News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

Helloooo!

Started by BeardedThunder, June 19, 2018, 08:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardedThunder

First, hardest freakin CAPTCHA ever. 

Second, glad to find this place, its absolutely loaded with info.  I just picked up a '91 GS500E from a trade.  A previous owner may have stored it parked outside the door of a salt mine or something, it seems randomly rusty.  Just surface rust though it seems but the exhaust (partially wrapped in tape) seems suspect.

It came with the paint pre-butchered, so it will need a repaint of some sort.  And lots of rustyish screws replaced.

Here it is, sitting shyly in the corner.

cbrfxr67

"stored it parked outside the door of a salt mine"

Looks great to me.  What's that red beasty next to it?  What're you're plans for mighty gs?  Just wondering,....and,

"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

ShowBizWolf

Hahaha the CAPTCHAs go away after ya post 5 times, don't worry :D

Welcome to the forum!! I have the same questions as cbr. Hope to see ya post more :cheers:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

BeardedThunder

It immediately needs the left fork seal replaced, it dumped all over the garage floor.  I can't ride it again until that is resolved.

I am not certain if I want to pull the frame and paint it or just mask off what I can get to.  Here's two photos showing the random rust I was referring to earlier.  I assume the paint job they were doing was not completed, or they got a step out of order.  All of the paint has to go.  I've never painted or prepped for paint, so I will probably dislike it very much.  I have gotten fat and lazy over the years.

It's stablemates are a '94 Suzuki RF600R and a '04 BMW R1150RT.  I traded for an XL600R, but I just cant kick it anymore.  I have had a variety of bikes over the years, I always end up buying bikes in the $1000-$3000 range, keeping them for a few years, then selling for about what I paid for it. 

ShowBizWolf

My GS had similar random rust spots like that but not as bad... those kinds of things drive me crazy.

I just got done building new forks for my bike, it was a fun project for sure. I've been riding with leaky seals for way too long now, I admit.
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

cbrfxr67

those were some ginormous pics

Sweet bikes.  Can't wait to see your progress on gs.  If youre interested, hope to see that red beasty in the picture game :icon_razz:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

BeardedThunder

Picture game?

Not sure why they came out so large, thx for reposting.  I can't ride it with the fork seal leak, it's dumping fluid whenever weight is put on it.  I've ridden plenty with a weepy seal, but not like this.

cbrfxr67

picture game,.....i think challenge is your bike at the beach right now,...

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=45412.5560

you can use whatever bike you have,...some arsehole taking pics of his Harley on there  :bs:

Be sweet to see your red one post up! :star: :star: :star:
-buddha

BeardedThunder

Gotchya - if I wasn't waiting on a sprained ankle/knee to heal, I'd capture the beach one.  I'm in Wilkesboro NC, and the Kerr Scott reservoir has several public beaches.

I think I have decided to pull it apart and rebuild it.  I have never done that before.  Sometimes, changing a sparkplug can be challenging for me.  I'm a smart fella but I tend to poke myself in the eye a bit with tools.  This should be fun and only kinda painful.  I plan to start with the forks because they are getting messy.  My only concern in an overall rebuild is the wiring.  It is in questionable shape.  I assume there are plenty of wiring diagrams around by now.

I'll start a build thread as soon as I get through the CAPTCHA.  It takes me several tries each time I post, even when listening to the letters.

cbrfxr67

I think it hits you 5 times on the captcha before you break free from its evil restrainment.  :2guns:  There were plenty of good wiring harnesses on ebay last time i needed one.  Maybe just swap it out and call it a day?  Oh and for some reason everytime I read the title of your thread,...i hear this in my head

-buddha

ShowBizWolf

Hahahaha cbr you find the perfect gifs! I love that movie sooo much... I think I need to watch it again (for the millionth time haha) !!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk