News:

The simplest way to help GStwin is to use this Amazon link to shop

Main Menu

EAST coast-who has kerry's valve adjusting kit?

Started by se7enty7, November 18, 2004, 02:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

se7enty7

I need it next  :)

Please pm me

Thanks!   :thumb:

Flash

"A bad day of riding is better than a good day at work."

'96 Mods: Bob B. ign. advancer, 40 pilot/125 main jets, 15T fr sprocket, fenderectomy, 1/2" fabr fork brace, Pingel petcock

Blueknyt

is this the one with all the shims, i have a few to donate as they are thicker then my needs, and i might be needing some smaller shims myself.
Accelerate like your being chased, Corner like you mean it, Brake as if you life depends on it.
Ride Hard...or go home.

Its you Vs the pavement.....who wins today?

Kerry

Yeah, he's talking about this kit:

It should be en route from TX to OR right now.  Except for the 2.15 "test shim" I'm afraid the kit doesn't currently include anything smaller than a 2.68 or so.  I had to put a 2.60 in my bike for now, even though it needs a 2.50.  As the kit makes its way around the country I hope to gather some more 2.5x - 2.6x shims.

You could send your extras directly to me if you like.  That might be easier than timing things to coincide with the kit's location.  I'm hoping to keep it "on the move" as continuously as possible.
Yellow 1999 GS500E
Kerry's Suzuki GS500 Page

The Buddha

Since you wanted "Kerry's shim kit " I wont give you mine...  :lol:
My calipers are better ... true digital ... and my shims collection is better too ... 2.50 to 2.80... and my feeler guage is also worn to the 1 thousandth from the 1.5 ... its 1 thousandths in one spot and 1.5 closer to the hinge ... but I guess you dont want that ...
Cool.
Srinath.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.

The Buddha

And it has tweezers instead of the magnet and the screwdriver ...
Cool.
Srinath.

TR

Quote from: seshadri_srinathAnd it has tweezers instead of the magnet and the screwdriver ...
Cool.
Srinath.

But it has no picture...  :mrgreen:
Y2K golden GS, K&N lunchbox, 140/40/0/3, Progressive springs, Michelin Pilot Street Radials 110 & 140, R6 shock, braided front brake line, 15T sprocket, LED H4 bulb...

se7enty7

Quote from: seshadri_srinathSince you wanted "Kerry's shim kit " I wont give you mine...  :lol:
My calipers are better ... true digital ... and my shims collection is better too ... 2.50 to 2.80... and my feeler guage is also worn to the 1 thousandth from the 1.5 ... its 1 thousandths in one spot and 1.5 closer to the hinge ... but I guess you dont want that ...
Cool.
Srinath.

*sigh* now srinath don't get upset! lol...  I had no idea anyone else had a shim kit... I only had heard of kerry's....  I'll be glad to add any extra shims I have/get/have to buy  to anyone who will let me use their kit..

Thanks!

The Buddha

I dont have a "kit" per say ... just all that crap I have to do this ...
I'll send it out in a few hours ...
Cool.
Srinath.

Kerry

Quote from: seshadri_srinathMy calipers are better ... true digital ... and my shims collection is better too ... 2.50 to 2.80...
[...]
Oh yeah?   But does your kit have a 2.15 test shim?  :mrgreen:  Just joking.

I think this is great - the bigger the "community chest" the better!  :thumb:

PS - I like the tweezers idea.  I'm sure I used them at least once.  But after having the shim go "thwack" onto the magnet and pull right out I've never looked back.  No dropping it down the "well"....

Tweezers would sure help for putting the shims back in though, especially on the exhaust valves.  The intake valves are close enough to level that the shim fairly JUMPS back in place.  But with the more steeply-angled exhaust valves the shims tend to overshoot the bucket when I drop them in.
Yellow 1999 GS500E

dgyver

Where is the rag that needs to be stuffed in the timing chain slot so nothing drops into the abyss?  :dunno:   :mrgreen:
Common sense in not very common.

The Buddha

Quote from: Kerry
Quote from: seshadri_srinathMy calipers are better ... true digital ... and my shims collection is better too ... 2.50 to 2.80...
[...]
Oh yeah?   But does your kit have a 2.15 test shim?  :mrgreen:  Just joking.

I think this is great - the bigger the "community chest" the better!  :thumb:

PS - I like the tweezers idea.  I'm sure I used them at least once.  But after having the shim go "thwack" onto the magnet and pull right out I've never looked back.  No dropping it down the "well"....

Tweezers would sure help for putting the shims back in though, especially on the exhaust valves.  The intake valves are close enough to level that the shim fairly JUMPS back in place.  But with the more steeply-angled exhaust valves the shims tend to overshoot the bucket when I drop them in.

Heck no ... 2.15 ...I think we discussed this ... you are going thinner and I am going thicker ... I started out at 250-260 and now I am mostly 260-270's and 1 comming upon 280 ... but I have these other Gs'es that roll into my life ... never know what they have...
Cool.
Srinath.

Kerry

Quote from: dgyverWhere is the rag that needs to be stuffed in the timing chain slot so nothing drops into the abyss?  :dunno:   :mrgreen:
Not included in the kit, but I do show it in the video.  IIRC, you even get to see it perform a "save"....  :oops:
Yellow 1999 GS500E

Kerry

Quote from: seshadri_srinathHeck no ... 2.15 ...I think we discussed this ... you are going thinner and I am going thicker ... I started out at 250-260 and now I am mostly 260-270's and 1 comming upon 280
Gee, maybe we should TRADE shim sets.... :dunno:

I'll be interested to see what thicknesses come back with the kit.
Yellow 1999 GS500E

The Buddha

Quote from: Kerry
Quote from: dgyverWhere is the rag that needs to be stuffed in the timing chain slot so nothing drops into the abyss?  :dunno:   :mrgreen:
Not included in the kit, but I do show it in the video.  IIRC, you even get to see it perform a "save"....  :oops:

Never needed a rag ...heck I never even thought I might drop something down there...
Cool.
Srinath.

se7enty7

Quote from: seshadri_srinathI dont have a "kit" per say ... just all that crap I have to do this ...
I'll send it out in a few hours ...
Cool.
Srinath.

Awesome!! Thanks man

dgyver

Quote from: seshadri_srinath
Never needed a rag ...heck I never even thought I might drop something down there...
The one time I did not have a rag in the slot, a shim slipped and well....after dropping the oil pan and then pulling the clutch cover I found the shim.
Common sense in not very common.

davipu

to answer the original question  "me"

Kerry

se7enty7, please PM davipu and send him your address.  If he gets done with the toolkit and has nowhere to send it, I have instructed him to return it to me.  But that just makes it more expensive for the next guy, who will need to reimburse me for shipping it to him AND pay to ship it on to the next person in line.

If we can keep the kit moving, each person will only have to pay shipping on it once.  :thumb:

PS - Part of the deal is that each person tosses in their cast-off shims.  Hopefully you will do this whether you find replacements in the kit or you have to buy your own replacements (because the kit doesn't have the right size).

I can't think of a better way to build up a nice selection of shims.  And if you tossed in your old ones after paying for new ones, you should have "direct shipment" rights straight from the kit for your next valve adustment.
Yellow 1999 GS500E

davipu

what does everyone think of a 5 dollar charge for the video, and the money going to buy more shims?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk