Poll

Do you think you will see the runout of oil in this lifetime? Or at least to the point it will not be sold to the public?

yes
1 (4.5%)
no
15 (68.2%)
not sure
3 (13.6%)
don't care
2 (9.1%)
i'm a squid
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: oil poll  (Read 792 times)

Offline porsche4786

• Pimp for a day!
  • World Supersport Racer
oil poll
« on: October 01, 2006, 03:27:45 AM »
 well?
-Kevin
2005 GS500F (sold), 1989 RX-7, 2006 GSXR 600

Offline s4gs

• Formula Extreme Racer
Re: oil poll
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 05:52:22 AM »
Don't think it'll run out in my life time but it may get to a point where is rationed out.
Or become to expensive to run a car or bike daily.

I know i got a push bike in the shed somewhere....
04 GS500 Naked   SOLD.
07 SV1000S

Offline Wrecent_Wryder

• MotoGP Racer
  • Any obligations to contribute have been forfeited.
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 07:34:12 AM »
I8
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 10:36:16 AM by Wrecent_Wryder »
"On hiatus" in reaction to out-of-control moderators, thread censorship and member bans, 7/31/07.
Your cure is worse than the disease.
Remember, no one HAS to contribute here.

Offline trumpetguy

• World Supersport Racer
  • Old Guys Rule
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 11:38:01 AM »
It's the 33% (so far) who voted "don't care" that amaze me...

How do you "not care" when our civilization currently relies on fossil fuels for energy almost exclusively?

Is it that immaturity prevents you from questioning anything about the future?  Those who do not prepare for the future choose failure.  As a society, we need to develop alternatives and NOT rely on energy businesses to do so.  Energy businesses have a vested interest in squashing the development of altrenatives.  They have been very succesful so far.
TrumpetGuy
1998 Suzuki GS500E
1982 Suzuki GS1100E
--------------------------------------
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline RVertigo

• PostWhore Extraordinaire
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 11:35:00 AM »
It's not about "Running Out" of oil...  It's about oil becoming so expensive that everything that requires oil becomes more and more expensive.

$120 a barrel...
$250 a barrel...

There's no need to run out.

Offline vtlion

• Please Make Fun of Me
  • World Superbike Racer
  • God Bless the Hokie Nation
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 06:24:16 AM »
Most of the doomsday "we're gonna run out of oil in this century" stories are linear predictions based on current production.

What many of these predictions forget is that supply and demand is in play here.  As oil becomes more scarce, previously unprofitable deposits will become profitable due to rising prices.

So my "no" vote is conditional.  I don't think that we will run out soon, but price and availability will suffer a little more each decade until the pressure to develop a better technology finally becomes great enough to get us moving down another fuel pathway.

On another note, seafloor methane hydrates have been estimated to contain as much as ten times the organic carbon in the worlds current oil supply, so I wouldn't worry too much about combustion becoming a thing of the past anytime soon.
2 C8H18 + 25 O2 = 16 CO2 + 18 H2O + :)
the bikeography is down for a bit
what IS a Hokie?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk