Author Topic: Engine rebuild  (Read 272 times)

Offline Saberwolf

• Local Club Racer
Engine rebuild
« on: May 09, 2021, 07:52:56 AM »
Came a cross GS500ET complete bike with one major issue 60 PSI flat on the left Cylinder as you sit on bike found out that issues with signal generator and the R t marker on the crank was either not the right part or damaged. tried to do a leak down test and found i had 100% leakby but could not tell from where i have not pulled the heads or check cylinder walls i suspect it is from the exhaust but might also be from the rings.

i dont want to mess with the 1 broken exhaust bolt that looks like it was attempted repair. was looking for new head part is discontinued. just need a bit of help finding parts

history of bike is friend bought it from someone in cali for 600 he gave it to me before even starting to work on it it has be dumped on its left side. i know the right cylinder has 120 psi compression test. i am thinking someone did not set the timing right i have to count the links in the change any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

is it worth wild to restore for your first bike? i have zero money in the bike right now.

Offline The Buddha

• The guru Ba-moo-derator
  • Administrator
  • Motorcycle God!
Re: Engine rebuild
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 07:17:55 AM »
Full engine rebuilds are almost never ever cost effective.
However just an upper end, with you doing all the work can be just about break even. On a bike usually you cant get lower end bearings so you're limited to upper end only.
Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk