News:

The simplest way to help GStwin is to use this Amazon link to shop

Main Menu

got a question regarding wristwatches

Started by yamahonkawazuki, June 28, 2011, 06:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bettingpython

Well I decided I would try a swiss legend. . . think I am going to send it back.
I guess I shouldn't be dissapointed though it is big gold and blingy.
Why didn't you just go the whole way and buy me a f@#king Kawasaki you bastards.

yamahonkawazuki

HATE tehm bastards. had 3 in shop today. a royal pain in the ass to remove links. had to do 2 on each. 6 total. too big for me lol. this is my second 1963 caravelle 17 jewel

i remembered i had a nice speidel stretchy band. sold the first one on ebay for 20.50. awaiting payment lol. may sell this one too. fits me perfectly. albeit a tad smallish. a standard rolex submariner. i believe its 36-38mm fits me just right. thats another day. i will get a decent tag to replace moms though. or something of its calibre  :cry:

check this shaZam! out. i sold that swatch irony chronograph for 42.00 a MONTH ago. the guy writes me back yesterday. claiming its running slow. i wore it for several days to test it. checked fine. why he wait a month?, i ask what would make him hap[py? i offered to send him a new battery out of my stock for it. he wanted $20. i may end up dealing with a paypal dispute. i DID say watch running fine. BUT also did say sold as is. TWICE.
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

yamahonkawazuki

that swiss legend. not a BAD watch lol. but yeah big and a bit heavy. is a tad smaller than the fake breitling i was wearing as a size comparo

".
A proud Mormon

bettingpython

That swiss legend is growing on me. It is big that was one of my criteria. That's not the issue, and the gold was the other criteria. It just has a less than refined look to it. I just kinda got used to the precision refined feel of my TAG
Why didn't you just go the whole way and buy me a f@#king Kawasaki you bastards.

bill14224

I mostly agree with SPC, but I am the middle class and I am where the money is.  When people like me don't want/need something it will sell SLOW.  Sure, rich people will buy Rolexes, but those days are coming to an end.  Anybody paying attention to financial news?  We are heading fast to the depression that was supposed to come three years ago.  Because our gov't ran up more debt in the last two years than all previous administrations combined to cover-up the real estate and banking debacles, I would not be looking for a healthy market for upscale/obsolete products.  We still have the same financial problems as before with an additional mountain of debt to boot.  The prognosis is not good.  Also notice that young people don't wear watches. (not where I live, at least)  Where I live watches are an old guy thing only at this point.  That is why I advised my friend to dump whatever he has as fast as he can.  Knowing what I know, I'd rather shoot myself in the head than get into the watch business expecting to make money.  Of course, that would exclude watches with high gold content that are increasing in value solely due to their gold content.  If you want to get into a precious metals discussion, I'm all ears.  On that subject I'm very bullish!  I say buy gold, silver, platinum, and forget watches unless they're solid gold!
V&H pipes, K&N drop-in, seat by KnoPlace.com, 17/39 sprockets, matching grips, fenderectomy, short signals, new mirrors - 10 scariest words: "I'm here from the government and I'm here to help!"

yamahonkawazuki

Quote from: bill14224 on July 16, 2011, 04:38:40 PM
I mostly agree with SPC, but I am the middle class and I am where the money is.  When people like me don't want/need something it will sell SLOW.  Sure, rich people will buy Rolexes, but those days are coming to an end.  Anybody paying attention to financial news?  We are heading fast to the depression that was supposed to come three years ago.  Because our gov't ran up more debt in the last two years than all previous administrations combined to cover-up the real estate and banking debacles, I would not be looking for a healthy market for upscale/obsolete products.  We still have the same financial problems as before with an additional mountain of debt to boot.  The prognosis is not good.  Also notice that young people don't wear watches. (not where I live, at least)  Where I live watches are an old guy thing only at this point.  That is why I advised my friend to dump whatever he has as fast as he can.  Knowing what I know, I'd rather shoot myself in the head than get into the watch business expecting to make money.  Of course, that would exclude watches with high gold content that are increasing in value solely due to their gold content.  If you want to get into a precious metals discussion, I'm all ears.  On that subject I'm very bullish!  I say buy gold, silver, platinum, and forget watches unless they're solid gold!
i hear you. 100%. have a pound of silver scrap, and maybe 15 grams of gold scrap. between myself and shop owner. i will pick up a watch. get it going, and then sell it. i dont go in wiht my food money. that would be foolish. however. i go in. make a slight profit. then use that to get hte next one. yes will also agree alot of the middle class doesnt wear them. i still need to however. because i also repai r them. a watch man not wearing one. is like a car salesman that doesnt drive.  or a whiskey slaesman thats never ever tried the stuff. i wont make ti to the upper tier with this. until i get my rolex and breitling certifications, if health holds out.  but it s something to keep me from going stir crazy lol
".
A proud Mormon

bill14224

Ok, Yama, you're on your way by collecting scrap precious metals, that's cool!  As long as you're aware of things and you're making money, it's all good! :cheers:
V&H pipes, K&N drop-in, seat by KnoPlace.com, 17/39 sprockets, matching grips, fenderectomy, short signals, new mirrors - 10 scariest words: "I'm here from the government and I'm here to help!"

yamahonkawazuki

Quote from: bill14224 on July 27, 2011, 03:18:41 PM
Ok, Yama, you're on your way by collecting scrap precious metals, that's cool!  As long as you're aware of things and you're making money, it's all good! :cheers:
separating the gold parts now. 10k with 10k 14 with 14 etc. the dust however is a Buddha Loves You. have 4 polishing wheels loaded up with gold silver and platinum dust. outfits out there will buy those. for that dust. got most of my scrap when i did ring sizing. most ppl would allow me to keep the parts removed. which in turn id use to repair the next job. still would charge for materials. but would use my scrap. profit there. and commonplace in the trade. have the torch and ingots i could melt it down myself. but sometimes that can decrease final value. told a buddy of mine about this scrap. he knows gold prices. BUT hes although a great friend. , hes a bit of an idiot.gold IS 1400+ an oz. but even if i had a pound of gold scrap its not bringing 1400+ an oz. BECAUSE i told him its not PURE gold. 10k is pure ogld wiht alloy. same as 14 etc. 24k is pure. i believe its also can be stamped .999? but i keep it at the shop in a bank vault. a year back sent in a 5 gallon bucket with nothign but silver scrap in it. OMG. lol. i held onto enough to cast some of it into round rings. aka  a large ring chain. anyhoo back to watches. have the second m3 caravelle on ebay now. and a benrus 10k rgp white gold ladies watch i overhauled and got running. as well as a ladies seiko. ive got a dozen of those lol. and they dont bring much. but are useless to me. im keeping 2 of them. one which i can sell with a band. if a customer brings one in dead on arrival. the other has the ends cut off. idiot redneck band removal. ( customer) with my swollen eyelids. i can still do this. fairly easily. but either have to use my jewelers hood with lenses. or my monocular ( eyepiece)have a 14k clinton mans watch i bought on ebay. sans stem. is my next project. i got it running by bumpstarting the springwheel.  wound it by using the gear hell im in that one for maybe 6 dollars lol.
".
A proud Mormon

pantablo

There will always be a small market for collectible items from times before technology made things easier. Some people will want them, whatever it is, for their superior product (such as the unmistakable sound of an LP). Some will want such items as a way to stay connected to the past and not let themselves get caught up in technology.

Watches are also one of the few items of jewelry men can wear without looking like a total chicken.

I know I can always tell the time on my cell, but I still wear a watch.

I also like vintage...
Girard Perregaux

Longines

This one needs to be refreshed again.
Pablo-
http://pantablo500.tripod.com/
www.pma-architect.com

Quote from: makenzie71 on August 21, 2006, 09:47:40 PM...not like normal sex, either...like sex with chicks.

The Buddha

Pablo - an LP does not sound unmistakeable ... it sounds better ...

Its not really true for new stuff, essentially stuff that was mastered on digital medium ... but anything put on vinyl first, no question ... the only real question actually is, how much of the music is lost along wiht how much of the noise when it is put onto CD. Example - beatles recordings, on CD they are very close to the original for music content, and combine that with the fact there is almost no hiss on the cd's make them a winner.
Sharp contrast to boston (one of the side by side comparisons I have done) Boston cd's sound flat and lifeless, the lps sound so nice ... Maybe the masters were not well kept before they put em on cd ... but really big difference.
Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

bettingpython

The wife surprised me at Christmas with a nice Tissot chronograph.

yamahonkawazuki

Quote from: bettingpython on January 26, 2012, 01:25:12 PM
The wife surprised me at Christmas with a nice Tissot chronograph.
:bowdown: post pics O0
".
A proud Mormon

bettingpython

yamahonkawazuki

quartz or auto> many tissots are quartz. but still Über. found one in a local jewelry shop. was an automatic ( late 70's i believe) a gorgeous watch
".
A proud Mormon

bettingpython

Quote from: yamahonkawazuki on February 23, 2012, 04:00:22 AM
quartz or auto> many tissots are quartz. but still Über. found one in a local jewelry shop. was an automatic ( late 70's i believe) a gorgeous watch

Oh it's quartz, It's not that expensive a watch but it's the right size, has a chrono and it's gold plated, so it has just enough bling with out being Gaudy, I like it as much as my TAG professional. That stupid swiss legend stops at 55 seconds on the sweep second hand when you stop and reset the chrono now. POS not even worth paying the shipping and fussing with the warranty on it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk