GS 500 F swingarm widening for a EV conversion

Started by Stanovsky, March 24, 2021, 05:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stanovsky

Hi, I am a proud own a GS500F and I'm trying to make a EV conversion based on it. I have only one problem. The wheels of the GS seem to be way too thin for the amount of torque which my motor produces (about 350Nm peak). Because of that the wheel on which the motor sits (it's a hub motor) has a dropout size of 230mm and I'm planning on putting 220/70 tires on it. So do you know of any way of fitting such a big wheel on the GS? Can I widen the swingarm or maybe replace it with another one from a different bike?
Thanks in advance! :D

Jim Knopf

Servus,

You can take a Swingarm from the Bandit 1200 and a 6" Wheel from the Hayabusa 1300.

SK Racing

What is the weight of the electric motor? Hub motors may work well in bicycles, but all that unsprung mass won't be good for handling on a powerful motorcycle. In my opinion, you'd be better off mounting it in the frame and using a chain. And it will also solve your wheel problem.

Do you have a link to the motor? Just curious because I'm interested in electric motors. Never built an EV though.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding!
1939 Panther 600cc Single - Stolen, 1970 Suzuki 50cc - Sold
1969 Triumph Bonneville 650 T120R - Sold, 1981 Honda CB750F - Sold
1989 Suzuki GS500E - Sold, 2004 Suzuki GS500F - Current ride

SK Racing

Quote from: Stanovsky on March 24, 2021, 05:36:21 AM
The wheels of the GS seem to be way too thin for the amount of torque which my motor produces (about 350Nm peak).

The Triumph Rocket 3 has the highest torque of any production motorcycle - 221Nm peak @ 4000 RPM. And you want to use an electric motor with 350Nm torque?

To put that into perspective, that's more torque than some of the Chevie small block engines.

And you say it's a hub motor?  Your post was a few days too early. You should have waited for April 1.  :nono:

Stanovsky

Quote from: SK Racing on April 08, 2021, 02:22:51 PM
What is the weight of the electric motor? Hub motors may work well in bicycles, but all that unsprung mass won't be good for handling on a powerful motorcycle. In my opinion, you'd be better off mounting it in the frame and using a chain. And it will also solve your wheel problem.

Do you have a link to the motor? Just curious because I'm interested in electric motors. Never built an EV though.

Here you go: https://www.qsmotor.com/product/17-inch-12kw-hub-motor/
I know that the site looks kinda sketchy but there are some youtube videos (check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdUaAszHZd4&list=RDCMUCtrf6ZiE6hw3k77hGpnuQWg&index=2) on the motor and QSMotor seems to be quite popular with the EV community therefore I am not affraid of it.

I may try the bandit swingarm if it doesn't work I'll have to settle with 8000kW motor i guess.

Thanks for your help guys!
I'll keep you posted on the project :)

SK Racing

Thanks for posting the links. That guy is very good with his hands. I couldn't help notice the absence of a video where he rides the electric bike. I wonder why.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

SK Racing

I found a video showing that guy riding the electric bike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYs_jYUyaoY#t=28m14s

At one point there is a lot of wheelspin on loose gravel. IMO it's not impressive at all and certainly not representative of the claimed 350Nm torque.

To get a better understanding of how electric motors in electric vehicles work, have a look at this: https://ebikes.ca/learn/power-ratings.html

The Buddha

Holeee eff ... 2:35 in, he makes a neck bearing without a bearing for the outer race ? OMG. It was easier to have made the step type of hole needed for a proper bearing. Or worst case cut 4 V notches knock the pipe inward, weld them in and use a proper tapered roller bearing.
I'm sure I'll add to this thread as I watch.

Oddly - nothing else - and how heavy is the thing ? The frame was super super thick wall, but I'd guess that battery isn't light either. The rest of the build was pretty good. Just heavy looking that's all.
Why weren't you impressed SK ? I dont know what speeds he got or what the range is on a full charge. So that's one limiting factor.

Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk