News:

New Wiki available at http://wiki.gstwins.com -Check it out or contribute today!

Main Menu

92 GS500E let the project begin.

Started by The fink, February 21, 2015, 01:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The fink

Quote from: syntax_error on February 24, 2015, 04:42:58 PM
Damn. That is clean. Looking great so far. If I'm not mistaken, I believe I have the same ladder rack on my truck. I see the rack posts that go into the box pockets are blown up like a balloon just like mine. I was wondering if that was that way factory or is it what I think it is, water freezing to ice inside the post causing expansion.
Thanks brother, I appreciate it. As for the ladder rack, it actually just rests on the bed, and I bolted it on.
Be who YOU are, and say what YOU feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
-Dr. Seuss

GS500Schultz

Quote from: The fink on February 24, 2015, 06:25:35 PM
Quote from: GS500Schultz on February 24, 2015, 11:04:44 AM
I love powder coating, and i'm not just saying that because i run my own powder shop.

it's because it's f-ING AWESOME!!!
it really is f-ing awesome, so seeing as you do this for a living, would you concur that $218 is a good deal?

$218 is a pretty good price if it included the swing arm and other bits.
that's about what I charge, but seeing as i'm in chicago powder coating costs a bit more since EPA and the fire department hit you with HUGE taxes to run the place..
You don't own a project bike..
The Project bike owns you!

The fink

Quote from: GS500Schultz on February 24, 2015, 06:52:40 PM
Quote from: The fink on February 24, 2015, 06:25:35 PM
Quote from: GS500Schultz on February 24, 2015, 11:04:44 AM
I love powder coating, and i'm not just saying that because i run my own powder shop.

it's because it's f-ING AWESOME!!!
it really is f-ing awesome, so seeing as you do this for a living, would you concur that $218 is a good deal?

$218 is a pretty good price if it included the swing arm and other bits.
that's about what I charge, but seeing as i'm in chicago powder coating costs a bit more since EPA and the fire department hit you with HUGE taxes to run the place..
that's what I thought. Why the fire department? Big ovens worry them? Haha
Be who YOU are, and say what YOU feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
-Dr. Seuss

GS500Schultz

yea my oven is a 3 phase power so it can melt a car if need be lol  1800 degrees max temp. Although it never gets set over 550.

I need to have 5 fire extinguishers and a whole different sprinkler system... so they come in every few months and bug me. 

The fink

So I've been doing alot of cleaning, thought I would post a few pics.

-Dr. Seuss

GS500Schultz

did you put them through a dish washer? that's damn clean!

ShowBizWolf

Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

The fink

Ha ha, thanks guys, no dishwasher, just a toothbrush, a wire brush, degreaser, and a lot of elbow grease  :thumb:
-Dr. Seuss

The fink

Got the rims back from powder coating today, they turned out great! I was curious if you guys had any recommendations on decent fairly inexpensive tires. Here are the rims
-Dr. Seuss

The fink

Quote from: The fink on February 23, 2015, 06:18:18 PM
Quote from: ShowBizWolf on February 23, 2015, 09:55:01 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your brother  :cry:  I have a big brother too (I'm 28, he's 35) and even though we aren't super close, I would be completely heartbroken if anything ever happened to him.

I think this is a wonderful way to keep his memory alive... and it is AWESOME you are saving a 24 year old GS!  :laugh:  Can't wait to see the progress.

Best wishes towards the project!  :cheers:
Thanks brother, I appreciate it. Pics to come :thumb:
I feel like a dunce, I figured you were a dude, it pays to read doesn't it. Makes you even cooler that you are a female that likes motorcycles.
So thanks my fair lady, lmao  :embarrassed:
-Dr. Seuss

The Buddha

That is a good powdercoat job, no doubt.
But you should have looked over all the welds, and ground off the factory weld splatter and zits and where there are gaps in the weld, you should have welded it shut. That would prevent water getting in those gaps and rusting the non powdercoated insides and then drip out.
Anyway good job on it. I did that to my current GS, and have found other issues. Like black powdercoat stains with gas etc etc

I've seen showbizwolf's avatar, she's an angry pumpkin that rides motorcycles.

Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

The fink

Quote from: The Buddha on February 27, 2015, 06:23:04 AM
That is a good powdercoat job, no doubt.
But you should have looked over all the welds, and ground off the factory weld splatter and zits and where there are gaps in the weld, you should have welded it shut. That would prevent water getting in those gaps and rusting the non powdercoated insides and then drip out.
Anyway good job on it. I did that to my current GS, and have found other issues. Like black powdercoat stains with gas etc etc

I've seen showbizwolf's avatar, she's an angry pumpkin that rides motorcycles.

Cool.
Buddha.
Good suggestion, but to late now, oh well, I would be more worried about that with paint. Yeah that avatar scares me, I just thought no way that's a chick lol  :icon_razz:
-Dr. Seuss

GS500Schultz

if you want great tires get the Pirelli ROSSO II's
sizes
110/70-17 front
140/70-17 rear

if you want cheap tires
Shinko SR740F   110/70-17 front
Shinko SR741     130/70-17 rear

I had shinkos on my Hyosung GT250 for about 2 years they were decent for commuting and some twisties but they're not a sports tire. So if you plan on riding it like a sports bike get some grippy tires.

ShowBizWolf

LOL you guys crack me up  :laugh:  Certainly won't be the last time I'm assumed to be a dude for being into bikes and custom vehicles... that's just the way it is I guess ;)

The helmet in my avatar is one of my custom ones I painted up and did a perforated vinyl visor decal to match... it's Corey Taylor's original mask from Slipknot. I also did a Spiderman helmet and am planning on painting maybe one or two more this summer. I love custom helmets... heck I love custom anything, that's why I'm here  :D 

The wheels look AWESOME!!! I am seriously considering having the wheels for my project car powdercoated if I can afford it. It just seems like the only way to go with wheels and other parts that take abuse!
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

ruifrsilva

Quote from: The fink on February 24, 2015, 06:27:47 PM

Thanks brother, thanks for sharing, looks good. Any links to your build thread?

Sadly no, I suck at taking pictures while doing things like this. I always forget about it while working on the project. So never put together a build thread.

ruifrsilva

Also, to comment on the powder coat staining, Be careful with all chemicals around the powdercoat. I had a slip up with brake cleaner on one of my fork tubes and messed up the finish on the tube.

GS500Schultz

Quote from: ruifrsilva on February 27, 2015, 11:56:14 AM
Also, to comment on the powder coat staining, Be careful with all chemicals around the powdercoat. I had a slip up with brake cleaner on one of my fork tubes and messed up the finish on the tube.

brake cleaner is the worst! use electric parts cleaner or soap and water. Never brake cleaner!

The fink

Quote from: ShowBizWolf on February 27, 2015, 10:38:59 AM
LOL you guys crack me up  :laugh:  Certainly won't be the last time I'm assumed to be a dude for being into bikes and custom vehicles... that's just the way it is I guess ;)

The helmet in my avatar is one of my custom ones I painted up and did a perforated vinyl visor decal to match... it's Corey Taylor's original mask from Slipknot. I also did a Spiderman helmet and am planning on painting maybe one or two more this summer. I love custom helmets... heck I love custom anything, that's why I'm here  :D 

The wheels look AWESOME!!! I am seriously considering having the wheels for my project car powdercoated if I can afford it. It just seems like the only way to go with wheels and other parts that take abuse!
You've got to post a pic of that helmet.
-Dr. Seuss

The fink

Quote from: GS500Schultz on February 27, 2015, 09:54:59 AM
if you want great tires get the Pirelli ROSSO II's
sizes
110/70-17 front
140/70-17 rear

if you want cheap tires
Shinko SR740F   110/70-17 front
Shinko SR741     130/70-17 rear

I had shinkos on my Hyosung GT250 for about 2 years they were decent for commuting and some twisties but they're not a sports tire. So if you plan on riding it like a sports bike get some grippy tires.
Thanks for the advice, I think im going to get the Pirelli's
-Dr. Seuss

The fink

And thanks for the powder coat and chemicals advice, I will indeed be very careful  :thumb:
-Dr. Seuss

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk