News:

New Wiki available at http://wiki.gstwins.com -Check it out or contribute today!

Main Menu

Good central-PA destination suggestions?

Started by vtlion, May 04, 2006, 07:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtlion

As much as I am jonesin' for a ride down to my alma mater in Blacksburg, its a long trip for me which would require a few days.  I'm trying to think of a few interesting day-rides out of State College.  Anybody got any good suggestions for sites to see?

So far I have come up with the following:

Centralia, PA - "modern-ruins" site of the underground coal fire started in 1962 (still burning today) - 2 hrs out

Flight 93 temporary memorial - self explanatory - 2 hrs out

any other suggestions?
2 C8H18 + 25 O2 = 16 CO2 + 18 H2O + :)
the bikeography is down for a bit
what IS a Hokie?

LPC2104

You could check out the PA Grand Canyon.  I'm pretty new to the area so I haven't been there yet but people say it's great. 

LPC2104

pdg108

Good question, I've been riding to State parks around here.  Usually make a good stop and strech spot, and good scenery.  Worlds End is nice, but not much there to do other than hike.  I'm sure you've been up to Hyner view outside of Renovo, too.  From what I hear the Corning glass mueseum in Corning, NY is pretty neat, although I have never been there.  And, if your into reptiles there is always Reptiland on Rt 15 between I-80 and Williamsport.  Its actually pretty neat, being a accredited zoo and all.

I'll be interested to hear any additions anyone else wants to make.  :thumb:
The GS500 is the safest bike on the planet, it can just barely kill you.
"I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I ever thought it could be."

vtlion

Quote from: LPC2104 on May 09, 2006, 05:47:21 AM
Did you decide on anything VTLion?

No, but if anybody wants to meet up for a ride I'm game.

I was thinking about possibly going exploring on Saturday, weather permitting.  Unfortunately, the 10-day forecast looks a little sloppy.  Its cool, we need the rain.

After this weekend, I'm gone for almost three weeks for my wedding.  Maybe June sometime?
what IS a Hokie?

bargovic

Theres a good loop up near south williamsport...

554 south to 44 west,
then 44 west to 654 north, which will bring you back into south williamsport.

Its about 30 miles, and 554 ascends and decends over a mnt, about 1000  feet up then back down.
Theres also a 6 mile section on 554 that has about 42 turns if i counted right.

LPC2104

Quote from: vtlion on May 09, 2006, 07:45:31 PM
I was thinking about possibly going exploring on Saturday, weather permitting.  Unfortunately, the 10-day forecast looks a little sloppy.  Its cool, we need the rain.

After this weekend, I'm gone for almost three weeks for my wedding.  Maybe June sometime?

Yeah, this weekend will suck.  I don't think I'd be able to go anyway.  I just started riding and pretty much ride from my house on university dr, past the beav, up toftrees then to work by the olive garden.  It's a simple route and good practice.  I did go out on 45 for about 60 miles and that was great too.  No traffic and beautiful scenery.

I might be up for a ride in June.   :thumb:  I'm taking the MSP june 2nd so I guess I'll be more qualified to ride longer rides then.  :dunno_white:

On a side note.  While lurking, I think I saw you were a homebrewer.  Me too!  I just made a pale ale a few weeks ago and kegged it this sunday.  While my wife and I were making it, my friend with the Ninja500 came kinda unexpectedly to go for a ride.  So I had to leave while my wife finished it.  She made a cool tap label that is somewhat fitting for the forum.  I'll see if I can get a picture and post it later.

vtlion

oooh.. yummy  :cheers:

Yeah, I brew, but this past semester I have been far too busy to make anything.  I plan on getting something rolling in June.  Maybe a nice fall brew.. belgian white or pumpkin-spice ale.  something like that.

We should get together for a scoot sometime soon.  I suffer from a severe lack of riding pals in state college.  As you can imagine, the squid-to-nonsquid ratio is pretty high here  :icon_rolleyes:
what IS a Hokie?

pdg108

Yep, I'm up for rides too.  Maybe I can make it down to State College with out bending my rims on a piece of concrete this time.  :) 

Bargovic, I ride those roads all the time, good stuff.  There are some really cool spots on on 477 north of 880, and a few cool spots on 44 North out of Jersey Shore too.  :thumb:

bargovic

Thats 44 out towards jersy shore right?  Ill have to check it out once my bikes fixed (GRRR ##^%*@&, cops).

Let me know if you guys are going for a ride, i wish i made it down to state college for that triumph demo day the other week.
I would of went and drooled all over the speed triple.

pdg108

yep, just take the 44 north exit off of 220 and you'll be heading right for it.

I almost rode down for the demo day, but decided against it since it was raining on and off.  If I was a little closer I would have went but a 75ish mile ride in the rain would have sucked.  I wanted to test as many as I could, rarely do you get the chance to ride that many differnet bikes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk