News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Clymer manual Here

Main Menu

New GoPro! Why I love Hawaii. (last Page)

Started by hawaiianGS, February 26, 2012, 02:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shonole

Quote from: hawaiianGS on March 01, 2012, 08:58:14 AM
Thanks Shonole.

The gloves are some JoeRocket's I found at the local Suzuki shop.  I don't remember what type exactly. Sorry.  The mirrors are 1 of a kind, custom, homemade, cheap as poop mirrors.  I found a 13 dollar pair at the local Suzuki dealer.  They were all chrome, (OK, plastic made to look like real chrome) put them on and hated the look.  So I pulled them off, added some masking tape, and some hi-temp grill paint, and voila!  I think they turned out pretty nice.  I'll put up a better pic after work so you can see them.

Are they these?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/37/24443/ITEM/Joe-Rocket-Phoenix-4-0-Gloves.aspx

I almost picked up a pair of those, but got my Teknics instead.
2004 SV650n - Blue

hawaiianGS

Yep Shonole, those be them.
If you can feel the wind in your hair... you need to put a helmet on.

hawaiianGS

Here are those Cheap-o mirrors Shonole.  And thanks Electrojake.  I was going to make a new video today, however rain and beer got in the way.

Electrojake

Quote from: hawaiianGS on March 03, 2012, 07:54:18 PM

I was going to make a new video today, however rain and beer got in the way.

Heh-heh, been there - done that!  :cheers:
Current Stable: Suzuki DL1000k6, a Grom, two 70's vintage PUCH mopeds, and my kid's WR250R

hawaiianGS

Here ya go EJ.   Forgot about this one. Kinda cloudy, but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFR1Rlr4IkQ&feature=g-upl&context=G27b52e3AUAAAAAAAAAA

Twisted

Reckon someone could rig up a mount like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqolouFWLl0&feature=g-vrec&context=G20ae807RVAAAAAAAABA

Would be awesome from behind the helmet too. Listen to how lurvly that Ducati sounds mmmm  :thumb:

codajastal

Quote from: Twisted on March 25, 2012, 02:08:44 AM
Reckon someone could rig up a mount like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqolouFWLl0&feature=g-vrec&context=G20ae807RVAAAAAAAABA

Would be awesome from behind the helmet too. Listen to how lurvly that Ducati sounds mmmm  :thumb:

Bike sounds AWESOME :bowdown:
Love the shadow of the camera....looks like helicoptor blades on his head  :icon_lol:
I am not interested in anything you have to say
Don't bother talking to me, I will not answer you

yamahonkawazuki

take it to stelvio. EVERYBODYS dream ride. well i could practice on the dragon. but stelvio is my dream ride
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNAiq2yWBQI&feature=related
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

slipperymongoose

Great first time video there mate.  :thumb:
Some say that he submitted a $20000 expense claim for some gravel

And that if he'd write a letter of condolance he would at least spell your name right.

steezin_and_wheezin

definitely a great edit! good angles, music, and all

i get so damn judgmental on my own edits that i end up not even posting most.. i guess after watching and attempting to edit snowboard/freebord vids for so long i've grown to expect than my editing skills can manage. this summer i plan to post a couple though
if yer binders ain't squeakin, you ain't tweakin!

pave_spectre

Quote from: yamahonkawazuki on March 25, 2012, 04:46:05 AM
take it to stelvio. EVERYBODYS dream ride. well i could practice on the dragon. but stelvio is my dream ride
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNAiq2yWBQI&feature=related

Tempted to head in that direction when I am in the UK now. That and the road in Romania that the Top Gear guys drove
I like a non-sequitur as much as the next Giraffe.

yamahonkawazuki

to the OP have you noticed the audio sounding odd using a gopro?, every gopro video ive seen/heard has sounds liek the audio is canned. almsot sounding like speaking through a pipe. but not quite that bad. in most cases people using a gopro had audio recorded elsewhere and spliced hte two together. or used a good editor likesony vegas
".
A proud Mormon

hawaiianGS

Yeah Yama, the audio on the GoPro is crap. I would get an external mic, but I'm not that worried about it. Add some music and forget about the sound.

yamahonkawazuki

Quote from: hawaiianGS on March 27, 2012, 11:26:45 PM
Yeah Yama, the audio on the GoPro is crap. I would get an external mic, but I'm not that worried about it. Add some music and forget about the sound.
well its usable wiht perhaps music, AND the audio. one can balance out the other. hell im running a 640x480 res camera lolon my goped it was funny it was poined sideways, and the low res. made hte trees and vertical pieces bend at edge of shot. made me look like i was going faster than i was. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_ozFZ1ecvM
".
A proud Mormon

Twisted

The Go Pro is supposed to be one of the better camera when it comes to audio especially on the bike.

dougdoberman

Quote from: yamahonkawazuki on March 27, 2012, 12:56:37 AM
to the OP have you noticed the audio sounding odd using a gopro?, every gopro video ive seen/heard has sounds liek the audio is canned. almsot sounding like speaking through a pipe. but not quite that bad. in most cases people using a gopro had audio recorded elsewhere and spliced hte two together. or used a good editor likesony vegas

The audio on all of these cameras (GoPro, Contour, Drift, etc.) is pretty crappy without an external mic.  They use a tiny little onboard mic with tiny little access holes. 

If you've got the camera anywhere that's getting hit by wind, the audio is basically unusable once you get above a walking pace.  The GoPro mounting case comes with two different backs, one that's got openings for normal use and a solid one that's supposed to block out the wind better for higher speed use.  It certainly helps, but when you're only improving from "godawful" to "not quite godawful" ... meh.   

There are a variety of mods out there that'll help, such as simply attaching some foam over the mic, but the results are still far less than impressive.

The best option is, of course, an external mic.  The latest models are coming with that option , so that's good.  Unfortunately, for those of us with earlier models, the only way to attach an external is to mod the camera.   Which is what I'm about to do with my Contour HD.

I've got a Countour and a Drift Stealth.  I had a GoPro up until a week ago when I tossed it in to the deal for the '96 GS I just bought.  the GoPro went because it's just too bulky for my tastes.  Hang that thing off the side of my helmet?  No thanks.  Particularly not on the sport bike at elevated speeds.  Also, it's not as easy to mod it for an external mic.

The Drift has an external mic port.  The plan right now is to hack one into the Contour as well.  I'll set up the Drift facing straight forward on the bike, with the mic run back under the tail where it will pick up the sound of the exhaust, hopefully without too much wind noise.  The Contour will be helmet mounted with the mic run into my helmet so I can record ride commentary, or my last words if things go bad.  :)

My original plan was to mount the GoPro facing backwards, but I could not find a mounting spot I was happy with on any of my bikes.  I think I'll probably just pick up another Drift or the Contour with the mic jack.
If you can't be a good example, at least try to be a horrible reminder.

pave_spectre

Quote from: dougdobermanUnfortunately, for those of us with earlier models, the only way to attach an external is to mod the camera.   Which is what I'm about to do with my Contour HD.

This is what I did with my contour. Added a 3.5mm socket so I can leave the mic attached to the bike. Only problem with that method is that the connector needs some tape wrapped round it when the mic is plugged in otherwise I get scratching noises in the audio from any cable movement tugging on the connector.

Currently looking at the ReplayXD1080 as a replacement/addition, as there is an external power/external mic adapter available for it, it's small, and video seems pretty good.

dougdoberman

Quote from: pave_spectre on March 30, 2012, 02:37:13 PM
Quote from: dougdobermanUnfortunately, for those of us with earlier models, the only way to attach an external is to mod the camera.   Which is what I'm about to do with my Contour HD.

This is what I did with my contour. Added a 3.5mm socket so I can leave the mic attached to the bike. Only problem with that method is that the connector needs some tape wrapped round it when the mic is plugged in otherwise I get scratching noises in the audio from any cable movement tugging on the connector.

Currently looking at the ReplayXD1080 as a replacement/addition, as there is an external power/external mic adapter available for it, it's small, and video seems pretty good.

Pave, where'd you put your connector?  Is it in the case, or did you run wires out and make it external?  I'd like to get mine in the case, but I'm not sure where I can put it that will let me use all of my Contour mounting options.  The suction cup mount covers the bottom of the device.  I haven't taken mine apart yet and don't remember from the pics.  I wonder if I can face it so that the mic would plug in from the front.  That should let me use all of the mounting options.

Hmmm, thinnking about it now I bet you've got yours outside the case.  Might be hard to wrap it with tape if it's not.  Bah.  Now I'm gonna hafta rethink my mounting if audio scratching is a problem.  :(

I don't think I'm familiar with the Replay.  Gonna go look it up now.  Maybe I can get it and leave my Contour unmodified.  :)

dougdoberman

http://replayxd.com/cameras/replay-xd1080-camera/

Oooh, that's nice.  I may pick up one of these and relegate my Contour to rear-looking or on-someone-else's-helmet duty.  :)

I'm torn about the 135 degree FOV instead of 170 though.  Yeah, 170 has a bit of fish-eye, but it's closer to what a human would see.

There's not a basic external mic adapter available yet though.  :(  Though maybe the power/mic cable would be a better bet since this one doesn't have a swappable battery like my others do. 

I LOVE that the technology space for these things has just blossomed hugely lately.  :)  There are SO many good choices out there.  In fact, it's a little overwhelming.   I'd like to see some of the others gain a bit more traction (the Countour seems to be about the only one that really has), since I think that almost all of them are even better devices than the popular GoPro.  (Who, don't get me wrong, deserve all the credit they get for hitting the mainstream and really popularizing action cams.  And who do make a good device.)

pave_spectre

Quote from: dougdoberman on March 30, 2012, 02:49:21 PM
Pave, where'd you put your connector?  Is it in the case, or did you run wires out and make it external?  I'd like to get mine in the case, but I'm not sure where I can put it that will let me use all of my Contour mounting options.  The suction cup mount covers the bottom of the device.  I haven't taken mine apart yet and don't remember from the pics.  I wonder if I can face it so that the mic would plug in from the front.  That should let me use all of the mounting options.

I'll take a picture of mine tonight when I get home from work.
It's mounted outside, there was just no way I could find to mount a 3.5mm connector inside the case. It's pretty packed in there. A 2.5mm might fit but I would open it up and look around before trying.
I have about an inch or 2 of cable sticking out of the bottom pretty much where the original mic hole was. Far enough forward that I can still use the universal tripod mount without any problems.

QuoteI'm torn about the 135 degree FOV instead of 170 though.  Yeah, 170 has a bit of fish-eye, but it's closer to what a human would see.

That's about the only thing stopping me from just buying two of them straight off the bat. Will be looking at some more videos to compare over the weekend and make up my mind. Personally I do find the fisheyeing a little disconcerting in some vids that less FOV is appealing, but not sure 135 is quite wide enough. Around 150 I think would be ideal compromise.

Overall with audio, I have been very tempted to jsut buy a decent stand alone audio recorder and whip up a home made clapper board, and sync the audio/video in post. :D
Did a quick pricing on amazon, and a full setup including seperate audio, and external HDMI recorders(for uncompressed video files rather than relying on the cameras crappy codec) for two cameras(replayxd), worked out around US$1200 :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk