News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Haynes manual Here

Main Menu

Preload adjusters??

Started by xunedeinx, February 19, 2012, 05:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xunedeinx

BaltimoreGS

Unless you've done a front end swap there isn't any preload (or any other adjustments) on a GS fork.

-Jessie

xunedeinx

From what I thought, which I could be wrong, they screw in to the forks in place of the plugs. It would make a non-adjustable front end adjustable?

Shepa

Quote from: xunedeinx on February 19, 2012, 10:27:40 PM
From what I thought, which I could be wrong, they screw in to the forks in place of the plugs. It would make a non-adjustable front end adjustable?
As I see it, those are just preload adjusting cap screws.
Without preload shaft (rod) and pusher inside fork tubes, they're useless.

My 2 cents sent from my toilet seat using HTC FartPhone
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

BaltimoreGS

Looks to me like they fit over the preload adjusting nuts on sport bikes so you can turn them by hand and not use a wrench.

-Jessie

burning1

Yeah, these are probably useless on the GS, since our bikes don't come from the factory with preload adjusters. Even then, to be honest, you don't have to change preload often enough to make tool-less adjustment necessary.

You can add preload adjusters to the GS - I believe that there is at least one company that sells replacement caps with preload adjustment that fit the GS500. Again, not really necessary since you can pop the caps with the forks on the bike to add preload washers - just loosen the upper tripple clamp pinch bolts first.

fraze11

This isn't *exactly* related to the front suspension...but I've been watching Dave Moss videos for about 2 weeks now and reading suspension information regulalry.  I had NO idea how critical this stuff really was.  I was always under the impression there was a "standard" setting, but even for street riding as Dave has said in his videos that there are critical differences to how a bike will handle based on rider weight and settings.  I just didn't realize it was THAT serious, and started getting a little freaked out since changing the rear shock, I was affraid by doing so I had made the bike unstable.  I have progressives up front so short of changing fork oil weight I'm limited there as far as adjustment goes.  With my R6 in the rear I've spent several days trying to get it right as well as setting my sag.  What seems to be feeling good for me at the moment is;

I have 27mm of sag (Dave recommends 28-35 as a starting point for street use) and my shock is set accordingly;

Low speed comp = 15 clicks
High speed comp = 2.5 turns out
Pre-load = setting 5 on the ramp
Rebound = 17 clicks

I'm 5'9 175lbs and the above seems to be ok.  I get an "even" rebound when I push the bike down from the seat and the bars so it seems to be level.  Interesting stuff...
2009 GS500F, 2003 CBR F4i

Funderb

I was under the impression that preload on the stock springs is not worth it?

Hookes law says F=-kx, so preloading them will just make the spring compressed, not stiffer.

Anyone want to edify me on the benefit of stock spring preload? I'm confoosed.
Black '98 gs500 k&n Lbox, akrapovic slip-on, kat600 shock, progressive sproings, superbike handlebars, 40/147.5/3.5washers

"I'd rather ride then spend all my time fiddling trying to make it run perfectly." -Bombsquad

"Never let the destination cast a shadow over your journey towards it- live life"

Shepa

Quote from: Funderb on February 21, 2012, 07:20:45 AM...
Anyone want to edify me on the benefit of stock spring preload? I'm confoosed.
It may sound confusing, but it actually works.  :thumb:

In my case: Stock springs + 35 mms longer spacers + 15W fork oil = no more bottoming out, more stable in corners, more stable on braking, more stable while accelerating hard.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Funderb

Thanks, shepa, i'll go manufacture some spacers and give it a try!
I'm a pretty light person, ~150, but the gs has a tendency to:

"oooh a tiny pebble: BAM! bottom out the shocks.."

Black '98 gs500 k&n Lbox, akrapovic slip-on, kat600 shock, progressive sproings, superbike handlebars, 40/147.5/3.5washers

"I'd rather ride then spend all my time fiddling trying to make it run perfectly." -Bombsquad

"Never let the destination cast a shadow over your journey towards it- live life"

burning1

It's best to replace the stock springs, and change the oil while you're in there. New springs make a night and day difference on the GS500, and are an important safety improvement since having the wrong springs compromises braking and cornering traction. But if you're stuck with the stock springs, adding some preload to get your sag measurements correct is definitely a good idea. Replacing the oil, especially with something thicker can help.

But seriously, don't cheap out here - even if you bought your bike for $500. New springs and a shock won't cost you more than $200 if you do the work yourself, and will completely change the nature of your GS.

steezin_and_wheezin

Quote from: fraze11 on February 20, 2012, 12:47:10 PM
I have 27mm of sag (Dave recommends 28-35 as a starting point for street use) and my shock is set accordingly;

Low speed comp = 15 clicks
High speed comp = 2.5 turns out
Pre-load = setting 5 on the ramp
Rebound = 17 clicks

I'm 5'9 175lbs and the above seems to be ok.  I get an "even" rebound when I push the bike down from the seat and the bars so it seems to be level.  Interesting stuff...

great bit of info Fraze!!! i'll definitely be glad you posted this after i get this shock on and start tuning. thanks mang!
if yer binders ain't squeakin, you ain't tweakin!

fraze11

np. Assuming your the same size as me thats likely a good starting point.  Of all the varriations I've tried that one feels the "rightest" to FOR me so far.  I plan to see a suspension expert this spring and have him check it/adjust it.  So I'll share what info I get from him then.

All the same, I would go for a ride and record the settings of your shock the way they are currently before you start adjusting, just in case :)
2009 GS500F, 2003 CBR F4i

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk