News:

Registration Issues: email manjul.bose at gmail for support - seems there is a issue that we're still trying to fix

Main Menu

trying to buy a gs500

Started by unclesalty, October 15, 2006, 06:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unclesalty

Unclesalty here, soon? to be a newbee.
Im looking at an 04 gs500f at a local dealer here in fl. 7000 miles and looks great. No evidence of ever having been down and looks like it was garage kept. The dealer claims that all the 7000 mi maint was done. It needs a new rear tire. heres the problem, when coming to a stop in either 1st or 2nd the bike will not shift into neutral, in fact it will only shift one gear either way and the tranny will lock up. I had to shut the bike off to get the tranny shifting again. Rocking the bike didnt help only getting the bike moving or shutting it off will get things working again. If your stuck in second its hard to get rolling without feeling like your killing the clutch . There were no service guys left at the time and the dealer would not put anything about fixing this problem in writing, just a verbal " dont worry we will stand behind you after the sale" bs. Should I be worried? There are no other bikes around here for sale and the price sounds fair $3150 otd.
Thanks

bobmelvin

In my humble opinion - for 3150 you can get a bike that has no problems whatsoever. It seems a little shaky if the dealer hasn't resolved the issue. I got my bike, with tax/title/and registration for 3200. A 2001 with 2000 miles. If they can't get it working, it seems like a lot of cash for such a risk.

scratch

RUN AWAY!  There is no 7000 mile service, that salesman is a liar.  And, I agree with Bob, that is too much money for a bike that has a problem, that I'll bet they have already tried to fix and the cost of them "trying" is added in there.  You are wise for asking for something in writing.  The salesman is trying to sell you a lemon.
The motorcycle is no longer the hobby, the skill has become the hobby.

Power does not compare to skill.  What good is power without the skill to use it?

QuoteOriginally posted by Wintermute on BayAreaRidersForum.com
good judgement trumps good skills every time.

GeeP

That doesn't sound right.  Might have too much clutch lever freeplay.

Whatever the case I think they want to much.

Keep looking.  You'll find a bike at a decent price with an honest seller eventually.   ;)
Every zero you add to the tolerance adds a zero to the price.

If the product "fails" will the product liability insurance pay for the "failure" until it turns 18?

Red '96
Black MK2 SV

Gisser

Quote from: unclesalty on October 15, 2006, 06:52:49 AM
when coming to a stop in either 1st or 2nd the bike will not shift into neutral, in fact it will only shift one gear either way and the tranny will lock up. I had to shut the bike off to get the tranny shifting again. Rocking the bike didnt help only getting the bike moving or shutting it off will get things working again.

Sounds like a typical break-in issue--new rider break-in--aggravated by a touch of common clutch drag. :icon_rolleyes:    Assume the tranny isn't actually locking up, just the usual sequential shifting at a stop characteristic.  Cable adjustment and/or more warm-up may take care of the rest.  Price...$3150 OTD for an '04 sure beats paying $5000 OTD on a new '06.  :thumb:         

yamahonkawazuki

if it wont go into gear, while running it at a stop, with it in gear, very SLOWLY let out on the clutch until one of two things happens, either 1 it goes into gear, or 2 it stalls, but like they say id check elsewhere first for other gs's  im sure there are a few for sale here on teh board :thumb:
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

Egaeus

Quote from: Gisser on October 15, 2006, 10:53:35 AM
Quote from: unclesalty on October 15, 2006, 06:52:49 AM
when coming to a stop in either 1st or 2nd the bike will not shift into neutral, in fact it will only shift one gear either way and the tranny will lock up. I had to shut the bike off to get the tranny shifting again. Rocking the bike didnt help only getting the bike moving or shutting it off will get things working again.

Sounds like a typical break-in issue--new rider break-in--aggravated by a touch of common clutch drag. :icon_rolleyes:    Assume the tranny isn't actually locking up, just the usual sequential shifting at a stop characteristic.  Cable adjustment and/or more warm-up may take care of the rest.  Price...$3150 OTD for an '04 sure beats paying $5000 OTD on a new '06.  :thumb:         

Even if there's nothing wrong (and there's probably not), this dealer sounds like a slimeball.  Steer clear.
Sorry, I won't answer motorcycle questions anymore.  I'm not f%$king friendly enough for this board.  Ask me at:
webchat.freequest.net
or
irc.freequest.net if you have an irc client
room: #gstwins
password: gs500

LMT

I would be very hesitant on this one.  Have someone go with you who is bike experienced and they would be able to help.  That's what I did with a riding neighbor.  Recently bought an 03 Suz. Katana 600 and do have an 05 GS500F going up for sale...still under warranty!  Problem is I live in OH.  Anyway he and I checked out 5 Katanas and the owners let each of us ride them and he was a great help to me.  He pointed out things I never would have known.  Good luck!
Have 2 bikes and 1 scooter (125cc).  Other bike is Kawasaki Ninja 250, as well as the Suzuki GS500.  Recently sold the Ninja.  Added the checkerboard decals to the GS.  They are reflective 3M decals.

Chilly Willy

94 GS500, Instrument LEDs and Speedo/Tach LEDs, Gel Seat, Kisan Headlight Modulator, Tail Light LEDs, Kat 6 rear shock, Plexi 3 Fairing, SW Motech Case Guards, SV Mirrors

metallic5spd

not sure where you live, but my 05 with only 5K in PERFECT condition is only 3600.

2004 Sunfire
2005 Suzuki GS500F
~ K&N LunchBox ~ DynoJet Stage 1 ~ 15T Front Sprocket

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk