Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

Anime?

Started by Watcher, June 09, 2018, 12:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Watcher

You put SAO over Log Horizon?  Seriously?   :cookoo:
:laugh:

I'm also surprized you've put Miyazaki's works at the bottom.

Unless, of course, the list isn't ranked and is just a collection of stuff you've seen.
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

scratch

I'm going to date myself with this one:

G-Force

and

Starblazers

just finished Girls und Panzer
The motorcycle is no longer the hobby, the skill has become the hobby.

Power does not compare to skill.  What good is power without the skill to use it?

QuoteOriginally posted by Wintermute on BayAreaRidersForum.com
good judgement trumps good skills every time.

KHnTX

Quote from: Watcher on June 24, 2018, 08:54:58 PM
You put SAO over Log Horizon?  Seriously?   :cookoo:
:laugh:

I'm also surprized you've put Miyazaki's works at the bottom.

Unless, of course, the list isn't ranked and is just a collection of stuff you've seen.

Yeah, I was kinda rushing myself to finish before I had to sleep so it isn't in any specific order like I had planned.  The list just came out that way.  I was trying to keep a list on my phone's memo pad but I kept forgetting to save it before it went to standby and it wiped everything out and I had to start over again till I got fed up and e-mailed it to myself instead.

KHnTX

Quote from: scratch on June 25, 2018, 05:18:58 AM
I'm going to date myself with this one:

G-Force

and

Starblazers

just finished Girls und Panzer

Did you know they made a live action of Starblazers in 2010?   It was actually really good.

Watcher

I mentioned Nichijou before, it's on Crunchyroll now!

Don't have Crunchyroll?  Whats wrong with you! :nono:

I'm rewatching it and I'm reminded of why I liked it to begin with.  It's epic while mundane, but that's the point!  It also has wild swings in animation style, which works well to capture the moods of the characters and ads flavor to what's happening on screen.

Found a great YouTube video (Parental Advisory) that highlights the show, but you really need to watch it for yourself.

-Neil Peart

qcbaker

I watched "Mary and the Witch's Flower" recently. It was entertaining and the animation was incredibly well done. Its apparently made by some former Studio Ghibli people, and the animation style really shows it. But, its much more geared towards kids than other films like it. It has that "normal kid in a fantastical world" feel that Spirited Away does, but it lacks the nuance and subtlety that Miyazaki's films do. Still worth the watch, I think.

Also, I have watched all of what's available of My Hero Academia and I've enjoyed it for the most part. There's a bit of light fanservice, which always makes me roll my eyes, and a couple of the characters are just the embodiment of anime tropes. But, its well written for the most part and the action sequences are great. Definitely worth watching if you like anime. Wouldn't be what I recommend to someone who hasn't watched much anime before though.

Lastly, I caught up on Attack on Titan by re-watching Season 1, then watching Season 2 and the first 2 episodes of season 3, which I had not watched. Definitely one of my favorites. IMO, the show gets better and better as it goes on. The only complaints I have are the incredibly long waits between seasons, and the fact that there is a bit of corner cutting when it comes to animation. Attack on Titan has some of the most well-animated action sequences I've ever seen, but there are also times when you're essentially just watching an animated face on a stiff body with a quickly scrolling background. I'm 99% sure its to save the animation budget for the action sequences, which is fine I guess, but its still a bit disappointing to see such low effort stuff from a studio that is capable of much better work. In the grand scheme of things, I guess that's more of a nitpick than anything else. Since the show is basically brilliant otherwise.

pliskin

Rain took out my dish TV and they cant fix it until tomorrowyso I'm sitting here watching a vhs of Heavy Metal. This has to be one of my top 2 all time favorite. I don't know if its considered Anime but it should be. I'm talking about the one from Heavy Metal Magazine back in1980. Crankin on my 90's surround  rack stereo setup.

Everyone on this forum should have seen this movie. James Earl Jones and that green orb. If you haven't you have no business talking about cartoons.

Before this I watched cheech and cheong up in smoke.  :bowdown:

No lie
Why are you looking here?

qcbaker

I started watching Aggretsuko on Netflix. Its suprisingly entertaining. A bit surreal at times (the show follows an office worker who hates her job and does death metal karaoke to vent her anger), which is great if you enjoy that type of thing. But its also very relatable for anyone who has worked in an office.

qcbaker

I've really been on an anime kick lately...

I started watching Fate/Zero last night. Seems okay so far, first few episodes lay it on a bit too heavy with the exposition for my tastes, but maybe I'll feel different after I watch a few more episodes.

Watcher

Found, started, and finished "Made in Abyss" over the last two days, it's quite profound.

Stay away if you're easily disturbed, but it has a compelling story, interesting and lovable characters, and a uniqie and mysterious lore, but what really sets it apart is the juxtaposition of art style to story events and content.

The cliff-notes version is there's what's essentially a giant pit (the Abyss) in the center of an island, noone knows how deep it goes, and within are many ancient artifacts and ruins that hold riches and incredible powers.  However, it is inhabited by many hostile fantastical creatures that grow more powerful the deeper you go.  To make matters worse, the area is cursed such that the deeper you go the more physically difficult it is to ascend.  For the first layer a person may experience dizziness or nausea during ascent, deeper down then hallucinations and loss of motor control, then hemorrhaging of the oraphices, finally reaching a point where if you go to the deepest depths return simply means death or "loss of humanity".

Introducing Riko, a child of about 12 years old, the daughter of some veteran "cave raiders" (Abyss explorers) who are presumed dead.  She lives in an orphanage which doubles as a training academy for cave raiders.
One day while on a training mission she finds a boy robot who is thought to originate from the Abyss.  She befriends the boy, names him Reg, and gains him admittance to the orphanage as a trainee.  Shortly after, the town receives a delivery from one of the deepest known depths of the Abyss with some items implicating that Riko's mother is still alive and at the absolute bottom of the Abyss.
Along with Reg she sneaks out from the orphanage and embarks on a quest to the bottom of the Abyss to find her mother.
That's about where the story, while despite having heavy overtones, stops being relatively light hearted and hopeful and starts being, well, horrible.

Death, torment, despair, terrible realizations, crushing sadness, and other hardships pile on rather rapidly and quite heavily for the rest of the show, with very little in the way of relief, comic or otherwise, and much in the way of suspense.
And here's where the art style really comes into it's own.  It's adorable.  Very much so.  Initially you'd think they would use this as a way to break the tension of the environment, but they do quite the opposite.  The main characters are made incredibly child-like, which makes sense since they are children, but it often comes as a painful reminder and adds incredible contrast to the situations they are in.  Adult characters are also often done very cute, in a sense, and the shock factor of witnessing something terrible or terrifying gets you straight in the gut.

It isn't all despair, however, as at least one friendly character is met on the way down.  One in particular joins the cast as a protagonist, though even that person is enveloped in a tale of personal tragedy.  I won't leave anything more in the way of spoilers.

This one is a definite recommendation by me, but comes with a big advisory.  It's pretty f_@#ed up most of the time, you will experience "the feels", and it ends on a cliffhanger.  That being said, a second season IS in production so the suspense will be resolved soon enough.

-Neil Peart

qcbaker

I started watching the Castlevania anime on Netflix recently. Its very good so far. Maybe I'll write a longer impression when I finish it, all I really have to say now is if you like Castlevania, and you like anime, you'll like this.

qcbaker

Quote from: qcbaker on September 10, 2018, 09:18:05 AM
I've really been on an anime kick lately...

I started watching Fate/Zero last night. Seems okay so far, first few episodes lay it on a bit too heavy with the exposition for my tastes, but maybe I'll feel different after I watch a few more episodes.

Follow-Up on Fate/Zero: I did not feel different after a few episodes.  My feelings about the "exposition" early on essentially evolved into an intense dislike of the writing as a whole. The show constantly violates the "show, dont tell" rule of storytelling. The show doesn't treat its viewers as intelligent and constantly overexplains everything that happens on screen. Truth be told, literally everything about the show except for the character design and action sequences bored me to tears.

qcbaker

Quote from: qcbaker on December 03, 2018, 09:40:16 AM
I started watching the Castlevania anime on Netflix recently. Its very good so far. Maybe I'll write a longer impression when I finish it, all I really have to say now is if you like Castlevania, and you like anime, you'll like this.

Finished Castevania last night. I thought it was great. My only complaint is that the pacing felt a bit too fast. Other than that, I loved it. Definitely recommended.

Watcher

An anime about motorcycles!?

Bakuon! is totally an anime about motorcycles!

Ok, so, technically it's about a group of high-school girls in a motorcycle club who go on trips and stuff together, and if you can't get past the typical anime "fan service" style of over -ahem- "emphasizing" young girls then this won't be for you (though it isn't too ridiculous here).
But if you're into that (I don't judge) or don't care then Bakuon! is a pleasantly knowledgeable anime about motorcycles and motorcycling in general.

It pokes fun at all the normal motorcyclist stereotypes, too.  As a group they crap on the Suzuki owner constantly, speak towards how "boring" Honda's are, the Ducati is always breaking down (not to mention groups of Ducatists are typically portrayed with superiority complexes), in at least one scene a group of bikes automatically raise their side stands and topple onto each other, and it suddenly raining after cleaning all the bikes.
In a not so subtle homage to The Stig, one of the girls is mute and never takes off her Simpson helmet.
They even deal with typical rider stuff like running out of gas on a long trips or lamenting that perfect motorcycle that's just out of reach.

And by pleasantly knowledgeable, I mean they must have actually had some riders on staff because they've got brands and designs, and even techniques, down to a T!
Models of motorcycles actually exist and look like they're supposed to.
Arai helmets look like Arai helmets.  Same for Shoei, etc.
Even the actual riding techniques they reference are true, such as target fixation and such.
It's an anime by motorcyclists for motorcyclists!

If you wanna check it out it's streaming now on VRV.
Never heard of VRV?
Well, if you pay for CrunchyRoll, you should subscribe to VRV and then cancel your CR subscription, because VRV includes CrunchyRoll premium and several other channels, both anime and non, both cartoon and non, and even documentaries and nerd/gamer TV.
Bonus, it's just $10/mo

-Neil Peart

qcbaker

Quote from: Watcher on January 18, 2019, 10:06:42 PM
An anime about motorcycles!?

Bakuon! is totally an anime about motorcycles!

QuoteOk, so, technically it's about a group of high-school girls in a motorcycle club who go on trips and stuff together, and if you can't get past the typical anime "fan service" style of over -ahem- "emphasizing" young girls then this won't be for you (though it isn't too ridiculous here).

QuoteBut if you're into that (I don't judge)

I hereby volunteer to judge them on your behalf.

or don't care then Bakuon! is a pleasantly knowledgeable anime about motorcycles and motorcycling in general.

It pokes fun at all the normal motorcyclist stereotypes, too.  As a group they crap on the Suzuki owner constantly, speak towards how "boring" Honda's are, the Ducati is always breaking down (not to mention groups of Ducatists are typically portrayed with superiority complexes), in at least one scene a group of bikes automatically raise their side stands and topple onto each other, and it suddenly raining after cleaning all the bikes.
In a not so subtle homage to The Stig, one of the girls is mute and never takes off her Simpson helmet.
They even deal with typical rider stuff like running out of gas on a long trips or lamenting that perfect motorcycle that's just out of reach.

And by pleasantly knowledgeable, I mean they must have actually had some riders on staff because they've got brands and designs, and even techniques, down to a T!
Models of motorcycles actually exist and look like they're supposed to.
Arai helmets look like Arai helmets.  Same for Shoei, etc.
Even the actual riding techniques they reference are true, such as target fixation and such.
It's an anime by motorcyclists for motorcyclists!

All joking aside, its always cool when a show of any kind shows that level of respect for its subject matter (Even if I probably won't watch it because I really dislike fanservice-y anime lol). IIRC, Initial D is pretty similar in that regard, although its about cars and the 80's/90's japanese street racing scene rather than motorcycles.

If you wanna check it out it's streaming now on VRV.
Never heard of VRV?
Well, if you pay for CrunchyRoll, you should subscribe to VRV and then cancel your CR subscription, because VRV includes CrunchyRoll premium and several other channels, both anime and non, both cartoon and non, and even documentaries and nerd/gamer TV.
Bonus, it's just $10/mo

Lol how much are CR/VRV paying you for these plugs?

qcbaker

I started watching Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn. I'm currently 3 episodes in. Its pretty cool so far. Has references to some older Gundam stuff that might confuse people who aren't familiar with it. But, even without that background knowledge its entertaining.

petro

TWO CAR is an anime about ...wait for it... a bunch of high school girls (shock & surprise) that compete against each other in side-car racing.
Makes no difference to me but if it matters, the fanservice is minimal by anime standards. The main stories revolve around the relationships between rider & passenger and how their on-track/off-track interactions affect each other. I'm not an expert in sidecar racing but I know it's pretty hairy stuff. They definitely made some effort toward realistic bikes and racing action.

As a "sports anime", the stories are OK but nothing fantastic. But given the limited choices of motorcycle themed shows, it's definitely worth a watch.

qcbaker

Quote from: qcbaker on January 28, 2019, 07:35:46 AM
I started watching Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn. I'm currently 3 episodes in. Its pretty cool so far. Has references to some older Gundam stuff that might confuse people who aren't familiar with it. But, even without that background knowledge its entertaining.

Finished MSG:UC. Worth a watch, especially if you're already a fan of other Gundam stuff.

Gundam has always been "Look at these awesome mechs! Look at how cool these mech fights are! Now... how does that make you feel?" and this is much the same. Basically, 90% of the non-fight scenes are philosophical debates about the morality of war, explorations of emotions, and talking about what makes us human. Par for the course for Gundam as far as I'm concerned.

Probably gonna try and watch another Gundam series next, since its reliably entertaining and I more or less know what I'm in for. Heard very good things about Iron Blooded Orphans, so that's probably next on my list.

qcbaker

Gotten back on the anime train in recent weeks. Haven't gotten to any of the Gundam stuff I wanted to watch, but what I have watched has been pretty good so I guess I can't complain:

OPM season 2: banger after banger IMO, love it.

AoT Season 3 part 2: only 1 episode so far but also a banger, as expected. Also love it.

Also started watching Parasyte: The Maxim. A little tropey at times, but overall very enjoyable. Action sequences are great, the main story is intriguing, and it has that philosophy twist that I can't seem to resist lol.

Watcher

Gin Tama!

Has a lot of jokes that perhaps would only make sense to someone well versed in Japanese culture and history, but the translation does a good job of making it relatable and it's down right hilarious regardless!

Bit of an older anime, only recently discovered it.  Follows a dedicated samurai in a weird futuristic Edo period where Earth is taken over by aliens.  Hilarity ensues.

Recommended.  Not a perfect 10 but it's very entertaining.

-Neil Peart

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk