News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Haynes manual Here

Main Menu

Drivetrain noise

Started by Darkstar, May 19, 2017, 08:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkstar

With low speed torque I hear a quick but intermittent grinding noise from below. It just started and happened twice today when slow rolling through an intersection, in 2nd gear when Im too lazy to downshift and the clutch is in. I let it out and heard the sound. Last week I put a new chain on and both sprockets look great, so originals are still there. Previous chain had stretched slightly out of spec with a few tight links. I discovered the links when I started hearing clicks sounds from the front sprocket. (A) Perhaps I rode on the stretched chain too long, with some tight spots, and it wore a bearing and/or shaft? (B) or clutch pressure plates? Everything else it good and its running strong. Any feedback would be appreciated.
2007F with 22k NY/NJ miles. Stock exhaust/airbox. Rejet to 20/60/132/one o-ring/1.25 turns out, +2 mojo

Watcher

The chain will always make noise, but if the chain has too much slack or isn't in alignment it will make MORE noise.
I'd double check your slack and alignment with a tool, not just with the sight gauges on the swingarm.

Can you get a picture of the sprockets for a second opinion?
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

Darkstar

Maybe you're right. I just aligned, tightened to spec this week. I've ridden my chain all over the place, too tight, too loose, off center so I know what those sound like, but maybe putting a new chain on old sprockets would do this. The teeth all look good. I'll loosen it a hair and see if it clears up.
2007F with 22k NY/NJ miles. Stock exhaust/airbox. Rejet to 20/60/132/one o-ring/1.25 turns out, +2 mojo

Watcher

Didn't you just switch to an oringless chain?  I wonder if they're naturally louder...

Of course it could be the sound of the engine lugging if you're basically in 2nd at first gear speeds.

Any way of getting a sound clip?

-Neil Peart

Darkstar

I really doubt it's the chain links themselves, it's not that kind of noise. and it's not lash or a lugging sound either. more of a grind with tone, like metal on metal. it's intermittent and only happened twice for a split second during  a 30 minute ride so a sound clip will be tough. my other thought is that that the summer heat has skyrocketed, it's 91F, and metal expands...so this could be something thats been around all winter and now more evident

Watcher

Still, compared with engine operating temp 91° is nothing...

-Neil Peart

Darkstar

yeah but the shaft and bearings are a bit isolated from engine heat, right?

tobyd

Had a similar sounding low-speed grinding noise when I had the chain alignment and tension wrong. Went away after I re-aligned it and tensioned the chain ( to about 20mm free-play ) on the side-stand rather than the centre-stand. I understand there has been some debate about the CS vs SS tension though so YMMV.

Darkstar

Quote from: Watcher on May 19, 2017, 09:09:51 AM
chain

Bingo. I had my tension set to 20-25 mm on center stand and checked about four spots. Problem was the section with the masterlink was slightly tighter, measured 15-20mm, too tight. This explain why it's intermittent. Thanks for the sanity check dude

user11235813

Quote from: tobyd on May 20, 2017, 08:27:55 AMI understand there has been some debate about the CS vs SS tension though so YMMV.

I don't think there's any debate about that, the manual says 20 — 30mm on the side stand and so the engineers win. However I think 20 doesn't give any room for error and slightly tight is worse than slightly loose as it puts strain on the bearings.

Having said that I check my chain on the centre stand for consistency but first I adjusted it correctly on the side stand and then put it on the centre stand and used that as the  aim point, which for me means that on the centre stand you should be able to push the chain up so that it almost touches the bottom of the chain guide.

I do the same with the oil, I check it after it's been sitting all night rather than warm it up for 3 mins and let it sit for 3 mins. Turns out that 4 mm above the F mark is about right using the cold method.

Bluesmudge

When the chain is loose, you not only get extra sound from you chain but also from the front sprocket, since it has a little bit of play. An old chain seems to make more noise than a new one because of the kinks/uneven wear that causes the tension to change through the rotation.

Hucubama

Hey!

Maybe something like this might cause a sound? I don't know, but this is my front sprocket play does this seem normal?

(Increase volume it has low sound..)
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/CKpf_5B_nG8

Armandorf

that is bad. no doubt, you could shim it from behind the clip or the sprocket till you have a new sprocket with a very thin shim washer, here are sold in a hardware bolt store  like "suplemments" they are 0.25mm so you can stack them.

you have play in the other axis? as it rotates and puts torque? that is way more critical/concerning IMO.

any chance you have a narrower sprocket?? i believe the stock one doesnt have the two tapped holes for bolts

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk