Although I completely disagree with you about the rear shell width, and the bike looking too narrow ( I like the narrower the better), I can see the attraction on the contemporary lust for "cafe Racer", "scrambler" and "cruiser" style statements.
The GS500 has a very old rear chassis design. It is dead easy to make a narrow usable seat for it. Plenty of attachment points and easy to make stable. Plenty of good and not so good attempts in the modding and projects thread home here.
You misread my post. I said I find the '05+ tail fairings to be too wide
. My bike is an '07. I'd like to install the narrower fairings from the older model years (like maybe a '95 or something?) but I'm not sure if they'd fit. Also to people not aware, I'm in Canada where the naked GS was available past '02.
Anyways I've decided that rather than spending $300+ on decent security for the bike, it'd make more sense to spend the same money over a few months to put it in a secure storage unit. That way it's safer than any lock will make it, and I'll actually have a place where I can work on it and take it apart. Might be kinda fun to just strip the thing down to the bare bones and see how many horses I can squeeze out of it with things like ported heads, ignition advance, jetting, etc.
Before I can do any of that though I'll take it to a motorcycle shop to have someone remove the corroded header bolts and replace them with stainless. I also need to get off my lazy butt and start taking some photos so I have things to show y'all.
Current list of things I'd like to do to her (ooo saucy)
1. Oil and filters.
2. New bearings.
3. New brake pads.
4. Clean, paint, and rebuild brake calipers.
5. Stainless steel brake lines.
6. DID X-ring chain. Gold anodized for extra bling.
7. Katana wheel and GSXR torque arm mod?
8. Valve cover gasket replacement (current one leaks).
9. Find a tank that doesn't have dents in it.
10. New locks.
11. Older model year tail fairings for that really swag retro look.
12. Paint it some kind of groovy colour. I like the silver frames of the older bikes. Maybe red tank and tail?
13. Clean and rejet the carbs.
14. K&N lunchbox.
15. Stainless headers or paint the old ones.
16. DEFINITELY get rid of that stupid fender.
17. Shorten signal stalks.
18. R6 rear shock.
19. Fork spacer mod.
20. New handlebars.
And probably a few other things that I'm forgetting. Maybe get someone to make me a sticker that says "the last guy who stole this bike got jail time". Is a fork brace worth it?