost all the way.  >:(

Latest upgrades:

Got for free some (slightly used) racing tyres, dual compound Michelin Power One (front 110, rear 160), and after the warm-up, the grip is just unbelievable.
Purchased (but not yet installed) the new handlebar (cuz the old one's a bit bent).
Mounted softer rear brake pads (better braking, and less squeaking).
I've cut a piece of old rubber car floor carpet and made a mud guard for rear shock muck/dirt/allothershit protection (how the hell Suzuki haven't thought of that is a mistery to me).

Well... it's (hot) summer over here, and the bike's waiting in front of the house, so...

Oh yeah, here are a couple of freshly fresh pics, and while taking 'em, I've noticed a crack in my windshield  :sad:, must've been some fatass bug (R.I.P.), who knows.

cbrfxr67

:bowdown:  Thanks for the update Shep!  Rocking pictures too!  :thumb:
-buddha

steezin_and_wheezin

if yer binders ain't squeakin, you ain't tweakin!

Shepa

Quote from: steezin_and_wheezin on June 20, 2012, 10:29:56 AM
Did i miss the video?? I fiend for it :icon_lol:
Nope, never actually made any.
Have no camera, nor way of mounting cellphone.
Shrug.
If I ever make one, I'll post it here first.

Sent from my toilet seat using HTC FartPhone

iclrag

Funderb

dude, just grip the phone firmly in your teeth and go for a ride. :D

or just video it cranked up and running hot!

doooo iittt!

please.
Black '98 gs500 k&n Lbox, akrapovic slip-on, kat600 shock, progressive sproings, superbike handlebars, 40/147.5/3.5washers

"I'd rather ride then spend all my time fiddling trying to make it run perfectly." -Bombsquad

"Never let the destination cast a shadow over your journey towards it- live life"

trinacria

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on May 28, 2012, 03:07:24 PM
Worked on bringing it all together yesterday.  Opinions welcome.

Still have front blinkers and some odds and ends to put together but just about done.  Finally,...haha

The build is amazing but I gotta admit that the headlight is a bit on the rough side. Ofcourse if you like it go with it and I appreciate you trying to match it with the rest of the bike but it looks like its out of place. Still, I would nominate you for the gstwins hall of fame, probobly the most complex built ive seen

cbrfxr67

Thanks trin.  I learned a great deal working on this build.  I'd encourage anybody who likes riding and bikes, to pick up a project and dig in.  The gs is a great bike and not so complex that the average person can't easily use this forum and start figuring things out. 
:whisper: (i am actually making a teeny tiny change to this GS at the moment, pics soon)
-buddha

Shepa

8)

cbrfxr67

Can stare at that airbox for an hour Shep,....details, details.  I think I'm going to do like xune suggested using a car air box and flat filter on my new set up.  Was re-reading old posts and  realized xune was full of good ideas back then. 
Your bikes looking sweee-eeeet as always good sir.  :thumb:
-buddha

Phil B

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on July 21, 2012, 06:41:47 AM
Was re-reading old posts and  realized xune was full of good ideas back then. 

as opposed to now, you mean  :icon_razz:

Shepa

Although I tried to make things simple, the GS' airbox is just too small, and even with modified (widened intake port) K&N drop-in filter, the bike was running out of air at around 10k rpm (noticed in 2nd and 3rd gear).

So... took the whole thing out, mounted lunchbox, and now it seems ok.
Now it gets to 12-13k with no problem.
Took it for a spin, and just licked the 180 km/h mark at 12k in 3rd gear (and that was uphill).
Then I had to brake (hard) for the traffic light. :)

Only downside (if I can call it that way) is the intake growl that's almost as loud as the exhaust (at full throttle), so the bike sounds like an F1 car with a sore throat.

I definitely have to make a video of it.

knowles

I like it, but ya the rear tire and the headlight look different. but the stuff you over came is awesome. I tip my hat to you sir. Every thought of just putting like GSXR fairings on it to have a sleeper?
1989 GS 500EK

cbrfxr67

Hey knowles,...thanks and actually doing some small changes.  I'm keeping track of pics and details and will post it all when I get it sewed up. 

I think one thing it gave me was an appreciation for the original gs.  After doing it and figuring out how to make something work that was never intended for where it ended up, I look at my stock gs and smile.   :D
-buddha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk