News:

Registration Issues: email manjul.bose at gmail for support - seems there is a issue that we're still trying to fix

Main Menu

EBC Brakes for GS500Fs

Started by Alphamazing, May 04, 2006, 11:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alphamazing

No info in the archives, so I'll add it myself: The brakes for the 2004, 2005, and 2006 GS500Fs are the same as the 1996 and up GS500Es. The front and rear rotors as well as the rear pads will work from ANY year model of GS500 (1989 - 2006).

GS 500 FK4/FK5/FK6 04-06

Kevlar Organic Pads Front --- FA231                         
Sintered HH Pads Front --- FA231HH

Pro-Lite OE Replacement Rotor Front --- MD3006RS
Pro-Lite Contour Plus Rotor Front ---MD3006C

Kevlar Organic Pads Rear --- FA63
Sintered HH Pads Rear --- FA63HH

Pro-Lite OE Replacement Rotor Rear --- MD3002
Pro Lite Contour Plus Rotor Rear --- MD3002C
'05 DR-Z400SM (For Sale)
'04 GS500E (Sold)

Holy crap it's the Wiki!
http://wiki.gstwins.com/

mike_mike

will any of these stop the rear brake squeel??  :laugh:
2005 GS500F (blue)

Wrecent_Wryder

Thanks- I've copied the info.

What about the lines? Some insist that all of the GS have the same brake lines, Galfer and some others list different parts for different year rangeslists year ranges, and NOBODY seems to list braided stainless lines that they say are compatible with the '01-02.

The service schedule says to replace them every 4 years, and mines '02, so it's getting about time.. don't know if anyone actually does that, but I have zero interest in replacing them with stock rubber.

"On hiatus" in reaction to out-of-control moderators, thread censorship and member bans, 7/31/07.
Your cure is worse than the disease.
Remember, no one HAS to contribute here.

Alphamazing

Quote from: Wrecent_Wryder on May 05, 2006, 09:30:26 AM
Thanks- I've copied the info.

What about the lines? Some insist that all of the GS have the same brake lines, Galfer and some others list different parts for different year rangeslists year ranges, and NOBODY seems to list braided stainless lines that they say are compatible with the '01-02.

The service schedule says to replace them every 4 years, and mines '02, so it's getting about time.. don't know if anyone actually does that, but I have zero interest in replacing them with stock rubber.

I had 2 stainless lines from my old '92. I used the front line for a while on my '04, so I know that works, and I used the rear line after a while because the front one is too long. So both front and rear stainless lines will fork for the front.

Then my stainless one broke and I bought a front line for a '96-'00. While it's too long with my lower bars on there, it still works and bolts on easily.

Summary: ALL GS500s can use either front or rear stainless lines designated for any year model GS.
'05 DR-Z400SM (For Sale)
'04 GS500E (Sold)

Holy crap it's the Wiki!

Wrecent_Wryder

Quote from: AlphaFire X5 on May 05, 2006, 10:24:30 AM

I had 2 stainless lines from my old '92. I used the front line for a while on my '04, so I know that works, and I used the rear line after a while because the front one is too long. So both front and rear stainless lines will fork for the front.

Then my stainless one broke and I bought a front line for a '96-'00. While it's too long with my lower bars on there, it still works and bolts on easily.

Summary: ALL GS500s can use either front or rear stainless lines designated for any year model GS.

Thanks...

So... are you saying the one from the '92 was shorter than the one for the '96-'00?  I'm assuming that the reason for breakage is unrelated to the length/fit....

"On hiatus" in reaction to out-of-control moderators, thread censorship and member bans, 7/31/07.
Your cure is worse than the disease.
Remember, no one HAS to contribute here.

Alphamazing

Quote from: Wrecent_Wryder on May 07, 2006, 03:10:56 AM
So... are you saying the one from the '92 was shorter than the one for the '96-'00?  I'm assuming that the reason for breakage is unrelated to the length/fit....

No, the one from '92 was shorter because it was for the rear brake. The front one from the '92 was equally long to the one I just bought ('96-'00). And yes, breakage was unrelated to length and fit. The line snapped at the upper banjo bolt in a lowside.
'05 DR-Z400SM (For Sale)
'04 GS500E (Sold)

Holy crap it's the Wiki!

TragicImage

wanted to add on that today I discovered that the Right Rotor brake pads off of an SV650 are the same as the GS's....

I bought Galfer Pads

Part# FD179HH

Price was 27.50 + tax
Impeach Pandy

2006 GS500F

Hipocracy.... becoming more acceptable with the more power you think you have.

scratch

This is very good info!  Thank you Alpha and Tragic.  I will add this to the FAQ.  pm me to add info.
The motorcycle is no longer the hobby, the skill has become the hobby.

Power does not compare to skill.  What good is power without the skill to use it?

QuoteOriginally posted by Wintermute on BayAreaRidersForum.com
good judgement trumps good skills every time.

Kerry

Much of this info (and more!) is contained in my Sources For Brake Parts page.  It looks like I'm missing a couple of newer products, and I REALLY need to update the whole list of sources, part numbers and prices.  But, since all model years can use the same brake parts, it should still be useful info.  :dunno_white:
Yellow 1999 GS500E
Kerry's Suzuki GS500 Page

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk