News:

Registration Issues: email manjul.bose at gmail for support - seems there is a issue that we're still trying to fix

Main Menu

Problem finding 1st gear

Started by Joolstacho, February 13, 2018, 05:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joolstacho

Asking this for my buddy Rick (in Perth Oz) who sometimes has problems getting first gear from neutral when his bike is hot (not overly hot).
Typically he'll snick into neutral from 2nd as he comes to a stop at lights, but then it doesn't want to go down into 1st when the lights go green. He's using correct oil, level is good, lever is angled okay, clutch is adjusted and cable is good.
I've told him to try going all the way down into first when he comes to a stop, then up into neutral as he stops, see if that makes a difference, ie getting first from neutral having previously got neutral from 1st instead of 2nd.
Anyone else got any ideas? It's a low K's F model fairly recent, looks as new.
Beam me up Scottie....

gregjet

Letting just enough clutch out to put some torsion load on the gearbox shafts can help.
Exactly what is meant by "the right oil". If you mean the right type and viscosity then it can still be the wrong oil. Different brands can give different results from the same nominal viscosities. For example my SV650 engined Cagiva Raptor became a gearbox horror when I changed to correct weight Motul. Changed to something else ( can't remember what) and all the problems went away. It is uauslly the oils effect on the clutch, it just manifests itself at the gearbox.

qcbaker

Let out the clutch, blip the throttle in neutral, pull the clutch back in, then pop down into first. Or roll the bike forward or backward an inch or two.

Joolstacho

Yes, been through that stuff, - no diff.
(..."the right oil"? - viscosity as specified in the manual, -  a couple of different good quality motorcycle oils tried).
This is a low km motor, runs and sounds sweet as a nut.
Beam me up Scottie....

gregjet

The viscosity isn't sufficient. As mentioned , some motorcycles don't like some brands of oil ( and in fact my worse experience was with a Suzuki engine in a Cagive Raptor). That plus for motorcycles , "oils definitely ain't oils ".
However if you have tried more than one it points elsewhere. Motul is about as quality as it gets for motorcycles but that was the oil that was my problem one.
My next best guess is a dragging or sticking clutch plate set. Sometimes a clutch spring collapse ( happens). Or the throwout bearing ( very rare)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk