News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

Bonneville speed trials

Started by justbummin1, October 12, 2011, 11:04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yamahonkawazuki

Quote from: The Buddha on October 13, 2011, 05:47:13 PM
I dont think you can touch anythign past the exhaust and jetting for it to stay stock ... but you should read the rules carefully.

BTW I have heard the pipes being 2 into 2 help ... but worth the weight penalty ... no idea ...

Now, where are those GS'es that go 130 clicks that show up time to time on craigslist when you need em.

Cool.
Buddha.
using metric speedometers in canada
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

justbummin1

Hey Guys, thanks for the input and discussion. Well we are back home from Bonneville's Bub 2012 and the GS didnt do to bad. As stated last year our best run was a 106 plus against a 112.4 record. This year we put down a 113.07 but we got smoked in our class (500PP) by a EX500 Ninja. They bumped the record up to 124.95 now in our class :icon_eek:. We had another jet change and a rear sprocket change that we didnt get to make but even with that I dont think we would be able to break into the 120"s.

Up side is getting beat out there on the salt is better then never trying and just sitting at home on your ass wondering :thumb:

Thank again guys
Rob

burning1

Hitting your goal is a big thing, even if someone else comes along and raises the bar.

Agreed, you probably won't get 120 out of a stock GS500 on the salt.

Paulcet

Glad you had a good run.   Could you give us a list of changes you were able to make since last year? So, what kind of work did they do on that EX?

'97 GS500E Custom by dgyver: GSXR rear shock | SV gauges | Yoshi exh. | K & N Lunchbox | Kat forks | Custom rearsets | And More!

justbummin1

Hey guys,
Here is what we did for this year, new cams, valves etc milled the head and had the ports polished, gutted the muffler and increase the exit size (this one we knew would get a record bounced so we took along another completely stock pipe), reworked the the carbs and rejetted.

I am not sure what all they did to the EX as you know they would either be lieing or at a minimum not telling the whole story anyway

Rob

Higgins13

I hit 180 or 112mph yesterday...thats with a 46 rear sprocket too (less top end)
2005 GS500F
Jardine RT-One Exhaust
K&N RU-2970 "Lunchbox" Air Filter
46T Rear Sprocket
Dynojet Kit - Stage One
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
Flush Mount Turn Signals
Fender Eliminator
Underglow Kit
Blue LED Gauge
Blue LED Parking Light
Blue HID Kit
Carbon Fiber Tank Protector
1/4" White Rim Stripes

burning1

Higgins,

112 at ocean level on pavement is very different than 112 on the salt. :)

BockinBboy

I'm not sure how you clocked your speed, but you also have to consider the difference between whats read on the spedometer and actual speed.   Spedometer shows higher than actual.

- Bboy

Sonic Springs, R6 Shock, R6 Throttle Tube, Lowering Links, T-Rex Frame Sliders, SW-Motech Alu-Rack, SH46 Shad Topcase, Smoked Signals, Smoked LED Tailight, ZG Touring Windscreen

Higgins13

i go by spedo, if i changed gearing im sure I could go higher. I assumed the salts would be similar to pavement...perhaps not.
2005 GS500F
Jardine RT-One Exhaust
K&N RU-2970 "Lunchbox" Air Filter
46T Rear Sprocket
Dynojet Kit - Stage One
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
Flush Mount Turn Signals
Fender Eliminator
Underglow Kit
Blue LED Gauge
Blue LED Parking Light
Blue HID Kit
Carbon Fiber Tank Protector
1/4" White Rim Stripes

justbummin1

Sorry to burst your bubble but 2 things at those speeds the speedo is off way more than you think and the salt flats with it high elevation and slippage with traction really knock off top speed. The problem with changing grearing to much is you just dont have enough horse power to overcome the wind resistance. just because on the gearing chart it calculates to being able to run 130 I will guarantee you will never be able to pull it

Rob

crzydood17

If you can do anything you want internally balance and blue print the engine, crank the compression up to the very limit of hitting the valves and run it lean, if you don't care about more than what 2 runs the more heat you can make the better. All an engine is, is a nitrogen expander, the more you heat it the more it will expand, it will just normally melt the piston if done for to long.

Are coatings out of the equation? Coat everything if you can! heat containing in the cylinders and drag reducing for all the transmission and bottom end parts. Teflon coat the piston skirts. Also run super light weight oil. Reduce the valve spring tension as much as possible so lose less power.

If you can change out the wheels for lightweight ones. Cut off as much of the body as possible. Tape up every gap and hole with packing tape. put aluminum sprockets on (who cares how long they last). Knife edge the carb throttle plates and take out the choke. 3 angle valve job on the seats and put in Ti valves. Drill out and advance the ignition. Put bigger springs on the clutch and take out some of the plates. Machine first gear off the transmission and make the rest of the gears physically skinnier, who needs 1st anyway 2nd gear will start just fine with this much power.

That's basically all I have without throwing Ti rods in and knife edging the crank, throwing on a 4 valve head and doing some other craziness.

Oh and cut up the H pipe and clean it up maybe X it. the H pipe we have is horrible.
2004 GS500F (Sold)
2001 GS500 (being torn apart)
1992 GS500E (being rebuilt)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk