Author Topic: Gun Owners?  (Read 176185 times)

Offline ojstinson

• AMA Superbike Racer
    • http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww283/ojstinson/
Re: Gun Owners?
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2012, 04:44:27 AM »
It's not going to happen at my house, no one is going to sneak up on me at home. I live on 3 fenced acres and have indoor dogs that go crazy anytime anyone or anything gets close to the house day or night, and even when I'm away there is always someone at home that has access and can shoot. When I was a cop in Miami a good 90 percent of guns stolen were taken from unoccupied vehicles.
I'm not a racist, some of my best friends are you people.

Offline mister

• Don't call me mister, I work for a living
  • Motorcycle God!
  • There is Always a way
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2012, 04:53:48 PM »
We have VERY strict gun laws down here in Aust...

1 - you must complete a 2 day Safety Certificate Course before applying for a license
2 - the license application must contain a copy of your safety cert plus proof of a Valid Reason for firearm ownership (shooting club membership / letter from land owner granting permission to shoot on their property)
3 - once submitted the application will NOT be looked at for 30 days
4 - once granted you can buy a gun the following way....

4i - visit police station and ask for a Application For a Permit To Acquire
4ii - go shopping for a gun. Once found, either take Application home and fill it out - or - have it filled out by Gun Store with Their Address as the address to send the Permit once it has been granted
4iii - submit application to police station with application fee (if this is your 1st gun the application will not be looked at for another 30 days, otherwise you'll have it within the week)
4iv - Gun Store calls when Permit To Acquire arrives. Visit store and complete transaction. The firearm's SN and other details will be taken down and submitted to the Weapons Licensing Branch to be stored with your details.
4v - walk out with firearm. A few days later you will receive a letter from Weapons Licensing listing your Firearm License details and the Firearms registered to you.

You cannot privately sell a firearm unless brokered by a dealer who does all the paperwork to notify weapons licensing.
Weapons Licensing can do spot checks on your storage facilities by giving you two weeks notice of inspection.

All firearms are given categories....

Rimfire, air rifle and shotguns are Cat A, Bolt Action center-fires are Cat B. Shot guns cannot have a mag larger than 2, no semi-auto anything on these license categories, you need other, harder to get, license categories to have semi autos and handguns.

Handgun is Cat H. Must attend shooting range X times per year to satisfy requirements for granting of handgun license.

After all this malarky.... over 95% of all guns confiscated from criminals by police are not, nor have ever been, registered in, nor show any record of having been brought into this country legally.

Even with all this hoop jumping, the number of people who own guns and who participate in gun sports in this country is on the rise.

Michael
GS Picture Game - Lists of Completed Challenges & Current Challenge http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGame and http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGameList2

GS500 Round Aust Relay http://tinyurl.com/GS500RoundAustRelay

Offline VerdonD952

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2012, 09:41:32 PM »
heh   we can buy semi-auto (mini 14) at walmat.  with some paperwork is can be yours for the weekend.   Love VA and the USA. 
Peace out girl scout,

VerdonD952

Offline yamahonkawazuki

• Resident MonoPod
  • Motorcycle God!
  • -Dum spiro spero (while i breathe, i hope)
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2012, 10:48:38 PM »
heh   we can buy semi-auto (mini 14) at walmat.  with some paperwork is can be yours for the weekend.   Love VA and the USA.
and can be made full auto with parts LEGALLY avail for sale at most gun shows. once health improves i want to reacquire my automatic weapons permit. i forget what its called nowadys
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

Offline shonole

• Poo poo head
  • World Supersport Racer
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2012, 11:39:28 PM »
That's true, I would think that breaking into a gun fanatic's house would be pretty far down on a thief's list of things to do---of course there are some pretty dumb ass criminals out there.

Yep, and you'd have to have quite a lot for it to be worth risking their life to steal. Also, people that are really serious about it are going to have safes and everything else so the chances of them getting anything other than a lead sandwich are pretty low.

How many gun stores do you hear of getting robbed? Not many. The only thing I've ever heard of was ONCE, about 10 years ago, a gun store in Atlanta was broken into at night and the guy got stuck inside and the cops arrested him.

You'd be surprised at the number of guns that go missing each year in GA alone.  We used to get bulletins listing SNs, etc. and the majority of them were guns stolen from residences (some very large, expensive collections as well), with vehicles coming after.  In the south it's not uncommon for people to leave a handgun in their truck with the doors unlocked.   :cookoo:

Hmmm...well I think the point the other guy was trying to make was that they might come and hold you at gunpoint to steal your guns. Which, in my opinion, probably isn't going to happen. They may break in while you're not at home or something. Also...these people with these expensive gun collections...did they not bother to invest in a safe or something? I mean, this isn't the Italian Job...they're not coming in with all kinds of tools and other stuff to break into your gun safe, lol.

Most of the time they'll just take the safe..  Lol.  Have you ever seen the videos of criminals stealing ATMs?  Same principle. 

I don't imagine there are many home invasions where people are targeting guns.  But I laugh at the notion that a gun is going to save your life when you're in the dead of sleep.  Are you even going to wake up?  If so, can you get to your gun?  If so, can you actually hit anything with it?  Have you ever tried firing groggy, when you where suddenly awakened by an intruder?  If guns were so effective as crime deterrents, we would have far fewer (residential) burglaries.

Lol. I mean, I keep my 380 on me most of the time (when it's legal to do-so, obviously - I do have the carry license though). I've never tried waking up and getting to it but then again, I'd pretty wide-ass awake if somebody broke a window which is what they'd have to do to get in. Plus, we have dogs that bark like crazy if anything goes bump.

As far as stealing the whole safe...uh, what the hell? I guess there are some high-roller criminals with the means to do so, but then again, they'd have to know you had it in the first place to be prepared to take it - right? I doubt that the common criminal that breaks into a middle-class home is going to have the equipment necessary to move an entire safe that's bolted to the floor, which is what I assume most people that have any kind of serious collection have.

Hell, a friend of mine has this huge Cannon safe that cost more than the guns he puts in it - you could easily fit yourself inside it. It's bolted to the floor in his basement. I bet it weighs in upwards of 1500lbs. How would they even get it out of the house without tearing out the wall? When they installed it they had to take the door frame out to get it through.

I don't know...I guess given enough time and the right equipment they can steal anything you've got but...like I said, it goes back to...are they coming to take that or is it just a couple of two-bit criminals busting out windows and stealing TVs that run across an enormous gun safe? What would they do? Come back later? I guess I can see that but then again, that's a pretty big risk isn't it? The next time they might not be so lucky...you know? But who knows...I guess it's all speculation, and in the end, you probably know more about it than I do.

It's not hard to figure out who has large gun collections.  Many gun owners frequent pawn shops, so a little bit of casing goes a long way.

And they take it as such:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mng-SPNu6vI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mng-SPNu6vI

Those aren't necessarily the best examples, just some quick ones I pulled up.  Just remember, where there's a will, there's a way.  And criminals can be quite creative.  Not saying it happens all that often, but it does from time to time.

2004 SV650n - Blue

Offline Big Rich

• Motorcycle God!
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2012, 01:12:11 AM »
Yama, a guy I work with got his a couple years ago. It took a while to clear all the proper channels, but now he owns a Mac10 (I think?). The entire time he was waiting for the permit to clear he just bought 9mm ammo.

The same guy also has 3 home made cannons: a small desktop sized one that shoots .50 cal muzzleloader balls, a medium sized one, and the big one.........shoots softball sized balls.
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

Offline Janx101

• I only use hair curlers for their intended purpose
  • Motorcycle God!
  • Singing is a new MotoVlog Hobby!
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2012, 08:36:11 PM »
ok this is in the newspaper so its all very dramatic for ppl to read but ...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sydney-news/fears-that-nsw-is-under-the-gun/story-fn7y9brv-1226377827009

i really dont think the crims care how your stuff is secured or what other external "safety features" exist ... they have time .. and if they want it .. they'll get it .. .

i agree the simple housebreakers probably not gonna try for the gunsafe right then and there ... but from that moment they know about it.. and think about it .. or pass the word along ...

a lot of 'street guns' are usually knocked around and not that serviceable ... nearly all the licensed ones are clean and oiled and in perfect functionality .. with cool 'scopes and laser dots etc .. ok there may be some good ones on the street too ... but everyone will want a well looked after gun to start with ...

again just my 2cents

Offline Big Rich

• Motorcycle God!
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2012, 09:57:22 PM »
Janx, if a home is broken into a first time and the guns aren't stolen, i would like to believe home security becomes top priority. It really becomes the worst form of "invasion of privacy", and everything gets a second look. Outdoor plants, internal and external lighting, security systems, maybe a big dog is added, etc, etc..

A common street criminal has no use for any bells and whistles on a firearm. They want a cheap gun that works, and if they are smart will be tossed quickly afterwards. A scope in the hands of a criminal is next to worthless, and a red dot sight actually isn't the best thing either. Neither are guaranteed to be accurate, the red dot sight needs batteries and an "on" switch, and both are bulky in a concealed carry.

Offline knowles

• World Supersport Racer
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2012, 12:06:42 AM »
Glock 23
Glock 22 i think (sold it)
Colt M4 w/ tac light, single, semi, full auto.
Remington 870 police w/ tac light, pistol grip, collapsible stock
Beretta Ureka 12 auto shotgun
Rem .22 long rifle for my son
level lll vest

Got to shoot a full auto Glock, was sweet what made it even better was that i didnt have to pay for the ammo.
1989 GS 500EK

Offline yamahonkawazuki

• Resident MonoPod
  • Motorcycle God!
  • -Dum spiro spero (while i breathe, i hope)
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2012, 01:27:25 AM »
Yama, a guy I work with got his a couple years ago. It took a while to clear all the proper channels, but now he owns a Mac10 (I think?). The entire time he was waiting for the permit to clear he just bought 9mm ammo.

The same guy also has 3 home made cannons: a small desktop sized one that shoots .50 cal muzzleloader balls, a medium sized one, and the big one.........shoots softball sized balls.
damn i gotta meet this guy. btw these are FUN to shoot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31vm3-BQRJU
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

Offline Janx101

• I only use hair curlers for their intended purpose
  • Motorcycle God!
  • Singing is a new MotoVlog Hobby!
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2012, 06:05:12 PM »
@bigrich  :)

yeah agree with you totally for your points made. just with some of the methods used recently and by the groups that i reckon may be behind the break ins .. drug related organised crime etc .. plus the recent spate of drive by shootings around australia ... the weapons are slowly increasing in sophistication .. not always... pistols and shotguns sure dont need scopes and red-dots.. but a few situations have been sniper-esque ..

also some of the stolen weapons may well be sold just for their cash value to collectors etc .. however dodgy this seems.

not tryin to dramatise things .. just one of my "them" theories.  :thumb:

Offline Big Rich

• Motorcycle God!
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2012, 06:33:23 PM »
No worries on my end man! I am slightly aware of the general differences between U.S. gun policies and Australia's gun policies. Even the general attitude between the two countries is like night and day.

We all have different opinions, that's what makes this world great!

Offline mister

• Don't call me mister, I work for a living
  • Motorcycle God!
  • There is Always a way
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2012, 01:51:54 AM »
I think the biggest telling thing in the article was this line: "I have been in the same shooters club for years and never had a problem."

Most likely, also getting their monthly publication delivered to your door. ANYONE can see what it is... a publication put out to people who belong to a shooting club. Might as well have put a big sign on the house saying "Criminals, guns inside here, home vacant between 7:30am and 6:00pm each day".

Michael
GS Picture Game - Lists of Completed Challenges & Current Challenge http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGame and http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGameList2

GS500 Round Aust Relay http://tinyurl.com/GS500RoundAustRelay

Offline jestercinti

• Skinny and still bat shit crazy
  • World Superbike Racer
  • Rockin' the Rustbelt in Oh High Oh
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2012, 06:04:28 AM »
Had a conceal and carry permit once, and never did get a gun.   Null and void since I now live in a different state.

Have a 3 year old.  Nervous about anything other than a water pistol in the house.
Bikeless and Broke at the moment...

Offline VerdonD952

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2012, 05:44:31 PM »
Had a conceal and carry permit once, and never did get a gun.   Null and void since I now live in a different state.

Have a 3 year old.  Nervous about anything other than a water pistol in the house.

Depending on what state your in, your permit is probably still good.  The one i got here in VA is good in like, well....alot of other states.  PA is one of the best states to get a permit in cuz its good almost every wear.
Peace out girl scout,

VerdonD952

Offline Kijona

• Missing a period
  • MotoGP Racer
  • What's the big deal with clip-ons?
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2012, 09:19:15 PM »

Depending on what state your in, your permit is probably still good.  The one i got here in VA is good in like, well....alot of other states.  PA is one of the best states to get a permit in cuz its good almost every wear.

www.georgiacarry.org <- great info for GA residents. The reciprocity is pretty good for GA too.

Offline Huff1371

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2012, 05:18:40 PM »
Ok. Here are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
 -Rock River Arms LAR-15 Tactical Operator 2 (5.56 NATO)
 -DPMS Panther M-4 16" (5.56 NATO)
 -Yugo SKS scoped w/Dragonov stock (7.62x39)
 -Norinco SKS (7.62x39)
 -Scmidt & Rubin (swiss Mfg.) k31 in .308
 -Ruger Mini-30 Tactical (.308)
 -Ruger Mini-14 Rancher (.223)
 -Ruger 10/22 Full stainless w/laminate stock (.22)
 -Remington 700 VTR (.308)
 -1956 Winchester Model 70 (.270)
 -1953 Winchester Model 70 (.308)
 -Winchester Model 70 Featherlight (.308)
 -Springfield SOCOM II (.308)
 -MANY MANY more Antique/Collectible rifles
Pistols
 -Springfield XD-45 (.45 ACP) best carry i've had
 -Springfield 1911 G.I.
 -Para 1911 (10mm)
 -Ruger Mk III (.22)
 -Sig P226 (.40)
 -S&W Model 16 (.38)
 -Taurus PT145 (.45)
Shotguns
 -Mossberg 500 12g
 -Winchester Ranger 12g
 -Saiga 20g
 -Benelli NOVA 12g
 -Browning Citori Double 12g
 -New England 20g (HATE to shoot)

It's quite an investment but an enjoyable one. My Step-father is a FFL dealer so I have the access to some great deals. Huge supporter of the culture but think it quite silly to carry to political rallies just because you can. Or open carry for intimidation purposes. If you act like an A$$ with a gun everyone thinks people who have guns are A$$es. If anyone sees mine it's because I have commited to using it if necessary.
Friendly fire, isn't. But it's the most accurate. Semper Fi

Offline VerdonD952

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2012, 05:39:40 PM »
Hey Huff,

How do you like your rock ricer arms?  I was looking into them for a .45 acp but dont know anyone that has shot one.  What do you think of the weapon and how it shoots?  good craftsmanship? evenly balanced?  how are the internals?
Peace out girl scout,

VerdonD952

Offline Huff1371

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2012, 05:58:02 PM »
I'm actually waiting on it to get here from TX. Should be here Sat. I had a RRA Coyote and it was probably the best quality AR-15 for the $$$. Don't know about any pistols. As far as I know they only make the 1911 platforms in .45ACP and are top notch from what I here. You may be thinking of Rock Island pistols. Here is what I bought. Got it on Gunbroker.com for $950

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=464
Friendly fire, isn't. But it's the most accurate. Semper Fi

Offline canucklehead

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2012, 06:14:18 PM »
No handguns (used to shoot a Browning Hi-Power 9mm when I was in the military, but too many regulations up here in Canuckistan for me to bother owning one now).

I have:
 - Savage Model 99 in .300 Savage
 - Weatherby Vanguard in .30-06
 - a Browning Superposed 12 ga
 - a Mossberg 500 12 ga
 - an old No.1 Mk III Lee Enfield SMLE (.303 British)
 - a Lakefield .22 repeater

Used to own some others, transferred some to my oldest son, gave a few others away over the years

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk