News:

The simplest way to help GStwin is to use this Amazon link to shop

Main Menu

CAT Questions, Explain this feline lovers

Started by Huff1371, May 24, 2012, 05:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huff1371

OK, The last thing I want to do is offend or upset or anger someone. But I really need to know, what the hell is up with all the cat loving stuff seen on every motorcycle , guitar, and woodworking forum. I mean cats are cool and all but it seems like any of these sites you visit you have HUGE feline fanatics showing off this "cute" picture or that "witty" little cat meme. Is this a age thing, a interest in these hobbies thing, or something that I am missing thing. Does EVERYBODY feels this way? The last cat I had was hit by MY schoolbus at MY stop right in front of while I was waiting to go to school one morning. Did this permanently alter my 10 year old mind to block out any attachment or joy that can be given by these furry things. Like I said, I don't mean any offense by this but it's been in the back of my mind for the better part of a year now and adidasguy's cinco de meow post set this thought/rant going. If somebody would PLEASE explain this to me in a way I can understand I'd be very grateful.
Friendly fire, isn't. But it's the most accurate. Semper Fi

adidasguy

Huff1371

Please help. I really am being serious on this one.
Friendly fire, isn't. But it's the most accurate. Semper Fi

adidasguy

Some of us love cats as much as we love our GS500's.
I'm not sure what else to say. You love cats or you don't.
When we can't ride, we have our cats to play with.

codajastal

I am not interested in anything you have to say
Don't bother talking to me, I will not answer you

pandy

I think there are just a lot of animal lovers everywhere. We cat lovers are particularly freaky?  :cookoo:

:icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

'06 SV650s (1 past Gixxer; 3 past GS500s)
I get blamed for EVERYTHING around here!
:woohoo:

Big Rich

83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

cbcanada

I love my cat more than my bike :)
Sue me!

adidasguy

mister

Huff... the "pic of the cat with funny comment" works because the cats appear to have so many expressions. Some look cute, some look mad, crazy, bored, etc. What makes it all work is the nonhuman aspect together with an apparent human thought that is somewhat humorous.

If you HATE cats then maybe you won't find Any of them funny.

GS Picture Game - Lists of Completed Challenges & Current Challenge http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGame and http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGameList2

GS500 Round Aust Relay http://tinyurl.com/GS500RoundAustRelay

jestercinti

Quote from: Huff1371 on May 24, 2012, 05:16:13 PM
OK, The last thing I want to do is offend or upset or anger someone. But I really need to know, what the hell is up with all the cat loving stuff seen on every motorcycle , guitar, and woodworking forum. I mean cats are cool and all but it seems like any of these sites you visit you have HUGE feline fanatics showing off this "cute" picture or that "witty" little cat meme. Is this a age thing, a interest in these hobbies thing, or something that I am missing thing. Does EVERYBODY feels this way? The last cat I had was hit by MY schoolbus at MY stop right in front of while I was waiting to go to school one morning. Did this permanently alter my 10 year old mind to block out any attachment or joy that can be given by these furry things. Like I said, I don't mean any offense by this but it's been in the back of my mind for the better part of a year now and adidasguy's cinco de meow post set this thought/rant going. If somebody would PLEASE explain this to me in a way I can understand I'd be very grateful.

If it was just me in the house, I would prefer no cats.  My parents had a cat all growing up when I lived in the Midwest.  I didn't mind until I brought home friends that blew up like a balloon cause they were allergic.  When I got married, my wife had 3.  That was 7 years ago.  They were old then, and the last one died in October.  She was 20.  That's old for a cat.  The 3 year old was like 'I miss kitty', now we have a new one from the SPCA.  Cincinnati is overrun by cats, and the new one was like $5.  Came with the state of ohio mandated shots and was already spayed.  The no kill shelter wanted $80.  I wanted to name the cat 'five bux', but I lost that one  :D

The cat has a pistol of a temper and loves to be outside ALL FREAKING DAY and screams when it cannot be outside.  Tears through screens (we keep the windows open cause the AC is expensive) to get outside, and is a damn contortionist.

I tolerate them, but I prefer dogs.  A dog can be trained.  A cat trains you. 
Bikeless and Broke at the moment...

The Buddha

My neighbors have a few ... I hate em, I cannot feed birds cos the cats are all over the place ... however they got a new kitten that looks rather dusty. I dunno its a ash grey cat that really looks dusty. I told their kid - the 5 yr old that he needs to wash him. What do you know he dunked him in a bucket of water. So that didn't do it, obviously. So he looked @ me suspiciously.
A few days later I told him oh that wash looks like it didn't work, he's still dusty. I think you're gonna have to shave him,
Sadly he didn't buy that ...
Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

jdoorn14

Quote from: The Buddha on May 25, 2012, 09:24:55 AM
I cannot feed birds cos the cats are all over the place

I'm tempted to get a cat again just for that purpose...one of my neighbors has 6 birdfeeders. No joke. SIX of them. There is bird shaZam! everywhere because of it. I have to power wash my patio weekly to clean it off.  :mad:
It seems it has become necessary to qualify my posts:
I am/am not trying to start an argument. This post is/is not intended to be a personal attack. I am/am not merely attempting to present a different viewpoint.

Select the words that apply to you.

cbrfxr67

Fathead aka Johnny, Bad Kitty, or worse when he makes a mess.  He's the XL version and been with me for about 8 years, something like that.  He's a good cat.  She left him along with whatever else she didn't want when she moved out.  Now if he'd just learn how to make sammiches I'd be A OK.
:thumb:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

cbcanada

See what you gotta appreciate about cats is there athletism. There is pretty much nothing they cant do. Balance, power, speed, agility are overal the best in the animal kingdom.

I got a siamese cat that acts like its a cat in the jungle 24/7 . Always hunting and chasing.

A guy i know has a european mountain cat mix from slovakia. Not sure the exact name. It weighs 40 pounds!!!
Its a beast. A must see

It "F'ed up" a pit bull that was going after it.

adidasguy

Cats are more entertaining and agile than dogs.
Where dogs make maybe 10 to 15 vocalizations, cats can do 80 on the average.

Cats have hands. They can pick up things, hold them and bat them around. Dog paws are pretty much stumps good only for digging and scratching floors. Watch how cats play and pick things up. Very talented.

Cats take care of themselves. Dogs are a pack animal and rely on a leader. They need guidance hence they are easy to train.
Cats can be trained and even leash trained if you start when they're young.

Cats can survive on their own if left outside. Most dogs could not survive because they depend on humans and have lost the instincts for hunting. Through selective breeding over the years (which gives all the different dog breeds) many breeds are very fragile, not robust and quite prone to illness.

Cats still have their primal instincts. They hunt and (sometimes) eat birds, rodents, lizzards and other small animals. Cats don't kill people. (Well, maybe a lion.)

Some dogs have reverted back to very primal instincts. They can kill children, attack and maul people or other animals.

Some dogs are loud and very annoying. While killing people and being loud may have a purpose, as a house pet that is not good.

Never heard someone say "That cat took my baby" but you know about "That digno took my baby".

Cats are the only animal to domesticate themselves. They joined up with Man when we started to store grain. Grain attracted rodents. Rodents are food for cats. We accepted the cats because they protected our food.

Cats rule.

Cats are cool.

Roxtar

2009 GS500F

manofthefield

Quote from: The Buddha on May 25, 2012, 09:24:55 AM
My neighbors have a few ... I hate em, I cannot feed birds cos the cats are all over the place ... however they got a new kitten that looks rather dusty. I dunno its a ash grey cat that really looks dusty. I told their kid - the 5 yr old that he needs to wash him. What do you know he dunked him in a bucket of water. So that didn't do it, obviously. So he looked @ me suspiciously.
A few days later I told him oh that wash looks like it didn't work, he's still dusty. I think you're gonna have to shave him,
Sadly he didn't buy that ...
Cool.
Buddha.

I lol'd to tears at this.  I could just picture the 5 year old dunking a little grey kitty, then the kitty going apesh!t and scratching the kid to shreds. :thumb:

To the OP, I think lots of people love their pets and like to talk about them like they talk about their kids.  Only you can post pictures of pets without fear of them being kidnapped.  I think we've had dog posts on here about as much as cat posts.
motorcycleless
1998 GS500E sold 6/20/11

mister

GS Picture Game - Lists of Completed Challenges & Current Challenge http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGame and http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGameList2

GS500 Round Aust Relay http://tinyurl.com/GS500RoundAustRelay

dohabee

My theory on cat memes:

computer nerds create a large percentage of all memes

Most computer nerds have cats as opposed to dogs  because cats require less attention/effort than dogs and computer nerds are very busy/lazy

Therefore cat memes outnumber dog memes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk