News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

Hyosung Compatibility?

Started by redhenracing2, November 04, 2009, 12:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redhenracing2

I had been pondering tail swaps for a while when I got a trade offer for a Hyosung 250. Looking at the picture, and recalling that Hyosung was/is owned by Suzuki or uses its parts or is in someway affiliated with it, I noticed a striking similarity between the frames. Does anyone know what, if any, parts are easily transferrable between the two? Particularly the tank, tail, frontend, etc . . .

Quote from: cozy on April 25, 2005, 11:03:14 AM
Try dropping down to 4 Oreos and set your pilot screw 3 turns out.

bombjack

Great find!  :thumb:
It's amazing how much the frame looks like the GS frame. I thought Suzuki and Hyosung only common development of the engine components.
That rear and seat would look awesome on a GS!!
English is not my first language. Please ignore grammar and spelling errors. Thanks!

Paulcet

It's been discussed.  A lot.  Search.

'97 GS500E Custom by dgyver: GSXR rear shock | SV gauges | Yoshi exh. | K & N Lunchbox | Kat forks | Custom rearsets | And More!

commuterdude

When I took my MSF they had these bikes although we were encouraged to ride our own.  i got a chance to look them over pretty well.   There are a lot of parts that look like they would make great update pieces for the GS.
Attack but have a back up plan

johnny ro

i backed off on their 250 because of the external oil lines on the motor. Otherwise I want one. I like the look of the sport version but the naked is probably a better bike. Add bikini and voila.

SmartDrug

Chinese crap.  Cosmetic parts do look like they might be worth salvaging.  I wouldn't want anything mechanical though.
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Aequitas - Veritas
KWS Superbike GSXR-1000
Honda S2000
Suzuki M109R

bombjack

Quote from: SmartDrug on November 04, 2009, 09:41:47 PM
Chinese crap.  Cosmetic parts do look like they might be worth salvaging.  I wouldn't want anything mechanical though.
It's made in Korea. Huge difference! I would never buy a Chinese car, but I might buy a Korean one if the price is right. I think the same goes for the bikes
English is not my first language. Please ignore grammar and spelling errors. Thanks!

drewbytes

Read any forums and there are plenty of threads about the hyosung engines blowing up etc - even on quite new bikes. From all the troubles others have had I certainly wouldn't want any of the mechanicals either.

bombjack

Found a pictiure where you can se a little bit of how the tail is mounted to the frame:

SmartDrug

Quote from: bombjack on November 05, 2009, 12:12:36 AM
Quote from: SmartDrug on November 04, 2009, 09:41:47 PM
It's made in Korea. Huge difference! I would never buy a Chinese car, but I might buy a Korean one if the price is right. I think the same goes for the bikes

You learn something new every day.  I would buy a Korean car too... not a bike though... yet.
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Aequitas - Veritas
KWS Superbike GSXR-1000
Honda S2000
Suzuki M109R

noiseguy

Interface is a bit different. Frame is a similar design; seems a nod to Suzuki design. I don't know the MC supply chain; do cycle OEMs make their own frames, or is this a supplied part?

1990 GS500E: .80 kg/mm springs, '02 Katana 600 rear shock, HEL front line, '02 CBR1000R rectifier, Buddha re-jet, ignition cover, fork brace: SOLD

platinum_black

Quote from: drewbytes on November 05, 2009, 01:09:50 AM
Read any forums and there are plenty of threads about the hyosung engines blowing up etc - even on quite new bikes. From all the troubles others have had I certainly wouldn't want any of the mechanicals either.

i dont understand that one because they built for suzuki so its the same tech.

now this is where i would like to put an end to any speculation as i have first hand experience with these bikes, i had one and from me getting one i ended up putting a few of my mates on them which they ended up buying aswell, and to be honest there is fast growing interest and amount of hyosungs in scotland.

This to me was the best bike iv had, it was an amazing piece of machinery now i know i dont have much experience but they were so effortless and just a complete joy to ride, i never had any problems till some twat in a 4x4 crashed into me and wrote it off, and to be honest id take another one hands down. also you can get k&n filters and scorpion exhausts for them etc so they have a big enough name that other brands will cater for them.

oh for purposes of this thread the seats are comfy as hell.

ACDNate

AHA!! Finally a thread I can contribute something usefull to!  :icon_mrgreen:

I read where someone mentioned a tail swap to a GT250/650 tail and searched out the results. I owned a GT250 for about a year and a half. Sort of stumbled into the deal. A friend of a friend of a friend could get the GT250 in the crate for $2000. I figure for that price, what the heck.

The frames are indeed very similar but have a few different dimension to accomodate the v-twin mount points vs the parallel twin motors. Super fun bike. I've ridden quite a few different bikes from old UJM's to modern super sports and this bike handled spectacularly, after a fork oil change and some added spacers to accomodate my weight. Effortless to ride and maintain. Lighter than the GS500 (at least it felt that way don't quote me on that).

As far as "hyosung engines blowing up", there were a handfull of 2005 models that dropped valves. There were many many theories on why they did ranging from the AIS system being to close to the valves to just bad valve machining. Truth is it was only about a dozen bikes in the US. Can't speak for the rest of the world. shaZam! happens though, what can you do?

Ah and an FYI on the GT650, they have been popping up all over the place brand new for around $3200. Hard to beat that price...
1995 GS500E
2001 GSF1200S

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk