News:

Registration Issues: email manjul.bose at gmail for support - seems there is a issue that we're still trying to fix

Main Menu

Just bought my first GS - planning a streetfighter build

Started by JJ2004, October 22, 2016, 06:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJ2004

Just purchase my first GS500. First bike in 20 years! Any suggestions? Thinking modern streetfighter build.

Endopotential

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=70953.0

2007 GS500F Cafe Fighter - cut off the tail, K&N lunchbox, short exhaust, 20/60/140 jets, R6 shock, all sorts of other random bits...

JJ2004

Sweet! I like the cafe seat and the triple clamp/clip ons. I was looking at similar LEDs for turn signals. How do you like them are they safe/bright enough?

ShowBizWolf

Hi JJ2004, welcome to the forum and congrats on the bike!!

There are loads of good ideas around here, plenty of pictures and tons of info. Glad you're here and good luck with your GS!

:cheers:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

JJ2004

Thanks man! Is there a trick to uploadin images, even 500k ones wouldn't work for me.

qcbaker

Quote from: JJ2004 on October 24, 2016, 05:09:47 AM
Thanks man! Is there a trick to uploadin images, even 500k ones wouldn't work for me.

You have to upload the image to an external hosting site (tinypic, imgur, photobucket, etc) then, link to it here. Write it out like this [img]your image link here[/img] to make the image appear in your post

Endopotential

Quote from: JJ2004 on October 23, 2016, 11:15:23 AM
Sweet! I like the cafe seat and the triple clamp/clip ons. I was looking at similar LEDs for turn signals. How do you like them are they safe/bright enough?

I'm sure they're nowhere big or bright enough...

Though even if they were as big as hot air balloons, I'm still not sure that would be big enough for bonehead drivers on their cell phones.

So I try to make a point of always giving myself enough of a space cushion wherever I'm riding, and assume no one is looking at my signals.
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=70953.0

2007 GS500F Cafe Fighter - cut off the tail, K&N lunchbox, short exhaust, 20/60/140 jets, R6 shock, all sorts of other random bits...

gregjet

There are now led turn blinkers that are much brighter than incandscents BUT you have to check them out properly. Any with the later Cree Xr-m or -l will brobably be more than bright enougn. I have only seen ONE bulb replacement led turn and stop/brake mob that makes a direct swap and gives BETTER light than the stock inc. bulbs but I can't remember the brand ( stop/brake is on my GS500F project).
Do not compare wattages. Current new LEDS use a tint fraction of the current to produce way more light.

If you find some good bright led blinkers they also have the advantage that they are visible bright LONGER than incandescents as they got to full brightness in milliseconds Inc. bulbs are only visible for 40% of the cycleas they have to heat up, leds are 50%, ie 25%longer, so they are safer IF they are as bright or brighter AND visible over a decent arc.

JJ2004

Thanks for the tip qcbaker. Here is what I'm starting with. Stock 2004 GS500 E in blue.

Planning to add LSL headlight, Dekelic slip on, bar end mirrors and adjustable levers over the winter. Have to get the headers soda blasted also. Looking rusty/rough.

The Buddha

Can I have these ugly blue body pieces before you make them all cool looking by painting them flat black.
Oh, was this a naked conversion from a full fairing bike ???? you're likely not in the US then.
Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

qcbaker

Quote from: JJ2004 on October 24, 2016, 04:19:34 PM
Thanks for the tip qcbaker. Here is what I'm starting with. Stock 2004 GS500 E in blue.

Planning to add LSL headlight, Dekelic slip on, bar end mirrors and adjustable levers over the winter. Have to get the headers soda blasted also. Looking rusty/rough.

I've heard that people have add difficulties preventing exhaust leaks when converting the stock headers to accept slip ons. Let us know how that goes, and what you do to mitigate that issue. I think the prevailing idea is high temp silicone or something like that? Could be wrong though.

mr72

Quote from: qcbaker on October 25, 2016, 06:10:17 AM
I've heard that people have add difficulties preventing exhaust leaks when converting the stock headers ... the prevailing idea is high temp silicone or something like that?

Permatex Ultra Copper works on cars. Probably will work on a GS.

JJ2004

Thank you for the tip. For $100 more I can get the full exhaust, but then I would need to re-jet the carbs. What do you think?

qcbaker

Quote from: JJ2004 on October 25, 2016, 01:05:22 PM
Thank you for the tip. For $100 more I can get the full exhaust, but then I would need to re-jet the carbs. What do you think?

Full exhaust + rejet is a better performance increase, so dollar for dollar is probably the better option if that's what you're going for. If you just want it for aesthetics and sound, slip on is probably better.

Mr. BIGGZ

I just rejetted and it was way easier than I thought it would be. Don't ask me how well the bike runs, I'm still working on that part.  :technical:

JJ2004

Fixing up the paint used a kit from TouchupDirect in Canada, looks good!

JJ2004

Worth the $60

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00HFD6GAS/ref=pe_386430_126088100_TE_item

Included primer, base, secondary and top coat and stuff like gloves, wax and sand paper. Some of the small dings are impossible to see. Bigger imperfections are much improved.

JJ2004

JJ2004

Decided to ditch the huge factory exhaust, planning to sandblast the headers and repaint them black.

JJ2004

The headlight is gone now too, final got the LSL in the mail.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk