News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Haynes manual Here

Main Menu

stop the apalling behavior please

Started by pantablo, December 12, 2005, 12:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadstergal

Yep, there's new info.  And it's best to add it to the threads with the old info.  That way, all of the info is in one or at most a few places, and is easily looked through.  If we have 100+ threads on the same subject, then when you try to look through the information, you find 100+ threads.  So you don't bother to read them, and you start the 101st thread, and the information you get is only as good as who is up at that hour.

I should indeed have moved the oil thread to O&E, so sorry, I'll try to be more on top of that when I do check in.  But as said, the original post was already gone when I first looked, so there wasn't much more to talk about.

rtcpenguin

I was pretty pissed when the reply to my first post was one word, "search", posted by ajgs500. A gem indeed.

Also, I've noticed Roadstergal seems to put more effort into elaborate sarcastic "search" posts than it takes to answer the OP's question.

Roadstergal

Actually, my search posts usually take the form:

Search.

*Link.*

'Twould be faster to search and find the answer than type out the question and wait.  And I usually find some useful tangential information when I do.

cobalt135

I just want to agree with what a few other have pointed out:

The search function is not the best.  It takes time to figure out how to get it do find what you want.  Something newbies or first time posters to this site have little expierence with as well.

Moderators need to moderate.  Not saying the moderators here are no good :kiss: .  It's just that there will always be things that need taken care of and someone has to do it.

There really needs to be one or two new forums, say "General" structured as a GS500 area.  Another forum for other "Bike" realted posts besides the GS, a forum for engines or tuning, and "Tard Farm" for well, the tards :P, etc.   I am a believer that as the membership grows the site needs to grow as well.  I still remember joining a site that had like 20 or 25 members and like 4 forums.  Five years later it now has over 40,000 registered members and like 16 different forums.  That is alot of forums but it is very organized and there is really no question where something should be posted. OTOH there are sites with lots of users and forums that are hell to navigate and sort out the what belongs where.

Thats all I guess :cheers:
Craig

'05 GS500F sold to friend

2006 SV1000S

ajgs500

Quote from: rtcpenguinI was pretty pissed when the reply to my first post was one word, "search", posted by ajgs500. A gem indeed.

Also, I've noticed Roadstergal seems to put more effort into elaborate sarcastic "search" posts than it takes to answer the OP's question.

Hey I was being nice.  You should see some of my other posts.  Oh and I probably didnt know the answer, either!! :dunno:  :dunno:  :dunno:  :dunno:

davipu

hitler was a great orginazer,  I'd just like to point that out, he was also ghey, I'd like to point that out too,.

ajgs500

Quote from: davipuhitler was a great orginazer,  I'd just like to point that out, he was also ghey, I'd like to point that out too,.

Hitler was ghey???  I thought he got syphillis from a prostitue!!!  Well the things you learn on gstwins!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

pantablo

Quote from: davipudavipu was a great orginazer,  I'd just like to point that out, he was also ghey, I'd like to point that out too,.

FIXED.
now knock that shaZam! off.
Pablo-
http://pantablo500.tripod.com/
www.pma-architect.com

Quote from: makenzie71 on August 21, 2006, 09:47:40 PM...not like normal sex, either...like sex with chicks.

davipu

Cal Price

OK, OK, yeah, 1001 threads about oil can be a little annoying but we need to accept that the board is a living dynamic thing and sometime it takes it own direction.

The only realy stupid question is the one that someone is too embarrased to ask, especially from the newbies. A little tolerance won't ruin our lives.

Group hug, group hug, cough! well perhaps that's taking things a little far but you get the picture.
Black Beemer  - F800ST.
In Cricket the testicular guard, or Box, was introduced in 1874. The helmet was introduced in 1974. Is there a message??

RedShift

2001 GS500E, stock except for SV650 Flyscreen, Case Guards, Headlight Modulator, PIAA Super White bulb & 17-Tooth Front Sprocket, BLUE, RED and GREEN LED Instrument and Dash Lights

Jeff P

Quote from: rtcpenguinAlso, I've noticed Roadstergal seems to put more effort into elaborate sarcastic "search" posts than it takes to answer the OP's question.
For one of the mods, she does seem to be, um, "over represented" in the insipid off topic threads.

Quote from: ajgs500Hey I was being nice.  You should see some of my other posts.  Oh and I probably didnt know the answer, either!! :dunno:  :dunno:  :dunno:  :dunno:
I hope this thread has brought it to your attention that in such cases, you should probably just not reply at all.

jeff

TarzanBoy

Quote from: pantabloOn the other forums I frequent I always guide new riders both to the gs500 as a first bike and to this forum. One new member came here under my suggestion and he had this to say (emphasis mine):

QuoteI'm very aware of your site and the GSTWINS forum, both influenced my decision (as did this forum) and both are extremely helpful... though the folks on that forum can be a bit rude.

now, I dont want to single anyone person or persons out but as a whole, could we keep the snide remarks to a minimum? Yes, there is a search funtion but lets be a little more tactful about reminding people it exists please.

I completely agree with your quoted mystery poster.   I made a post a few weeks ago complaining when I was insulted on a different thread after trying to help someone.  Were I a moderator here, I would be embarrassed for anyone to read
some of the replies I got

Nowhere is perfect... but I think its ridiculous to let some of the behavior here slide only because someone's post count has reached some arbitrary number.  Thanks for the OP, Pantablo... apparently it takes a moderator to post something like that and not get trolled or flamed to death.  Pity.

Bluebellylint

It would be nice if we could limit the amount of posts some of the members can make per day. there are so many irrelevant topics and replies.
Do at least one thing That Scares You Everyday
93 GS500EPMatte Black Paint | OEM Cowlings | Fender Eliminated | Shortened Signals | Bar-end Mirrors | Advanced Timing

aaronstj

I really think it would help if post counts were simply turned off.  It would remove certain peoples motivation to keep making posts for the sheer purpose of making posts.
1992 Blue Monday, Wileyco, lunchbox, 150/40/3/1, Srinath bars, progressives, fenderectomy

Borak: How come Ogg use one spear, Borak need three?
Ogg: Not spear, caveman.

ajgs500

I will post as much as I freakin' want and say what ever I want.  Until they either kick me off this bored or they eliminate my first ammendment rights. :nana:  :nana:  :nana:  :nana:  :nana:  :nana:  :nana:  :nana:  :nana:  :nana:  :nana:

Jake D

The Supreme Court of the United States has soundly rejected prior restraint.

But it is, after all, a motorcycle forum.  So what can you say about motorcycles that will get you kicked off the forum?  Nothing, really.
2003 Honda VTR1000F Super Hawk 996

Many of the ancients believe that Jake D was made of solid stone.

Jeff P

uh, back to Constitution class.  The 1st amendment only prevents the government from restricting your speech.  This board can do whatever the hell it wants.  Pablo, Kerry, anybody want to take ajgs500 up on it?

jeff

cobalt135

Quote from: aaronstjI really think it would help if post counts were simply turned off.  It would remove certain peoples motivation to keep making posts for the sheer purpose of making posts.

...and wasting bandwith that John has to pay for.  I do not even pay attention to post counts anyway. :dunno:
Craig

'05 GS500F sold to friend

2006 SV1000S

Mountaineer

Well, we could add the FREAKIN' @$$hole forum for ajgs500 & the like.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk