Need a manual?  Buy a Clymer manual Here

Main Menu

Greetings - New Member From The U.K.

Started by Hornchurch, August 31, 2020, 12:31:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hornchurch

'

Hi & Greetings folks !

I've been viewing your (very) interesting forum for some time now - (Just decided to join)

I've been riding just over 40+ years now - Bought my 1st-Bike (125cc), back in Early 1980 (London commuting)

Passed my 'Test' on my beloved Suzuki GSX.250-E (very angular styling !), around Sept' 1981.

Following summer, I bought a really lovely 'Late-Model' Yamaha XS.500 from an Ex-Professional Racer.

He'd lowered the Gearing (considerably) & the damn-thing went like a rocket (low-down-pull)

Even several of my mates who ALL had 1,000cc Bikes remarked upon how fast it was on pull-away**

** (Although that was at the sacrifice of -20mph top-end, so my XS.500 would get to 95mph & just stay there, no more)

Bought a brand-new Kawasaki Z.1000-J in Jan'1984 (Made famous by Eddie Lawson in '81/'82) which was BEAUTIFUL  (see below)

I was still riding it, some 13-14 years later, then, as an 'Instructor' where, ironically, we had a "Fleet" of Suzuki GS.500's

Rode the THREE GS.500's that we had on the fleet, daily & in all weathers, including in winter-time snow & ice, all year round.

There was a HUGE call & back-log for U.K folks passing their tests, before new-laws came-in, in 1997 ('Direct-Access')

Toured Europe extensively in June 1984 ('D-Day' beaches, Normandy), plus 1992 & 1993 (Ardennes Battlefield area, Belgium/Lux'bg)

Owned a GPz.1100 Unitrak, my Z.1000-J, Honda CB.900-F, Suzuki GS.1000-E, plus a GPz900-R (Top-Gun, Hahahahaa) & an X7 Suzuki

I still own THREE of the above, today  -  My 550-Zephyr, plus my latest addition, my GS500 Twin now makes FIVE currently.

As I say, I've found this site most enlightening already & plenty of useful advice seems to be here (members riding high-mileages)

I don't ride so much these days (I'm getting 'old'  :roll:), but I still get out n' about & still LOVE riding.

Hope that's not TOO long of an intro'

Catch you guys on the board  -  Go easy on me, being a newb' etc.

Once I fathom "how" to do it, I'll put some pix of my bikes up  -  Cheers,  'Hawny'    aka  'Hornchurch

Hornchurch's Kawasaki Z.1000-J at Utah-Beach, Normandy, June 1984 by Hornchurch_Aerodrome, on Flickr

Hornchurch

'

Incidentally, as this IS a dedicated Suzuki GS.500 'Twin' forum, I thought it best that I show the bike I've just bought, which bought me HERE

BTW  ;   The photograph wasn't taken by me - This picture is just "how I saw it" down in the storage-unit, just before I bought it.

It's a 2002 model  ('K.2'),   on a year 2003 plate   -   Very low-mileage  -  (which attracted me towards it, in the first place)

The windscreen and the box/rail/rack-system are all made by 'GIVI' (Italy) and they came with the bike - (I've detached the top-box)

Suzuki GS 500 (12) by Hornchurch_Aerodrome, on Flickr   

Sporty

Welcome... form another recent new member!

Nice clean bike!
Used Suzuki GS500 = motorcycle adventure without leaving the shop.

Current motorcycles: 1993 GS500E, 1996 XL1200, 1999 ST1100

Hornchurch

Quote from: Sporty on September 01, 2020, 05:23:58 PM

Nice clean bike!

'

Hi Sporty,   Nice to hear from another member on the board - Otherwise, it's WAAAAAY too quiet here - (Sage Bush rollin' !)

Thanks for the warm welcome mate, it's appreciated.

I may be wrong here, but I get the initial idea that this wonderful board isn't frequented or visited 'that' often, am I wrong ?

I did actually notice that the U.K. "baby forum" branch WAS "As Dead As A Dodo" - Like ONE post in the last FOUR YEARS  (laughs !)

Hardly what you'd call frequent, hence I placed this within the general 'meet & greet' section.

Right, changing subject....  I've only JUST bought my 'new' (2nd-hand bike), GS.500 - Took it out for it's first-ride-ever, today (2nd Sept')

Took it out for a 49-mile run - Being honest, am a li'l underwhelmed with it - Mainly coz I'm used to larger more powerful bikes.

To be honest, I've become SO 'used to' using 4-cyl 900cc & 1,000cc with mucho grunt, but mostly it's their SMOOTH delivery too.

My 'new' (2nd-hand), LOW-MILEAGE Suzuki GS500 feels a li'l "Agricultural" in terms of it's engine.

Must add this, invariably - Because the LAST time I owned/drove/rode MY OWN 500cc Twin, was back in April 1988 - (Yamaha XS500)

That YAMAHA XS500 was VERY well set-up & had smooth (but complex, I'm told), counterbalance-weights - A GREAT BIKE it was too.

"If" the two - (GS500 & Yam'XS500) - were side by side & I could only ever have one of them, I'd choose the Yamaha XS500 every time.

Today, 2nd Sept' (well, alright, we're NOW into the early hours of 3rd  ;)), I did notice that the Suzuki GS500 handles very well.

Mine has a very, very 'Low' 9,000 miles on the clock & it's ALL certified "Genuine"

I have ALL it's M.o.T's  (annual check-sheets, Gov't certified), starting from 2004, when it had just 883 miles on the clock.

The GREAT thing about my particular GS.500 (which is a 'K2' model), is that it "IS" totally  bog-standard - Not been F'kd with.

Had it outside today & it looks STUNNING (condition-wise, as GS500's go) - Honestly, the (dealer/LAME), photographs DO NOT do it justice

TBH, I was expecting SOME rust & tarnishing on the exhaust, but there is NONE - The exhaust is original & in STUNNING condition

Looks like someone HAS 'touched-up' the Silver-frame (a lame job), with rattle-can spray, but I'll live with it - It's no big-deal.

Garaged usually, I had it out in the courtyard & honestly, the paint-scheme is "The Best" in my humble opinion "Saturn Black Metallic"

Even the Givi screen looks good, tho' to be fair, once riding in a brisk-wind, it didn't seem much different than my naked Zephyr or GS1000

Tyres it came with are 'Bridgestone Battleaxe' - I've only used Pirellis before on my GS1000 or Metzlers on my Z.1000-J

Idle "IS" a bit of an issue at the minute, as the bike HAS had multiple owners BEFORE me  (Hey, I got it 'cheap' - can't complain)

Found myself "fannying-around" with the Idle-screw, below, vague at best, as I'm SURE it'll need the valves (clearances) looked at.

As with ALL (2nd-hand), bikes that are 'used' & no-service-history, am still getting used to it & it's "Agricultural" foibles.

Engine oil is "as clean as a whistle" - cleaner than the Extra-Virgin-Olive-Oil that I see in supermarkets   :cheers:

Haven't had the tank off yet - Air Filter DOES NOT appear to be as clean as the Sump Oil  (but that's a cheap easy fix)

Wish I wasn't SO mechanically challenged (!), as I DID the valves (shims), on BOTH my Z.1000-J and my GS1000-E

That, of course, DID NOT mean taking off the carbs, as I'm presuming you do with the GS500  (or so it appears, seeing You Tube vid's)

My arse started to ache (my fat-arse), after the 49-miles - Guess that's expected w/skinny seat - Gel cushion (China) is on the way.

Lastly - Given the bike has SUCH low-miles & is in such nice-condition, I'll prob' get the valves sorted early next-year, before summer

My half-educated guess "is", that given multiple-owners, yet SUCH low-mileage, means they've played "Pass The Buck"

In other words, no B'strd has (ever), kept it long-enough to be bothered to get the valves (shims/clearances) "sorted" (My Guess)

Guy who sold it me said "It's had new oil, filters, valves checked/ADJUSTED (yeah, right !), plus new Fork-Seals.

At the price I bought it for, it's a "HUGE BANG 4 BUCK" bike, as 125cc's (of same age & older), were dearer still, price-wise !

I still think that these bikes, the Suzuki GS.500 ,  is a GREAT bike/option for a general "all rounder" & for those on a lesser-budget

Plus over here, they fall into a lower Insurance category, in fact just above that of the average 250cc, half the engine-size & power...

sledge

I remember seeing plenty of green ones, I remember plenty of red ones, dont remember ever seeing a blue one though  :thumb:

gruntle

Welcome Old Fruit - the 1st thing to realise about the GS500 is that it's a sewing machine revver not a torque beast thumper.
I too anticipated the legendary pulling power of a 500 twin and was initially seriously underwhelmed...

7 years on and 26000mls later I thoroughly enjoy the bike (having also ridden many 1000's mls on bigger 4 cyls that were squirt and go rockets). The bike has a very narrow powerband between 7-9000 rpm - not much point in revving higher except to be closer to 7000 on gear changes - and you will be WORKING that gearbox radically and all the time.

If you are familiar with two-stroke riding then it's much more akin to that style, ie: scream the balls off and work the gears - that's if'n you want a bit of excitement anyway.

Frankly, the bike is a plodder with a bit of hilarious amusement if you scream it and really throw it into corners (the front end really is from a rocking horse and utterly laughable)...

And yet... that is precisely its appeal to riders that yearn for a bike that has to be RIDDEN not just sat on and squirted - you'll need to understand its foibles and work with them.

It's worth checking the valve clearances this early on just so you know where you're at, but if you only use the bike at plodding speeds then it won't be necessary for, like forever. If you do scream the engine regularly then the valves will tighten very rapidly so need checking at the 4000 intervals. Regular Oil and Filter changes are an absolute MUST, Air Filter naaahh, not really... Carb rebuild if it's been standing yonks 'cos the float valves gum up with crud and stick, resulting in the notorious hanging idle amongst other probs.

'tis a grand bike for pootling about on most of the time with the occasional loony scream when you feel the need for ridiculous amounts of hairaising silliness...
:angeldevil:

Sporty

Quote from: Hornchurch on September 02, 2020, 06:08:20 PM

Nice clean bike!

'

Hi Sporty,   Nice to hear from another member on the board - Otherwise, it's WAAAAAY too quiet here - (Sage Bush rollin' !)

I may be wrong here, but I get the initial idea that this wonderful board isn't frequented or visited 'that' often, am I wrong ?

I did actually notice that the U.K. "baby forum" branch WAS "As Dead As A Dodo" - Like ONE post in the last FOUR YEARS  (laughs !)

Hardly what you'd call frequent, hence I placed this within the general 'meet & greet' section.

Looking at the forum stats, I expected a lot more activity.

QuoteForum Stats
757862 Posts in 61890 Topics by 17943 Members.

The three quarters of a million posts doesn't just happen. This was a busy board for quite a while.

The GS500 hasn't been made for while and it's kind of an entry level bike. Maybe those prolific posters
have moved on?

The knowledge base in the archives and the GS wiki is very good. It's been a huge help on my project.

For now, there seems to be just enough people to get a question answered within a day or so.
Used Suzuki GS500 = motorcycle adventure without leaving the shop.

Current motorcycles: 1993 GS500E, 1996 XL1200, 1999 ST1100

Hornchurch

Quote from: Sporty on September 05, 2020, 06:34:48 PM
Quote from: Hornchurch on September 02, 2020, 06:08:20 PM

Nice clean bike!

'

Looking at the forum stats, I expected a lot more activity.

QuoteForum Stats
757862 Posts in 61890 Topics by 17943 Members.

The three quarters of a million posts doesn't just happen. This was a busy board for quite a while.

The GS500 hasn't been made for while and it's kind of an entry level bike. Maybe those prolific posters
have moved on?

The knowledge base in the archives and the GS wiki is very good. It's been a huge help on my project.

For now, there seems to be just enough people to get a question answered within a day or so.

'

Hi again Sporty & thanks for both your observations, plus the warm welcome ya gave - (Gruntle & Sledge, too   :thumb: Cheers Lads)

I know just how helpful these forums CAN be - When I bought my '900-F' I joined that forum & it too, was SO helpful.

Laughing, because THAT was my first HONDA, EVER !!!!!!!

I'd generally been avoiding HONDA like the plague - It always seemed like MOST of my bikes (post 1988), were either SUZUKI or KAWASAKI

I'd always LIKED the '900-F' since it came-out, plus I'd ridden at least 3 of them, LONG before I'd ever seen mine.

Just saw it one-day, over on Ebay & it looked 'lush' & reminded me of my teenage-years, just as I was really getting into bikes.

Bizarrely, my wife said "Go on, DO IT, pull the trigger, it looks like a REALLY nice bike" - (& it still was/is !)

Again, bizarrely, I paid about the same money, early 2006, as I have now, some 14+ years later, for my own 'new' GS500.

But even then, as an 'old-bike' forum (*this was the initial '900-F', not the naked-'Blade 900), it WAS a very, very active forum.

Over here, in England, you still do see & get A LOT of SUZUKI GS500's , so spares are plentiful.

Tongue-in-cheek, I'm assuming that it's "all you rich Yanks" that are or have moved-on to other bikes   :wink:

Anyways, the very fact that the forum is still here (with it's vast wealth of knowledge), is a blessing for guys like me.

I did have (much), previous "useage" experience of GS.500's in my previous job, as I rode them, day-in, day-out.

Mind you, they were absolute BRAND-NEW machines & the highest/newest, had barely 1,000-miles on the clock.

Like I say, I rode them to "earn my living", plus feed the wife, kids & self, plus of course "Pay the Mortgage".

But the thing is, they were NEVER MINE.

So I'd ride them all-day-long, often from 8am till 6pm, and even take one home for dinner (!), lunch-break.

Park it just inside the front-gate (steering lock only) - Shag th' wife, have lunch & get back for the next-course.

But yet 'not being mine', I never had the worry/hassle/bother with ANY of their maintainance, nor ownership 'foibles/grief'

Plus, being brand-spanking-new, there was NOTHING to go wrong with them, at that stage....

In fact my company-director (Rob'), had bought them, along with another fleet of CB.500's & larger fleet of Yamaha SR.125's

They were ALL good machines in their own respective fields, but ALL the Instructors wanted to 'plumb' for the CB.500's **

** (considered at the time to be a li'l more "luxurious", given it was all-day-riding)

That means I'd laugh & either get "mugged-off" with a brand-new GS500, or, be forced to use my own-bike (Sod THAT for a lark !)

I didn't buy my Z.1000-J to go 'training' students, so, I started leaving it at home & coming to work in my VOLVO 240 ESTATE **

**  (That garnered some laughs & bought A LOT of 'open-derision', which just made me laugh SO much more  :cheers:)

Getting paid a pittance just to 'knock the sheet' out of my own bike, was NOT my idea of a 'jolly' - Hence bringing-in the car  :icon_mrgreen:

Anyways, this was MY regular introduction towards the SUZUKI GS500-E Twin & I liked them, even back then.

Never dreamed or thought that I would ever own one tho'  -  C'est La Vie - Here we are & now, I do   :thumb:

"Gruntle & Sledge"  -  I'll get back to you guys on your wonderful posts (as in, 'replies'), another-night, soonish, one at a time.

I'm now having "visions" of those brand-new 'R'-reg ones (Metallic Turquoise w/White-Wheels  :dunno_white:) I rode, in the 1990's

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk