News:

The simplest way to help GStwin is to use this Amazon link to shop

Main Menu

Sonic Springs

Started by froidy, November 27, 2017, 05:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froidy

Hi all,
Hoping Rich Desmond will see this. Tried sending an email to Sonic Springs a few days back and haven't heard anything. I reckon he's a busy guy so all good, just thought I'd try on here as well.
Looking to get a set of springs for my 2011 GS500F. I'm 187.5 lbs without gear and I ride between normal and aggressive street. Do you reckon 0.90kg/mm would do the trick? Also is the price on the website for each spring or per pair? I'm a bit confused as the picture shows 2 springs but I'm not sure if the price reflects that. Was also wondering if I should try 15W40 fork oil or just stick with the standard 10W40. Anyway, also have an R6 rear shock to go in after doing the springs so I'm pretty keen to see how she feels after these mods!

Big Rich

The price is for a pair of springs.

I'm not one for giving suspension advice, but I can tell you Rich Desmond will be getting back to you soon, I'm sure. I've gotten every set of springs I could for him - his service is top notch. Probably just busy with the holidays.....
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

RichDesmond

Quote from: froidy on November 27, 2017, 05:21:38 PM
Hi all,
Hoping Rich Desmond will see this. Tried sending an email to Sonic Springs a few days back and haven't heard anything. I reckon he's a busy guy so all good, just thought I'd try on here as well.
Looking to get a set of springs for my 2011 GS500F. I'm 187.5 lbs without gear and I ride between normal and aggressive street. Do you reckon 0.90kg/mm would do the trick? Also is the price on the website for each spring or per pair? I'm a bit confused as the picture shows 2 springs but I'm not sure if the price reflects that. Was also wondering if I should try 15W40 fork oil or just stick with the standard 10W40. Anyway, also have an R6 rear shock to go in after doing the springs so I'm pretty keen to see how she feels after these mods!

Are you Leigh? If so I sent you a reply yesterday morning. Let me know if you haven't gotten it.
Rich Desmond
www.sonicsprings.com

froidy

Hi Rich,
Yes mate, I'm Leigh haha
I didn't get it for some reason, I've checked my junk email as well :)
Ahh so it's $84.95 per pair (USD) plus shipping. That's more reasonable than I thought lol
Cheers guys!

froidy

Hi Rich,
I still didn't get the email? I sent you a PM with my email address just to confirm it is correct.
Regards Leigh

Bluesmudge

I'm a little heavier than you with 15w fork oil and .90 springs. I find the spring rate a little stiff when I'm not carrying a passenger.
I think you should consider .85 springs unless you are a very aggressive rider.

froidy

Cheers Bluesmudge,
Rich got back to me and suggested 0.80 springs but said there isn't much difference between those and the 0.85 and either one would suit fine so I'm thinking of going the 0.85 :)

pliskin

Good choice. I did .85 sonics's and 90wt oil on mine and I like it. Still a little soft  but I'm pushing 220lbs neekid. The .85 front paired with a R6 rear shock and it handles like its on rails.
Why are you looking here?

Bluesmudge

90wt oil? That sounds like you would have a dangerously high amount of rebound dampening.

RichDesmond

Quote from: Bluesmudge on November 30, 2017, 03:17:37 PM
I'm a little heavier than you with 15w fork oil and .90 springs. I find the spring rate a little stiff when I'm not carrying a passenger.
I think you should consider .85 springs unless you are a very aggressive rider.

When you cut the spacer, did you follow the Note A section of the instructions or did you make the total spring/spacer length the same as stock?
Rich Desmond
www.sonicsprings.com

Bluesmudge

Its hard for me to remember as it 7 or 8 years ago but as I recall the spacer I made ended up flush with the top of the fork. I know I followed the included instructions. 30 mm of preload comes to mind and sounds about right. Basically as much preload as the depth of the fork cap. Luckily I seem to only ever gain weight so the spring rate gets more and more correct as time goes by.

RichDesmond

Quote from: Bluesmudge on December 07, 2017, 11:01:09 AM
Its hard for me to remember as it 7 or 8 years ago but as I recall the spacer I made ended up flush with the top of the fork. I know I followed the included instructions. 30 mm of preload comes to mind and sounds about right. Basically as much preload as the depth of the fork cap. Luckily I seem to only ever gain weight so the spring rate gets more and more correct as time goes by.

Hmm, I thought the depth of the cap was about 15mm, which would mean that cutting the spacer like you did would give 15mm of preload, which is perfect. :) If it's actually 30mm deep, then trimming 15mm off the spacer will help.
Rich Desmond
www.sonicsprings.com

froidy

Hi Rich :) We must be having email issues again lol.
I'm having trouble getting the $45 freight added to my order on the website.
It shows up as being there but when it goes through to PayPal for payment, the amount is only $84.95USD instead of $129.95
Will put an order in for a pair of 0.80 once I can get that sorted :)
Cheers mate
Leigh

RichDesmond

Leigh,

It won't show up until the very end of the transaction. Just process all the through and it will be there.

Thanks,
Rich

Quote from: froidy on December 08, 2017, 07:27:40 PM
Hi Rich :) We must be having email issues again lol.
I'm having trouble getting the $45 freight added to my order on the website.
It shows up as being there but when it goes through to PayPal for payment, the amount is only $84.95USD instead of $129.95
Will put an order in for a pair of 0.80 once I can get that sorted :)
Cheers mate
Leigh
Rich Desmond
www.sonicsprings.com

froidy

I'll try again mate but it got all the way to my PayPal and still only said the amount would be $84.95USD which is for just the springs. Guess I'll have another go..

cbrfxr67

Got mine Mr Desmond!  Thanks and appreciate the instructions and tips included! ! !
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

RichDesmond

Awesome, always glad to hear from a happy customer! :)
Rich Desmond
www.sonicsprings.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk