Author Topic: Anime?  (Read 7315 times)

Offline Watcher

• What is this? I always know...
  • MotoGP Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach and Moto Enthusiast!
Re: Anime?
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2020, 12:51:28 AM »
Been a while, anyone watch anything new and worthwhile?  There are definitely some recommendations from this thread that I still need to seek, I've watched some new ones (and some old ones) and generally enjoyed myself, but I came across this one that's pretty different.

Shokugeki No Soma (Food Wars!) is a very unique take on an Iron Chef/Hell's Kitchen kind of thing where the best chefs from around the world enroll at a prestigious cooking school and compete with one another to try and rise through the ranks, gain fame, and eventually graduate and start some amazing restaurant.
Of course, in typical anime style, a headstrong protagonist conflicts with a stuck up antagonist, drama and intrigue abound, characters are zany and bring a decent amount of humor to the mix, and of course they drag that suspense pretty hard with serialized episodes and a season long overarching plot line.
The anime is created by a bunch of foodies, so the art and creativity with the featured dishes is pretty astounding, though the anime does suffer a bit from recycling a "hidden twist" trope with most of the winning foods as well as tending towards a lot of exposition.  Though, overall it's very entertaining and I would recommend a watch to anyone who is into food stuffs and anime.

The catch?  Umm...  it's kind of...  well it's a little bit... it sort of gets... inappropriate?  And it may mislead people nearby to think it's hentai?
Ok, I know that's super vague.  It doesn't show nor imply any sexual activity, mind you, but, well, sometimes the food is so good one might describe it as *ahem* "orgasmic."  It's totally clean apart from, well, noises...  And sometimes the characters' clothes explode, so that's a thing...  But nothing is shown, everything remains covered by - I guess debris?
It has those moments where if someone walks in at the wrong time while you're watching it you'll have a hell of a time trying to sell "it's a cooking show, I swear!"
Early seasons are hype.  Seasons 4 and 5 kinda lose their direction if you ask me.

I dunno, don't knock it 'till you try it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 12:54:19 AM by Watcher »
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk