News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Haynes manual Here

Main Menu

Gun Owners?

Started by Kijona, May 29, 2012, 10:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kijona

Wetting the phonebook (soaking) will make the tests more consistent. After several shots in a dry one, the pages will start to separate due to the disturbance inside, which can create inconsistencies. Also, like Janx said, it will cut down on all the mess.

adidasguy

They leave phone books at my door. I don't use them so might as well use them for target practice rather than throwing directly into recycling bin.
The phone companies sued the city for having a "Don't give me phone books" list. So they get to leave them at my door even when I don't want them.

Janx101

Quote from: Kiwingenuity on July 09, 2013, 12:00:29 PM
Quote from: adidasguy on July 09, 2013, 01:35:22 AM
Without going to the expense of getting ballistics gel, what other hill-billy home brew things work?

Well I am sure there is road kill you could always try  :icon_mrgreen:

Kijona

Get some of those coons. Yumm-ee! Coon-helper.

yamahonkawazuki

Quote from: adidasguy on July 09, 2013, 04:28:50 PM
They leave phone books at my door. I don't use them so might as well use them for target practice rather than throwing directly into recycling bin.
The phone companies sued the city for having a "Don't give me phone books" list. So they get to leave them at my door even when I don't want them.
Ive not had a landline in almost 8 years. cards have my cell, and stuff. my old line now goes to an apt at the old folks home. i still get them. use for either target practiv=ce, or to start bonfires
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

adidasguy

Coons have been avoiding things though the neighbor saw them. He still has fish. I'm cleaned out.
So I ordered some raccoon bait in hopes it works better than marshmallows, food scraps and other garbage.

codajastal

Quote from: adidasguy on July 11, 2013, 10:46:52 PM
Coons have been avoiding things though the neighbor saw them. He still has fish. I'm cleaned out.
So I ordered some raccoon bait in hopes it works better than marshmallows, food scraps and other garbage.
Yea same problem with the coons here too :dunno_black:
I am not interested in anything you have to say
Don't bother talking to me, I will not answer you

Janx101

Quote from: codajastal on July 11, 2013, 10:59:51 PM

oooooooooh .. you went there!!!

we aint allowed to bait ours though!  :dunno_black: :icon_twisted:

codajastal

C'mon I just posted what every one of us Aussies was thinking of posting :icon_twisted:
I am not interested in anything you have to say
Don't bother talking to me, I will not answer you

Janx101

I was thinking a different word!

adidasguy

In a brief phone book test, using a thin book (1.5" thick), I found:

Evanix air gun with .22 BB tip pellet through it and 1/2" into a pine board
Evanix air gun with .22 BB tip pellet through it and 1/2" into a plastic coleman cooler
Evanix went through 2" pine block (no phone book) and dented board behind it.
Benjamin Maurader air gun nearly through the book
.22 Colibri's into the book 3/4 the way
.22 Super Colibri through the book and just dented the coleman cooler.

Didn't test standard .22's as did the test inside. I might try one slow sub sonic .22 just to compare.

So the result is that an air gun is more powerful than Super Colibri .22's. Regular Colibri's are probably too weak for coons. Super Colibri's and air gun should easily take down varmints.

For the zombie invasion, look at the Henry US Survival. It looks pretty cool: it breaks apart and everything goes into the stock. Plastic waterproof stock 18" long. Perfect for a back pack or a bag on your bike.

I'm sure it is the same quality as the other Henry rifles. Should I get one?

How cool is this rifle! I find it is an AR-7 originally designed by the Armalite Corporation (who make the AR-15 and other rifles that start with "AR-"). 3 pounds and .22 LR

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kijona

I found myself comparing the AR-7 to the Ruger 10/22 Takedown model. Ultimately I decided on the Takedown because of its more user friendly profile. I did not find the AR-7 to be comfortable, either to shoot or to hold. The sights were rudimentary at best, in my opinion. Granted, it is much more compact and packable than the 10/22, but I'll sacrifice that in order to have better usability.

To me, if I hadn't known the AR-7 was made by Henry, I would have never guessed it.

yamahonkawazuki

Quote from: Janx101 on July 12, 2013, 12:09:18 AM
Quote from: codajastal on July 11, 2013, 10:59:51 PM

oooooooooh .. you went there!!!

we aint allowed to bait ours though!  :dunno_black: :icon_twisted:
Its only illegal if caught ;) same with gunfire here in clinton. illegal. county yes city no. imon 7 acres in city. my silent mexican ammo works great. borrowed single shot from shop. if funds allow, going to get it. no louder than a bb gun. yet lethal at 50+ft
".
A proud Mormon

adidasguy

Quote from: Kijona on July 13, 2013, 08:14:07 AM
I found myself comparing the AR-7 to the Ruger 10/22 Takedown model. Ultimately I decided on the Takedown because of its more user friendly profile. I did not find the AR-7 to be comfortable, either to shoot or to hold. The sights were rudimentary at best, in my opinion. Granted, it is much more compact and packable than the 10/22, but I'll sacrifice that in order to have better usability.

To me, if I hadn't known the AR-7 was made by Henry, I would have never guessed it.
The original AR-7 was not a Henry. One difference is Henry has orange inside the stock, not black as the original AR-7.
Henry has a rear peephole sight which looks rather nice.
You might look at the Henry Survivor and compare it to the AR-7 you saw before.
The reviews on the Henry are pretty good. I saw it at the store. Quite comfortable to hold and sight.

yamahonkawazuki

Weve got one of the henry survivals in stock. IMHO yes. get one. well built. not fancy like the other ones. or fancy like the pic you posted ( the gold & silver. ) but well worth it imho
".
A proud Mormon

adidasguy

Today was the usual garbage pick up day. Garbage taken away.

Janx101

Oh yes?...... Nice of them .... Had more garbage than usual?  :thumb:

yamahonkawazuki

Quote from: Janx101 on July 16, 2013, 02:18:49 PM
Id say it staunk worse than taco bell  after intos and cheese Eh? I want to round up enough to get that henry single shot youth rifle  and use the Mexican silent stuff city frownsupon gunfire. coons are here too.
".
A proud Mormon

adidasguy

Quote from: yamahonkawazuki on July 16, 2013, 02:39:56 PM
Quote from: Janx101 on July 16, 2013, 02:18:49 PM
Id say it staunk worse than taco bell  after intos and cheese Eh? I want to round up enough to get that henry single shot youth rifle  and use the Mexican silent stuff city frownsupon gunfire. coons are here too.
Meh - only stank bad Saturday when the sun was out, heating up the black plastic garbage can. Sunday evening and Monday it was cooler so no stankiness for trash pickup day. I double bag my garbage anyway.

From testing, Yama, a good air gun is more powerful than a Colibri or Super Colibri. (The free phone books worked good for testing ballistics). Super colibri's are very quiet in a rifle. Loud in a revolver or pistol. Regular Colibri's are a small pop like a cap gun in a revolver. Given the silence of an air gun and the power, you don't need noisy things with powder to deal with pesky problems. 18 grain BB tipped .22 pellet at 1000 fps packs quite a punch and can go through plywood and pine boards.

adidasguy

Henry .22 pump action with octagon barrel is sure hard to find.
On the lighter side, coons like to eat marshmallows, so it seems.......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk