News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Haynes manual Here

Main Menu

Hiya!

Started by Jem767, January 28, 2017, 07:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jem767

A big hi to all!

Fairly new rider here, trying to join the GS fam. I just got my license about 3-4 months ago and was already outgrowing my hand-me-down Rebel 250 even before winter. So, what better way to teach myself motorcycle maintenance than rebuilding one from the ground up?

"Inherited" an old '93? GS500e that's been sitting outside for about the last 10 years since somebody seized the engine. The engine is shot, most plastics are UV damaged, powder coat is damaged, about the only good things on this bike are that the frame is pristine, the tires were brand new (before it sat) and the electrical had just been redone.

Already procured a working, tested engine from a local motorcycle salvage place. Ripped all the plastics and bolt on pieces off, and am in the process of tearing down the frame to send it out to be re-powder coated. As of the moment it's a metal shell in my garage with some electrical wiring and tires.

While the frame is gone, I'm hoping to get all the secondary engine parts repaired/refurbished at my local repair shop and transferred to the new block. Plan is to have this bad boy resurrected and inspection ready by summer. I want to be cruising with the friends and family on a shiny "new" toy, showing that girls don't just have to ride on the back!

This forum has already been a wealth of knowledge so far in the process, and I'm excited to finally say "HI!".
Current: 09 Rebel 250 | In Progress: 93 GS500e

Big Rich

Welcome to the site Jem!

Congrats on the bike! A buddy of mine and myself are working on a 92 GS, and he outgrew a Honda 250 as well.... I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if your tires are 10 years old they really should be replaced. Rubber will harden with age, and becomes pretty slick (especially when wet).
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

ShowBizWolf

Hi Jem! Woot toot another chicky on the site :woohoo: Sometimes I remember how outnumbered I really am lol

+1 about the tires... it sucks I know. The front tire on my GS was 6 or 7 years old I think and still had plenty of tread left... but then one day I looked and there was a huge bubble in it. Certainly got my use out of it while I could but it could have ended a lot worse for me....

Hope you stick around the forum and share pics and what ya do to your GS!
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Jem767

Yeah I kinda figured about the tires. The previous owner is helping me fix it and was insisting they're still good. I don't trust something that sat that long but they'll at least allow it to be moved around as we're working on it.  I was just going to stay quiet until it was almost done and then have two new tires show up!

yamahonkawazuki

Welcome to ze nuthaus jem. this site  used to be rather immature when the ladies would join. guys would ask for pictures of them in their riding gear etc. hence they didnt stick around long. but weve improved i promise. if anyone gives you any flak let one of us know via pm if necessary Eh?, anyhoo if showbiz has made it this long, its proof we behave nowadays. anyhoo, please forgive me if this sounds even remotely sexist. ive much respect for a lady who knows how to turn a wrench, and isnt afraid to do so. that aside, regardless if the former owner insists that the tires a good, THEYRE NOT. please replace them. PLEASE. theyre well beyond their useful life. a bit of advice also, any questions on tires, get ahold of Gsjack, carbs/jets get ahold of buddha. im not discounting others skills here. but as long as ive been here, those two were and still are the go to people for those things. but feel free to post any questions you may have. we'd be glad to help.
Aaron
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

Suzi Q

New here as well...I'd love to see "before" pictures of this thing...sounds like a really sweet project you're working on. Best of luck!
Deals on Amsoil if you want it. PM me for details.

Jem767

Made a build thread: http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=71305

Thanks for the welcomes so far everybody. I'm excited to see where it goes from here.

Suzi Q

BTW general thought it to replace tires at 6 years regardless of mileage. If you look at the sidewall, you can see how old the tire is by looking for the date stamp on the sidewall.
Deals on Amsoil if you want it. PM me for details.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk