Author Topic: Aftermarket speedometer for the GS500  (Read 443 times)

Offline madacakuk

• Local Club Racer
Aftermarket speedometer for the GS500
« on: April 10, 2021, 10:52:34 AM »
Hey guys!

I just wanted to share my ongoing project and maybe help others installing an aftermarket speedometer. So long story short both my RPM meter and Speedo died last year, and since I didn't really like the original speedo I decided to order a new onehttps://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001284978290.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dlt53ke from Aliexpress.
It was cheap. Dirt cheap. Of course the connectors did not fit my bike, which is a 1997 gs500 EU so I had to redo the wiring completly with a help of a friend. This speedo does not have an oil light so I used the engine problem light instead. Also the gs does not have a fuel level sensor, nor gear sensors, but I really don't care :)
I also had to 3D print a console to get the speedo on the bike. I did not yet had the time to install it, but updates are comming in the following days.
I attached some pictures of the wiring, the 3d print which is sadly not perfect but as it is plastic its easy to fix it, (I might do it in the future if you guys need it :)) The speedo sensor also got a 3D printed console which I haven't tried yet.

here is the link for the files, and pictures :)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/14YpIrlelFqO4kHxIS_xLEAeK3MeNBuNn?usp=sharing

If you guys have any questions or tips Im happy to hear them. :D :D :D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 10:55:30 AM by madacakuk »

Offline samsei

• Local Club Racer
Re: Aftermarket speedometer for the GS500
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 02:18:29 AM »
Hey man that looks awesome!  :laugh:

I am also planning to replace my speedometer with a digital one on my 05' GS500F. I want to be able to see which gear I am so I did some research and found out I can buy new a gear sensor via AliExpress. With the new sensor I can connect the gear wires on the digital speedometer. In that way you will be able to view which gear you are on. Search for "GS500 gear sensor" and look for the right one.

Did you just splice the wires and joined them together wil soldering? I also was wondering how long the project took and how accurate the speedometer is?

« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 03:57:26 AM by samsei »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk