News:

Registration Issues: email manjul.bose at gmail for support - seems there is a issue that we're still trying to fix

Main Menu

My bike wont crank.

Started by LSofCommission, March 07, 2017, 06:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LSofCommission

Had my bike stored for 6 months and when i went to start it yesterday the battery was dead. Got it to jump start after a while. So i went and bought a new battery today and it still wont start. I'm new to this forum and this is my first bike. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

qcbaker

So you were able to actually get it running after a jump start? For how long? Did it die on its own after starting or did you shut it off?

Also, maybe look into the things mentioned here: http://wiki.gstwins.com/index.php?n=Restoration.Starting

LSofCommission

It died on its own. Maybe a good 5 minutes.

the_63

Is there fuel in the tank? Did you prime the line? Did you leave the old fuel in the tank?

Chris
O0
'99 GS500ex (sookie)

LSofCommission

the fuel was drained. i put new fuel in before trying to start it. also had new spark plugs put on.

mr72

Did you try it on PRI?

Sounds to me like the vacuum petcock (on RUN) is not working, maybe the vac. line is disconnected or kinked, smashed, cracked, etc.

5 min is about how long it'll run on the fuel in the float bowls.

LSofCommission

LSofCommission

Quote from: mr72 on March 07, 2017, 07:33:39 AM
Did you try it on PRI?

Sounds to me like the vacuum petcock (on RUN) is not working, maybe the vac. line is disconnected or kinked, smashed, cracked, etc.

5 min is about how long it'll run on the fuel in the float bowls.

I put in in PRI and still no start. Do you know where the vac line is located.? I could check that. Im open to all suggestions.

mr72

the vacuum line runs from the left carb vacuum port to the petcock.

but if the bike won't start in prime then this is not the problem.

LSofCommission

Quote from: mr72 on March 07, 2017, 09:46:58 AM
the vacuum line runs from the left carb vacuum port to the petcock.

but if the bike won't start in prime then this is not the problem.

Do you have any suggestions?

rscottlow

I'd first check to see if you're getting a spark...
Scott - Cincinnati, Ohio
2009 GS500F

LSofCommission

Quote from: rscottlow on March 07, 2017, 09:50:13 AM
I'd first check to see if you're getting a spark...

this is new to me. how do i check for a spark?

qcbaker

Quote from: LSofCommission on March 07, 2017, 09:48:08 AM
Do you have any suggestions?

You will want to make sure none of your fuel lines are clogged, for starters. Make sure fuel is getting from the tank to the frame petcock, and from the frame petcock to the carbs (carb bowls fill up when petcock is in PRI position, carb bowls fill gradually only when engine is cranked with petcock in ON or RES). After you have ensured that fuel is getting from the tank to the carbs, you need to make sure fuel is getting from the carbs to the cylinders. Make sure your jets aren't clogged and that the carb slides are functioning properly. There are a few threads on here that you can find that will provide you with information on cleaning the carbs. If the bike has been sitting a while, I would imagine there could be some residue in the carbs so cleaning them would be a good thing to do regardless of what your problem actually is.

After you've verified you're getting fuel to the cylinders, if the bike is still not starting, ensure the spark plugs are functioning. I doubt you will have to check the spark plugs, since you said you had it running before.

My bet is clogged fuel line somewhere preventing fuel from getting to the carbs.

Quote from: LSofCommission on March 07, 2017, 09:51:26 AM
this is new to me. how do i check for a spark?

Remove the spark plug, then re-connect the wire and ground the plug somewhere and crank the engine. You should be able to see the spark. Do make sure that there is no residual fuel on the plugs or near where you are doing this. You don't want to cause a fire.

qcbaker

Also, just so we're all clear on the state of the bike currently, when you push the starter button, the bike tries to start but does not run under its own power, correct?

And I am assuming you have ensured all of the following:

The bike is in neutral (if the bike is in gear with the kickstand down, the starter motor will not crank when you push the starter button)
The clutch is pulled in (There is a safety switch that prevents the bike from starting unless the clutch is pulled in)
The killswitch is not engaged (Should be obvious why the bike wont start with this on)
The choke is fully engaged (bike most likely will not start cold without the choke on)
The new battery you installed is properly connected and charged fully

LSofCommission

Quote from: qcbaker on March 07, 2017, 10:18:46 AM
Also, just so we're all clear on the state of the bike currently, when you push the starter button, the bike tries to start but does not run under its own power, correct?

And I am assuming you have ensured all of the following:

The bike is in neutral (if the bike is in gear with the kickstand down, the starter motor will not crank when you push the starter button)
The clutch is pulled in (There is a safety switch that prevents the bike from starting unless the clutch is pulled in)
The killswitch is not engaged (Should be obvious why the bike wont start with this on)
The choke is fully engaged (bike most likely will not start cold without the choke on)
The new battery you installed is properly connected and charged fully

Correct

rscottlow

I'd just start with the spark plugs because it's much easier to eliminate that as a potential problem before you go pulling out the carbs. Not that you won't need to clean your carbs eventually anyway, but if you're not getting a spark, it's not going to matter if you're getting fuel. QC is right though, the problem is probably fuel-related.
Scott - Cincinnati, Ohio
2009 GS500F

LSofCommission

Thanks for all the advice. I will be sure to update as within the next 2 days.

cloud2692

Not sure if this issues was ever resolved but it sounds that it is a fuel issue, Try unscrewing the drain screw on the bottom of each of the carbs (Use a container to collect the fuel for later examination) let them flow for 30 seconds or so in order to flush the fuel lines and carbs making sure fresh fuel is in the bowl. Also make sure there is nothing blocking up the air filter if its been sitting for awhile.
If all else fails you will need to pull the carbs and get cleaning.

All this is assuming of course that you have eliminated spark as an issue at this point.

Regards,
Mitch

Jim Moore

Quote from: LSofCommission on March 07, 2017, 07:29:58 AM
the fuel was drained. i put new fuel in before trying to start it. also had new spark plugs put on.
Drained from the tank? Drained from the carbs?

Zombified_Cheeseburgers

What do you mean by "won't crank"?

Is the starter motor spinning the engine over, or is nothing happening when you press the starter button?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk