News:

Registration Issues: email manjul.bose at gmail for support - seems there is a issue that we're still trying to fix

Main Menu

My 2000 GS500 Fighter

Started by Shanehsmp, February 15, 2012, 02:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shanehsmp

Picked this bike up last November from a seller in Toronto, Canada. This is my first bike. I've always liked the look of naked bikes over faired bikes. Wanted to start small so that my insurance premiums would remain low...also, I don't think I'd want to learn on a bike with 600cc + type power.

The bike as I bought it:

The Goal is to have her looking similar to this...Saw this bike last week on this forum and it totally changed the direction of my build

My Plans:

Kinda in this order:
-Cut the subframe shorter; remove lower bracing and re-weld diagonal canti-lever beams.
-Scruff frame/prime/paint black
-Fit the front seat of a Hyosung gt250 onto the frame.
-Fit a bandit 400 hugger onto the swingarm (in the mail)
-Fit a 07 R6 rear shock (in the mail)
-Install GSXR Front end (done)
-Fit wider 160/60/17 tires onto a '03 GSX600 wheel fit it to the swingarm (have the wheel, need the tires)
-Find a chin spoiler somewhere...
-New Speedo.....no clue as of yet Acewell/Koso
-New light assembly(all around).....no clue as of yet
-Paint all plastics and Tank White...
-Find a gold MX Handlebar and bar-risers to match
-K&N Filter
-Clean and Re-Jet Carbs (no clue what-so-ever how to do this)
-Odds and Ends - pegs, longer front brake lines, grips,

The bike after I started wrenching on it:

Took out the engine and all wiring while the weather was still warm. Then brought it inside to start the winter modifications.

This is the bike indoors:

Picked this up on ebay for $350 US. 04/05 GSXR 600/750 Front End.

Came with everything I needed on the front end (except upper triple)...tire isn't good for the road. Will find a good touring tire.

Sent the triples out to a guy to get a spacer made and the GS stem pressed into the GSXR lower triple.

A few more pics (sorry for the crappy pics):

More pics to come...I've got limited funds at the moment, due to other more pressing obligations but I will update this thread as the project progresses.

Thanks

-Shane

cbrfxr67

"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

adidasguy

That blue tank and plastics are soooooo beautiful. It would be a crime against humanity to paint it.
On the other hand, there are so many ugly, homeless and orphaned tanks just begging for someone to paint them and give them some love and a good home.

seamax

I love streetfighter builds. I don't know if you can make a bobber out of the GS 'cause of the rake but keep posting pics.  :thumb:

xunedeinx

If I was still up in NH, I would be driving up there to trade you my dinged blue tank for that pristine one...

PLEASEEEEE don't murder it, sell/trade it for one that's already painted. Adidasguy has a stockpile of them!!!

Other than that, im anxiously waiting to see how it looks, if it pans out, I may copy.

Shanehsmp

Quote from: xunedeinx on February 16, 2012, 10:32:07 PM
If I was still up in NH, I would be driving up there to trade you my dinged blue tank for that pristine one...

PLEASEEEEE don't murder it, sell/trade it for one that's already painted. Adidasguy has a stockpile of them!!!

Other than that, im anxiously waiting to see how it looks, if it pans out, I may copy.

The tank has one small dent from the PO...I take it that it's hard to find these tanks?  It's in EXCELLENT condition on the inside (from what I can see)...and its ODD that you mention NH, I'm a UNH grad

Project is on a semi-hold, flying out to Orlando next week for work...after that, I plan to finally cut the frame and start modding the GSXR triple to use bar clamps.  Going to use Aluminum and neoprene assist with vibration and force distribution for the underside since it's weak cast

I just wanted to get a quick look at her with the wheels (kinda) on...

Shanehsmp

Made some progress over the last week....finally picked up some parts I had waiting for me in Niagara Falls...

So I got to cutting after I picked up some power tools this weekend....As you can see, the Hyosung 250 seat that I bought didn't quite wrap around the tank so I had to remove some material. Still not a good fit, but I will figure it out when I get there.

You can also notice the new rear shock from a Yamaha 07 R6

I might cut off the remaining metal from the lower subframe...I still don't know what I'll be doing with it yet...I'm thinking I want the lower subframe to "round" upwards, starting from the main frame and welded right below where the back of the new upper subframe is.

I'm pretty happy with the angle of the seat...I'm going to mock up a subframe out of 3/4" wood and see how it is before I get it to a welder.

More to come soon....

SS Adrenaline

Neat project.  I like the bike youre aiming towards.  IT should be nice.  Keep it up.
Cheers
2006 Suzuki GS500F
-Clocks For Bikes Temp/Time Gauges
-Jetting: 22.5,65,147.5 (3 Turns Out)
-Custom Underseat Storage
-Blue LED Gauges WLED-X5
-NGK Iridium DPR8EIX-9
-Jardine RT1 Full Exhaust
-K&N Lunchbox RU-2970
-K&N 62-1320 Vent Filter
-Custom SS Chain Guard
-Custom Rear Hugger
-Fiamm HK9 Horn

Shanehsmp

Thanks,  I'm 33% finished at this point....

progress this week:

partially mounted the handlebar risers. If you look closely in the pic, you will see a huge gap between the riser and triple. The riser was meant for a special triple and came with special bolts. I need to somehow find a M12 x 1.25 x 30 to 35mm hex socket bolt.

I also threw on the MX handlebar to get a feel of the layout...it's a little wide, might cut it down an inch or so.

Did a little work to the seat, I designed the upper part of the subframe using 3/4" wood strips, just need to have them welded now.

Also, just ordered a longer SS front brake line and my headlight....it's a MT-03 replica from Germany

http://www.ebay.de/itm/MT03-SCHEINWERFER-mit-universellen-CNC-HALTER-komplettes-Set-/280760056654?pt=Motorrad_Kraftradteile&hash=item415e9a7b4e&clk_rvr_id=324285040622#ht_3626wt_1140

brackets will be anodized black.

Next purchases will be a set of tires - 120/70 upfront and 150/60 in back....160/60 if they are a slimmer fit and a KOSO gauge.  Hope to have the subframe welded next weekend....

cbrfxr67

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=11114149
? (i used to have a good contact with Winzer corp, could prob look him up and pass you the # if you want)
Or if you have a bolt supply business in town, you might find them there.  Can't wait to see what you do with the welder and the subframe.

That seat looks gigantic.  Maybe it is just the angle. 

Good Work!  Need more updates!  Sorry, I never get enough of this stuff,...
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Shanehsmp

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on March 16, 2012, 08:22:22 AM
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=11114149
? (i used to have a good contact with Winzer corp, could prob look him up and pass you the # if you want)
Or if you have a bolt supply business in town, you might find them there.  Can't wait to see what you do with the welder and the subframe.

That seat looks gigantic.  Maybe it is just the angle. 

Good Work!  Need more updates!  Sorry, I never get enough of this stuff,...

Yea, I have a Fastenal around me..going there to go put in an order for the bolts. Thanks ... Oh and once I get start striping the frame/tank I'll really start documenting and taking better pics...

SS Adrenaline

Thats a sweet looking head light...  Is it DOT approved?
2006 Suzuki GS500F
-Clocks For Bikes Temp/Time Gauges
-Jetting: 22.5,65,147.5 (3 Turns Out)
-Custom Underseat Storage
-Blue LED Gauges WLED-X5
-NGK Iridium DPR8EIX-9
-Jardine RT1 Full Exhaust
-K&N Lunchbox RU-2970
-K&N 62-1320 Vent Filter
-Custom SS Chain Guard
-Custom Rear Hugger
-Fiamm HK9 Horn

Shanehsmp

Quote from: SS Adrenaline on March 16, 2012, 10:15:29 AM
Thats a sweet looking head light...  Is it DOT approved?

I was wondering about that as well - it's "E-Marked" which I believe makes it usable in Europe....doubt it is approved for use here in N. America....but, there are ways around that....I thought the DOT approval was for the bulbs anyway? :dunno_black:

steezin_and_wheezin

heyo, how'd i miss this build thread??

Good work so far! keep up the good photos!!
if yer binders ain't squeakin, you ain't tweakin!

cbrfxr67

-buddha

Shanehsmp

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on March 27, 2012, 10:34:16 AM
updates???  :cool:

Money is low for this build....sold some old parts, still waiting for my headlight to clear customs, hopefully will be here in a week,  sorted out the riser issue, just ordered a Moty Design batteryhttp://www.motydesign.com/product.php?batteries=8-cell-battery
And a Koso XR-SR gauge http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/new/shop/atv/xr-sr-speedometer-multi-functions-4/

Need tires....anybody have recommendations for daily commuting?  120/70 front & 150/70 or 160/60 rear

BeerIsSoAwesome

I'm really interested in this build. I have a 1992 GS500 that I want to do something similar with. I'm hoping it'll be street-legal but track-worthy.

I did a concept sketch in Photoshop.

Any recommendations? Advice?

xunedeinx

adidasguy

BeerIsSoAwesome

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk